de-rez: Number 9

de-rez

Jan 30, 2008
Number 9

This week, for Episode Nine, the de-rez team presents a game of Russian Roulette with ATI and Nvidia, a letter from Jack Thompson and the self-playing console.

Feb 13, 2008
Bravo, Bravo. Most amusing. Best yet.

And I know that WoW player from somewhere...

Dear De-Rez's Mum,

Did you know that your child is engaged in making fun of lawyers? Did you raise him to hate the law? And Lawyers? And Policemen?

Is he about to kill Policemen?

Yours with love and kisses,
Jack Thompson (Mad)

BTW, was that another poke at Yahtzee?

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Liked the ATI v NVidea sketch, but not so keen on the party, or self playing console (though liked the idea of the latter). JT one was silly, but in a good way.

Entertaining n pretty decent, now to twiddle my thumbs for another 2 weeks

Watershed

Dec 10, 2007
"To you it's just a game, but to me, it's a murder simulator."

Another great video, this series just keeps on improving. Well done. :)

UncleAsriel

Pleasantly Lurking
Feb 13, 2008
Not quite as good as the 3D Realms joke last week. The Nvida vs ATI Russian Roulette was pretty funny - the buildup to the fact the gun being a water pistol worked for the first bit, then the punchline at the end (eventually one of us will drown) was kickass. Some of the other bits, though, were less outrageous and laughable. The social inept at the party was less suited to the format the first skit implied (a 20 second soundbite) and seemed to be much better suited to the wry humor of the Office-style skewering of Duke Nukem Forever than something which implied a faster paced series of clips. The Jack Thompson sketch was most disappointing - there's fewer personalities that gamers would love to see ridiculed - but the contrast between Disney and GTA wasn't half as strong as it should have been. Perhaps playing up the drinking element a bit, or showing Thompson as a loathesome misanthrope might have been a better jibe.

The Self-Playing console, while certainly a good riff at games that have pay-as-you-go features as well as those that feel like a second job, didn't play out as bitingly as it could have. Possibly this could have been because of the lackluster skits that came before it - it certainly wasn't a bad skit, just that it seemed to drag out a bit more than it should have. In a better set of skits, it would have worked much better. Overall, not bad, but still some improvement would help. More regular pacing of the humour (consistently fast-paced or consistently wry) would have made for a better video. Keep it strong guys, you're onto something, just keep refining!

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
OK..., better than a few you've done, but you will NEVER beat your resident evil or gordon freeman parodies.

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
I was hoping it would be about the number nine, My dissapointment is so palpable that i can't help but palping it right now :(

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
I personally liked the Self-Playing Console, if only because it reminds me of so many gamers (myself included) who get so sucked into the "accomplishment" of finishing a game (especially MMO leveling) that they lose sight of actually playing it. The culmination of this trend being high-priced MMO characters for sale.

At the office we have an ironic saying that "purchase is participation", the notion being that someone who buys a lot of games will feel like a hardcore gamer even if he hardly plays any of them. Likewise buying a gym membership makes you feel like a fitness guru, and so on...

Crowbites

Jan 10, 2008
That was great, especially the self playing console. The last line was an awesome finish.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
It was some lines in the "party" one (I'm a good sniper! - 'murder simulator') - the JT one - and the very last line that made this worth watching.

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
This one was pretty hit or miss. The party scene and the Russian roulette parts were clever, and the Self-Playing Console was sort of a funny swipe at folks who resent having to actually play their games (WoW players and SSBB whiners). The bit with Jack Thompson, however, felt a bit weak; a good bit of build up for not much punch line. Still, it's an enjoyable video.

immortal88

Nov 7, 2007
The whole thing was fairly decent. The social retard at the party was mostly just awkward, I think that probably could have been done better. However, that last line made watching the rest of it entirely worthwhile. I cracked up so hard at that! I'm not saying make an entire set of skits like this, it wouldn't work well, but that was a great way to end it.

Feb 13, 2008
immortal88 said:
The social retard at the party was mostly just awkward, I think that probably could have been done better.
Very Irish/English humour. Similar to the Office. Most of our 'heroes' are very unlikeable: Basil Fawlty, Benny Hill, Edward and Tubbs, Alan B'stard.

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
I think to be honest the weakest was the thomson sketch, but that was still pretty good. Don't listen to them when they say the party sketch was bad though. It reminds me of peep show at its peak - very funny simply because you are cringing at the type of person or you remember that you were/are that type of person.

Keeping up the re-occurring high quality run that began with mortal combat.

Feb 13, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Oh yeah, I didn't understand the GTA help-line one, anyone want to help out a thick-head like me? Please?
I think it's a poke at Yahtzee having his games delivered so slow and also the really large fixing patch.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Makes me think, why do people call games murder simulators but laugh when people say they can shoot guns because they played counterstrike?

Its all a bit iffy to me.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I wish I had a self playing console right now but I'm going to have to wait for the price to drop as I can't keep a job long enough since GTA4 came out.