DC Universe Online

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Agreed.

MMOs based on a subscription must be about ownership.

Players must feel they own their characters. They have to be able to design exactly what they want, or the character doesn't feel like on they created. It feels like one they're renting.

The same goes for playstyle. If you can't engage in the activities you like, even if that's just beating up random guys for hours on end, you're not crafting an experience for yourself. You're borrowing an experience from a short list of pre-fab experiences.

When people feel like they are renting or borrowing something, they'll always be acutely aware of the cost. And if there's a cheaper (but equivalent) option available, they'll always take it. With the rise of mainstream free-to-play games, subscription-based games can't get away with this crap anymore.

GreyDuck

Jan 26, 2010
You know, I keep wanting to be interested in the latest capes-and-cowls game to come down the pipe, but my brief experience with Champs made me appreciate City Of all that much more... and from the looks of things, I wouldn't enjoy DCUO for very long at all.

Le sigh. I love City Of, but I'd ALSO love to see someone really come along and take it to the next level. And not just in terms of Oooh Shiny Graphics.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
DC Universe Online is out already? Why did nobody tell me?
To the game cave!

... or not. You have some pretty strong negative points there.

Apr 28, 2008
Shame, I was hoping that it would be good.

And restricting quests to certain classes? Thats just stupid.

EDIT: Seems it may be a bug, or something.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
I'll admit i was never interested in this game, especially not with it being released so close to the F2P Champions, and it seems i made the right choice not buying it, if, or rather when it goes F2P i might try it out, from what i have seen in reviews and screen shots gotham city looks awesome, but i dont feel like paying that much just for the few hours of fun flying around gotham, maybe if they introduced a just cause 2 method of moving around, cause i loved the travel system in that game but found the world to be a little boring.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
I'm not here to say you are wrong Shamus. I'm here just to point out a few things I noticed myself.

1. Combat: Agreed. It is not rewarded killing mooks. What I have noticed is that if you at least knick a mook needed for a quest you still get it. For example, if 4 people pummel on a mook and a 5th one comes in when it is nearly dead everyone gets the completion for the mook.

2. Cosutme: Yes, at the start you do lack costumes and get more later on. What you also get to do is to lock in any costume piece you get. In short, if you started looking like a man-bear-pig, you can still look like the exact same manbearpig with better gear at level 20. You can also change the color of your costume at any time, your hair (if unlocked) at any time, and costume look at anytime.

3. Agreed. Not enough powers. I never played champions online myself, but I personally do enjoy what I have now in DCUO.

I'm not here to say to play the game. I just wanted to put in my own view, nothing more.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
I agree with essentially every point he had. That's a rarity. I'm enjoying the game, but probably won't renew my subscription past the second month. Maybe not even the first, if the buggy issues they have don't get fixed in a reasonable time.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Irridium said:

Wait, what? Where did you find this out? To my knowledge I have done quests for Circe, Lex, and Jokers starter quests from one character. But i'm at level 10, but others at higher levels say you still do quests from each.

Apr 28, 2008
Negatempest said:
Irridium said:

Wait, what? Where did you find this out? To my knowledge I have done quests for Circe, Lex, and Jokers starter quests from one character. But i'm at level 10, but others at higher levels say you still do quests from each.
His blog. Although in retrospect it seems rather silly that I responded to it here...

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
My inner fanboy wants this game to be SOOOO good. I like an MMO that you can run solo or occasionally group with friends, I hate forced grouping, it's obnoxious, especially on a brandy new MMO's.

My buddy plays it, said it's really good. And I read on MMORPG.com that the time to get to the level cap is at least 40 hours. Just because there are top level characters out there now doesn't mean they did it in 20 hours. I figured people who beta tested got to bring their characters in. My only concern is how the PVP is. No one has even mentioned that.

There is no reason they couldn't add more costume pieces with each new monthly (as it stands now) update. With the new content could be more level caps, definitely more instances/dungeons. If you can't get new gear, it's stupid to even make new instances.

