Dead Cthulhu Waits Dreaming

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
That was pretty good :D

However, isn't C'thulhu(and to an extension, all Lovecraftian monstrosities) an extra-dimensional being? So would he be able to feel the passage of time?

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
I think that would make boredom even worse when 1 minute is the same to you as 1 million years. No wonder lovecraftian horrors are such assholes, they're perpetually bored out of their skulls, and snap at the first sign of attention.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Sigmund Av Volsung said:

However, isn't C'thulhu(and to an extension, all Lovecraftian monstrosities) an extra-dimensional being? So would he be able to feel the passage of time?
It'd have to be able to be aware of time in order to operate in our universe, though, which it does.

(OTOH, in another Lovecraft story, there was a monster that couldn't be affected by bullets, because it wasn't truly part of our universe and wouldn't be affected by material objects, only it's leaving footprints when it walks and clawing people)

Nick Lerman

Aug 27, 2013
Tamayo said:
the awful squid-head of non-Euclidean geometry
Which geometry? Lobachevskiy's, Riemann's, Einstein's, Calabi's ... ? ;-)

Don't forget Bolyai!
It is important to be a well-rounded non-Euclidean geometer so my educational recipe would have a hyperbolic dose here and and a dash of elliptic there with a sprinkling of kinematic to taste. Eugenio Calabi was a tot when Lovecraft wrote Call of Cthulhu so I will eliminate him from the list for completely arbitrary reasons.

A puff of dust shot out of my head whilst answering your question.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Sigmund Av Volsung said:

No, not really; only some of Lovecraft's creations are extra dimensional. Cthulhu is just huge and immortal. He drives people mad by being massive, monstrous, and unkillable[footnote]Supposably, anyway. He can be injured; in the first story he appeared in, Call of Cthulhu, two sailors defeat him by ramming their ship into his head, completely destroying it. He appears to have Wolverine-style regeneration, but... It seems possible you could tear him up into thousands of little bits and completely obliterate each piece to get rid of him. XD[/footnote], not because his form is literately comprehensible. :p