DC Universe Online Trailer Unmasks Epic, Dark Plot

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
DC Universe Online Trailer Unmasks Epic, Dark Plot

[gametrailers=702049]​

A new trailer for DC Universe Online shows why heroes and villains will have to work together to save the world.

It's been five years since <a href=http://www.amazon.com/DC-Universe-Online-Hero-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0K898/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1280168756&sr=8-1>DC Universe Online first began production, but comic artist Jim Lee, Mark Hamill (best-known as the <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Beyond-Return-Will-Friedle/dp/0790749416/ref=sr_1_11?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1280169021&sr=1-11>voice of the Joker), comic scribe Marv Wolfman, and game director Chris Cao were on hand at Comic-Con to show off a new trailer that fleshed out the game's backstory.

Up until now, all that's been advertised about the plot was that players would create a costumed character who would be working with the big names of DC's comic universe. The new five-minute trailer explains what's going on and why the world could use such an influx of super-powered beings, no matter which side of the "Good vs. Evil" fence they're sitting on.

The trailer is pretty epic. It shows a major battle between future versions of the Justice League and their enemies, eventually resulting in most of the characters dying shortly before Brainiac shows up to effectively take over a now-defenseless Earth. At the end of the clip, it turns out Lex Luthor has traveled back from the future to explain the threat to the heroes in the present, and ends things by stating that everyone has to work together in order to prevent Brainiac from succeeding when he arrives.

DC hasn't had too many games that have actually been all that great, though <a href=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=arkham+asylum&x=0&y=0&sprefix=arkham+as&ih=4_3_0_1_0_1_0_0_0_1.73_131&fsc=2>Batman: Arkham Asylum seemed like it could be the beginning of a videogame renaissance for the company's various franchises. Based on the trailer, it certainly seems like DC Universe Online might very well continue this trend when it's released on November 2nd.

Source: <a href=http://comic-con.gamespot.com/story/6270905/dc-universe-onlines-big-bang-set-for-nov-2/?tag=latestheadlines;title;4>Gamespot

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
I've been impressed with it... enough to almost order in advance. I'm still waiting for someone to convince me otherwise. Not sure why...

Anyways, the story intro has intrigued me and I think it might actually be pretty good. I just don't like that the heroes or villains will whine to you when you don't answer the call because a bus just landed on grandma who was trying to save a kitten from it as you try to lift the thing before it goes sky high with both of them and the pet store that's just right near it... I'm sorry guys, you're full grown heroes and you've been at this longer than I, I'm pretty sure you don't need me to hold your hand and you shouldn't be upset with me doing my job.

In the case of Joker, I'm pretty sure he's going to gas me... which will be awkward when he realises I'm wearing a suit that filters out such toxins.

[sub]I know the suit thing won't work... toxins need to work regardless of the form or filter in the game... but I like the scene I am playing in my head.[/sub]

Mr. Grey

Aug 31, 2009
captainfluoxetine said:
I always figured he was best known as the guy in that film about a war which happened to be based amongst the stars.

Is this coming to consoles or did I dream that?
The PS3 only for the console. Is the PC a console or a platform?

And the controls of which look pretty good. The servers will be separated from the PC though, which I'm actually disappointed, but it's entirely understandable. What with the coding and such.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
captainfluoxetine said:
vansau said:
Mark Hamill (best-known as the <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Beyond-Return-Will-Friedle/dp/0790749416/ref=sr_1_11?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1280169021&sr=1-11>voice of the Joker)
I always figured he was best known as the guy in that film about a war which happened to be based amongst the stars.

Is this coming to consoles or did I dream that?
It's coming to the PS3 and PCs.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
Not to burst your bubble, but you're like half a week late. Even _I_ made a thread about it a couple of days ago!

Anyway, I hear that it's going to a standard $14.99 a month for PCs, and with PS3s you just need PSN+. Is this correct?

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I don't know anything about the Game, but I know that that trailer was damn near the most epic thing I've ever seen...

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Mantonio said:
Not to burst your bubble, but you're like half a week late. Even _I_ made a thread about it a couple of days ago!

Anyway, I hear that it's going to a standard $14.99 a month for PCs, and with PS3s you just need PSN+. Is this correct?
I know that PSN Plus isn't required for the game. That was part of the panel info session.

Mr. Grey

Aug 31, 2009
Archemetis said:
I don't know anything about the Game, but I know that that trailer was damn near the most epic thing I've ever seen...
http://dcuniverseonline.wikia.com/wiki/DC_Universe_Online_Wiki

There isn't a whole lot of info, and I apologise for that... but that's your best shot at learning as much as possible.

I haven't slept at all, so my memory is shot. Otherwise, I would give as much as possible.

Such as my rant in regards to when heroes and villains allegedly whine when you ignore them to go and be a hero/villain. Your seniors... asking for help. This doesn't work for villains because it shows weakness and it doesn't work for heroes because you idolized them.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
vansau said:
Mantonio said:

I know that PSN Plus isn't required for the game. That was part of the panel info session.
Those bastards!

How come PS3 Owners don't have to pay? Yet PC players are going to be nickled and dimed for it, you have my word!

Mr. Grey

Aug 31, 2009
Mantonio said:
vansau said:
Mantonio said:

Those bastards!

How come PS3 Owners don't have to pay? Yet PC players are going to be nickled and dimed for it, you have my word!
That doesn't mean you're not paying monthly already. I think it's this way so no one has to be excluded or pay an extra fee.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
There's never been any question about having to pay a subscription fee, but Sony's not stupid and isn't going to make you pay for PlayStation Plus on top of that in order to play the game.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
Mantonio said:
vansau said:
Mantonio said:

Those bastards!

There's still going to be a subscription fee, you just won't have to also have PSN Plus.
*edit* Double ninjad

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
Mr. Grey said:
Mantonio said:
vansau said:
Mantonio said:

Those bastards!

That doesn't mean you're not paying monthly already. I think it's this way so no one has to be excluded or pay an extra fee.
How is that so? PSN is free, you only have to pay for PSN+. They've said though that there will be a monthly subscription service for the game though. Which must now be referring to the PC owners.

How is that NOT paying an extra fee?

Mr. Grey

Aug 31, 2009
Mantonio said:
Mr. Grey said:
Mantonio said:
vansau said:
Mantonio said:

Those bastards!

How is that so? PSN is free, you only have to pay for PSN+. They've said though that there will be a monthly subscription service for the game though. Which must now be referring to the PC owners.

How is that NOT paying an extra fee?
No, you're paying through the PS3 as well, they're just not going to force you to get PSN+ on top of that.

PSN will be free, but you're going to pay monthly for the game on the PS3.