As far as the combat goes, it's supposed to be fun. Most MMO's have shitty combat. Usually, stand there and hit a number key.

I saw an interview with the lead designer. He very specifically said he wanted to make a game based off the DC Universe license that was fun to play with your friends, not a great MMO.

I'm completely on the fence about this game, I want it to be good. But, I'm not gonna run out and buy a game that may shut it's servers down in a month from now.

On the other hand, I usually only play any MMO for about 2 months tops. I also look at it this way. If I get 50 hours out of a game for $50, that is more than I got out of God of War 3 for $60. This can be said for Gears of War, Resistance and Killzone games.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Thank for confirming it since I was thinking the same thing when I saw the character creation videos. It just looks limited compare to Champion Online version.
I also don't like the whole mentor thing (the powers routes that your characters will follow like batman is for gadget people). My reason from what I saw (video trailer and demo) it was only Superman for meta, Batman for tech and Wonder Woman for magic, what if I made a bow and arrow theme hero and who is best fitted to mentor my character no other than Green Lantern? Also would Zatara would be best suit to mentor other magic base heroes then Wonder Woman.

ZakCanard

Anas Charisma
Oct 17, 2007
A work colleague was going to pick this up today for her fiancé, but when she found out about the subscription charge even for the PS3 version she was immediately put off.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Irridium said:
Negatempest said:
Irridium said:

His blog. Although in retrospect it seems rather silly that I responded to it here...
And to be fair, I had only discovered it when I wrote that post. I'm still not sure how it works. I just know I went to Metropolis and flew around, but nobody would give me quests. Perhaps it was a bug?

krellen

Unrepentant Obsidian Fanboy
Jan 23, 2009
Dexter111 said:
1. Combat is not rewarded
This doesn't really matter, as it is as you said a design choice...
It sort of matters. Of its two competitors (which are City of Heroes and Champions Online - this game is not competing with Behemoth Fantasy World of MMOCraft, or its copies), one follows the DCUO path of not rewarding combat while having (supposedly; my opinion differs from the apparent consensus) fun, engaging combat, while the other rewards combat enormously (not so much that you'd avoid doing missions, but enough that you likely spend extra time fighting during a mission) while having less engaging combat.

So you can either get the same thing for free (Champions Online is going Free To Play) or get combat rewarded for the same price. Not really a great place to be, choice-wise.

2. Lack of Costume Pieces
It has one of the largest "selection of costumes" in any game as far as I can tell
Compared to its two competitors (see above), DCUO has an absolutely abysmal creator - both in terms of available pieces and in terms of what you can do with those pieces.

Sure, it's better than Fantasy MMOs, but it's not competing with them, and the alternatives have a lot more options - I'm not talking about like twice as much, or thrice as much. Champions Online probably has ten or twenty times as many options, and City of Heroes (with seven years of additions to bolster itself) has two or three times that.

So if you compare it to Behemoth of MMOCraft, sure, it looks good, but that's not really the market it's aiming at.

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
Got to admit I don't disagree, My tack record with MMO's is bad
WOW got a wopping 2 weeks... and thats not playtime.
and Champions online I spent a total 73 hours before deciding not to go back, My personal record for an MMO, before I realised I'd much rather play mass effect and had just spent most of that making characters...
so its pretty clear to see that getting Me past the first month is a challenge, let alone the many months after it.
so playing DC universe did nothing for Me, I rate MMO's as games, not MMO's. So as far as I'm concerned to be worth the title, "great combat" It has to give Me a simler feeling or satisfaction and play to DMC, to earn the title "Great multiplayer battles." It's gota run against Vegas 2, but I must say the one area I thought it would win my heart was customisation! But it simply felt like a down grade of champions, and I spent pitterfly little time enjoying the options before simply going fuck it looks like I'll just be a plane old superhero, before finding everyone seemed to have taken the same option...

Feb 13, 2008
Can I say, in its defence, that the Boss battles are bloody awesome?

Yes it's flawed, perhaps seriously wounding itself, (And that's not mentioning the UI or other problems) but...

I'll have to see.