DC's Heroines Strut Their Stuff In These 1940's Pin-Up Posters

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
DC's Heroines Strut Their Stuff In These 1940's Pin-Up Posters

The classy prints show Wonder Woman as Rosie the Riveter and more.

Female superheroes don't have quite the same recognition that their male counterparts do. While the likes of Batman and Superman are easily recognized by the public at large, characters like Wonder Woman and Batgirl often seem like gender-swapped copies, not actual heroes in their own right. To rectify that, here's [a href=https://store.qmxonline.com/DC-Comics_c_65.html]a series of posters[/a] depicting DC's powerful heroines in the style of classy pin-ups from the 1940's.

The prints come courtesy of Quantum Mechanix, the same guys behind the beautify art nouveau take on [a href=http://store.qmxonline.com/Firefly-Les-Femmes-Poster-Set_p_139.html]the ladies of Firefly[/a]. There are ten posters in all, each one a period advertisement. For example, Wonder Woman's posing in the style of Rosie the Riveter, while Catwoman's in an ad for the Gotham City Savings and Loan. Each one's a gorgeous work of art that include clever throwbacks to the characters.

This is the kind of stuff that belongs framed in a den. If you have room on your wall, each 18" x 24" print can be preordered from QMx for $14.95.

So, DC, how about that Wonder Woman movie, eh? It's about time these ladies got their due.

Source: [a href=https://store.qmxonline.com/DC-Comics_c_65.html]Quantum Mechanix[/a]

[gallery=2321]

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Pin-up posters are awesome...as they have a classier aesthetic than merely photographs of scantily clad females, they allow people to drool over attractive women without looking like total creeps. We should have more of these in general!

>_>

But, uh, yeah, they look good. I imagine that if I was into the whole comic book thing these would be pretty interesting.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
*bookmarks website*

I'll be coming here in the near future (as in, next week, when I move into my new home) to get the Black Canary and Harley Quinn posters.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Yep, there's nothing as respectful to superheroines than depicting them as 1940s pin up glamour girls...

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
While the likes of Batman and Superman are easily recognized by the public at large, characters like Wonder Woman and Batgirl often seem like gender-swapped copies, not actual heroes in their own right. To rectify that, here's a series of posters depicting DC's powerful heroines in the style of classy pin-ups from the 1940's.
So, the idea is to? what, exactly? I'm not getting this, honestly.

Are Wonder Woman and Batgirl not easily recognizable somehow? When did this happen? How is throwing up pin-up styles of them going to refute or, as the article puts it, "rectify," the idea that they are "gender-swapped copies" of the male super heroes?

NotThePANTSU

Apr 4, 2014
For me Black Canary, HawkGirl, Poison Ivy, and Wonder Woman are the best of the bunch but doesn't "She can do it!" seem rather patronising?

Also distancing them from being mere gender-swapped counterparts kind of falls flat when you feel the need to tell everyone that Supergirl is: "related to the world's most super man". Is being super in her own right not enough?

MrMan999

Oct 25, 2011
I actually really like these. Then again I am a sucker for 1940s era art. Its a shame that Cassandra Cain and Power Girl aren't included.

Hdawger

Jun 8, 2010
WHERE IS ZATANNA?! Please please please make one of Zatanna! I love her new bombshell statue that is getting released this year, and a pin-up poster would have went great with it! Plus, other than Black Canary, she is the most "Pin-up suitable" superhero there is!

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
As eye candy for us males to drool over, I approve!

As something that will make me finally take DC female superheroes as characters on their own seriously, not so much.

Between this and Goyer saying they don't have plans for a cohesive DC cinematic universe [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133619-David-Goyer-Says-Warner-Bros-Has-No-Plans-For-Cohesive-DC-Universe], it kinda sucks being a DC fan right now.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
well at least is better then having "Disney Princesses as X" for the fiftieth time.

Khrowley

Feb 4, 2012
Going to call BS since they are all presented as soft-core wank material completely invalidating Wonder Woman's poster in which she actually does look bad ass.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
This:
ritchards said:
Yep, there's nothing as respectful to superheroines than depicting them as 1940s pin up glamour girls...
Some okay art, but it sends a bit of a mixed message, and seems to completely nerf the source characters individual strengths (either as characters or simply their original designs).

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
MinionJoe said:
These are really good, but I've a bit of a nit-pick on the second one.

Dawn Wells (as Mary Ann) was forbidden from showing her navel when Gilligan's Island premiered in the 60's. Bare navel certainly wasn't featured in the art of the 40s.

But the rest are spectacular. :)
I feel equally nit-picky to pick out that the world of television and the world of print are far removed from one another, and the standards applied to each weren't universal.

Hell, Playboy came into print in 1953, and showed a hell of a lot more than a navel.

Really like the Black Canary and Supergirl ones.

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
IanDavis said:
While the likes of Batman and Superman are easily recognized by the public at large, characters like Wonder Woman and Batgirl often seem like gender-swapped copies, not actual heroes in their own right.
Batgirl and Wonder Woman isn't exactly comparable.. Batgirl is a female knockoff of Batman, while Wonder Woman is probably among the top 5 most iconic and well know superheroes on her own right.