de-rez: Behind the Game: Valve

Ed_Winchester

Nov 20, 2007
Hi everyone Chris Slack here, happy to see your enjoying the video and thanks for the kind comments, just wanted to answer the question about where all the co stars have gone lately, no there were no "artistic differences" just a simply case of people moving on to uni or concentrating on their own projects. perhaps they will reappear some time in the future, but who can tell.

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
Good episode. I like the dark humor. I think that a lot of the dissent (not all, obviously, but a good deal of it) is because people are used to ZP's wacky humor and bluntness (in general, and that isn't a bad thing, I love ZP myself) aren't the same audience that would appreciate the dark humor. I happen to love both, so I have good comedy from both sides of the humor scale.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Chris, you are one of my favorite directors. Your sense of humor, and ability to convey it is amazing. You'll go far mate.

Don't tell Jesse I said that.

L3D

Jul 15, 2008
Russian_Assassin post=6.71050.714469 said:
A bit darker than I usually preffer, but I guess that was funny :p

Also, what's up with the 10 minute ads??? LOL!
Yes, darker and more subtle than usually. No hammering in of the jokes as some people have complained about. I liked it a lot. Very spooky feeling all around the video, especially in the start when they speak of his house. Reminded me of the Max Payne part in NEWS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/de-rez/42-News]. More stuff like this, pretty please?

And that ad was pretty good, I am interested about Warhammer now...

GokoWildheart

Apr 24, 2008
I love the door joke XD. Always carrys a door around him wanting doorways to open for him XD. And it's probally true why duke nukem forever is taking forever and doom 3 was crap XD.

Good work chirs keep them coming XD

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
I didn't find it laugh-out-loud funny, but I prefer this darker, less obvious style. Good stuff, Slack and co.

UncleAsriel

Pleasantly Lurking
Feb 13, 2008
Nice, subtly wry humour. A bit daring, lampooning a videogame "good-guy" designer and an equally good game, but the overall result was excellent. Love the punchloine at the end, too. Well played, well made.

gasto

Apr 16, 2008
I like the fact that De-rez has 2 pages of replies while Ben Croshaw's Zero Punctuation has 30.

Anyways, I hate the escapist magazine for not supporting Firefox 3.0 for the videos, I had to use the old IE 6 to view the videos. Shame on them.

Freakmonkey9

Aug 28, 2008
3/5 for me it could have longer, but he's trying a different type of humor that wasn't random to me.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I liked it, though maybe it could've been a bit shorter.

I like jokes like the "I thought it was a metaphor. It wasn't." line. I think the series is probably at its strongest when the characters aren't obviously over-the-top, they're just slightly....left of center?

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Hmm, don't know what to say that hasn't already been said.

You guys got new microphones or just got closer to the camera or something, so I could hear you fine.

Would it have killed you to get just one more person in there?

I guess that's it.

Oh yeah, favorite part was the S. Hawking thing, my God. You guys really are brilliant.

KiiWii

Feb 3, 2008
Hamster at Dawn post=6.71050.711948 said:
Mine is taking ages to load. All the escapist videos used to load in a second but now I have to wait at least 10 minutes to watch them. Anyone else have this problem?
Yeah, I've had it for the past few ZP and De-Rez, seems to have resolved itself now though.

And that was good, not kinda laughing funny, but clever funny.

mhitman

Sep 10, 2008
the_geordie post=6.71050.712066 said:
This episode is funny, but in a much drier way than usual.
Therefore not all viewers will be able to appreciate it.
I enjoyed it!
I think dry humor's the funniest kind