Dead Island Headed for Hollywood

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Dead Island Headed for Hollywood

Lionsgate has optioned the rights to produce a film all about zombies ruining your tropical vacation.

The release of Deep Silver's Dead Island was mired in trouble. Not only was the haunting announcement trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112801-Dead-Island-Dev-Could-Have-Released-Wrong-Version-to-Steam], Hollywood studio Lionsgate has optioned the rights to produce a film based on Dead Island's tropical zombie adventure.

Producer Sean Daniels, whose portfolio includes titles such as The Mummy and Alfie, will head the project. In a statement, Lionsgate said that, "the film Dead Island will be an innovation of the zombie genre because of its focus on human emotion, family ties and non-linear storytelling."

"Like the hundreds of journalists and millions of fans who were so passionate and vocal about the Dead Island trailer, we too were awestruck," added Joe Drake, Lionsgate's COO. "This is exactly the type of property we're looking to adapt at Lionsgate - it's sophisticated, edgy, and a true elevation of a genre that we know and love. It also has built in brand recognition around the world, and franchise potential."

Given the remarks made by Lionsgate, it seems that the film will try to focus on themes similar the familial crises seen in the announcement trailer. How they can make this into an "innovation" in the genre remains to be seen; despite several "those children just escaped your maximum security compound on a moped while you watched them leave"-shaped plot holes, 28 Weeks Later dealt with the subject of familial crises during a zombie attack quite well. Would 28 Days Later have benefitted from more pina coladas? Lionsgate gave no indication of a likely release date, so we'll probably have to wait a while to find out.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-27-dead-island-film-announced]

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
At least it sounds like they're on the right track. A zombie apocalypse should be a setting with a focus on characters (in most cases). That's why almost every movie fails, because they go the heads getting sploded direction, which is good for maybe a Youtube video.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Hey! Can the actors noclip around in the film too?!

I'm sure I remember some silly fellow left that in the game...I mean err..

As for another zombie film, not really interested. What we really need is another vampire related movie!

Ok, done now :p

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
It's just going to be a Dawn of the Dead rip-off. The only way to make a zombies movie to succeed these days is if you do it tongue-in-cheek style like Zombieland.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Good, I am someone who likes zombies and I hope the film can be one tenth as good as the trailer, unlike the god awful game.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
That's a new one... A film based on a game based on a trailer?

I like the way everyone seems to have ignored the fact that the game itself is nothing like that original trailer.

Doc Theta Sigma said:
For the love of all that is good can we stop with the zombies? Seriously?
Oh yeah, and this too.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Again with the zombies? Look, I like zombies as much as the next person, but this is just getting tiresome now.
cynicalsaint1 said:
Dead Island Trailer: The Movie
Playing in a theater near you!
Where some of the plot will be played backwards, for you enjoyment!

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Again with the zombies? Look, I like zombies as much as the next person, but this is just getting tiresome now.
cynicalsaint1 said:
Oh it sounds like they're definitely planning that:

Lionsgate said that, "the film Dead Island will be an innovation of the zombie genre because of its focus on human emotion, family ties and non-linear storytelling."
Really the question is whether the soundtrack will consist of anything other than sad-piano music...

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
cynicalsaint1 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
cynicalsaint1 said:
Oh it sounds like they're definitely planning that:

Lionsgate said that, "the film Dead Island will be an innovation of the zombie genre because of its focus on human emotion, family ties and non-linear storytelling."
Really the question is whether the soundtrack will consist of anything other than sad-piano music...
Oh probably since they were so impressed by the trailer. Honestly, if they do have sad piano music, this will be the first zombie movie to depress me out.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
The actual game didn't have much of a story and what was there was pretty cliched.
The trailer however...

Still not looking for great things from the guy who gave us 'alfie'

Davih

May 7, 2011
I do not see this working. The trailer was high quality but ultimately led to the disappointment of the game since it had fuck all to do with it.

I don't see this working. The trailer was so emotional because it was just 5 minutes, not 90 - 120 minutes. I doubt they will keep that quality up throughout the whole film.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Despite the fact that the Zombie trope has been done to death (oh my), I do believe this movie will be prime quality of cinema. /sarcasm