Dead Island: Riptide Review - Better Off Dead

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Dead Island: Riptide Review - Better Off Dead

Good ideas smothered by technical issues and bad choices.

Read Full Article

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
I'm not sure if the problem is on my end, but I'm getting a 404 when I try to check out the review.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Link's broken for me too. Shame, looking forward to seeing this game getting shat on.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
Okay, so avoiding this one. Too bad, the first was pretty interesting.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I also got the 404, but it's working now.

OT: I wasn't really expecting this to be a great game so I'm not surprised at this review. The fact that it's chugging when too much is going on is why I think we need a new console generation. It might just be sloppy work (or both) though.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
After playing the first one, I kinda predicted such a bad score for this one. I expected more from Dead Island then Borderlands with Melee weapons and Zombies. Instead, I got a buggy mess that was horribly written, horribly scripted and horribly boring to play.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
What makes me so frustrated is I really, really loved the first one. It was one of my favorite games of that year. But this? No. Just...no.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
What makes me so frustrated is I really, really loved the first one. It was one of my favorite games of that year. But this? No. Just...no.
That really sucks to hear, as I loved co-oping the first one with some friends. Is this a straight no or a 'wait until a few patches and grab it on sale otherwise don't really bother'? Because more zombie slaughter sounds good to me, but if it's buggier than an Obsidian game tested by Bethesda with no real improvements I might sadly give this a pass.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
The first game was one of the few games I didn't enjoy that I was looking forward to a sequel for, it was alright but could have been so much more which is what I hoped this would be.

Sounds like I'll be ignoring this one and trying to force my way through the first one again if I ever get an extreme need to hit zombies any time soon.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Fayathon said:
Susan Arendt said:
That really sucks to hear, as I loved co-oping the first one with some friends. Is this a straight no or a 'wait until a few patches and grab it on sale otherwise don't really bother'? Because more zombie slaughter sounds good to me, but if it's buggier than an Obsidian game tested by Bethesda with no real improvements I might sadly give this a pass.
Definitely wait. Even if they don't patch it, so long as you nab it on a good sale, you'll be happy. Playing with friends can still be a LOT of fun, but overall the game isn't nearly as good an experience as the first one.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Fayathon said:
Susan Arendt said:
Definitely wait. Even if they don't patch it, so long as you nab it on a good sale, you'll be happy. Playing with friends can still be a LOT of fun, but overall the game isn't nearly as good an experience as the first one.
Good to hear it isn't terribad, my zombie hunting buddies will be a mite disappointed, but we've got other games to tide us fortunately, jolly co-operation can wait in terms of the undead. (At least zombie undead anyways.)

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
God. fucking. Dammit.

See, first time, they spent a really fucking long time in development hell, and, shit, they're deep silver, they're hardly the biggest, most reputable company around.

All that considered, I enjoyed dead island thoroughly.

This time...no goddamn excuses. It wasn't in development hell, it barely changed from the first game, and they had a ton of feedback to work with.

The only excuse they had was releasing a little under a year and a half after the last game, and let's be honest, nobody was begging and ranting for a dead island sequal. They could have took their damn time. Fixed the issues. Tried to give a shit about the story. But no, they had to cash in.

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
Yeeahh, I enjoyed the first one and was hoping this one would have fixed, y'know, some of the annoyances about the first one. It was a pretty solid game, but... Uggghh. Definite pass on this.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I really had zero faith that this would be good, thanks for the heads-up confirmation Susan. At least there's nothing to distract me from that 1999 run now...

Comocat

May 24, 2012
I loved the first game and was secretly hoping they would fix some of the issues and make the greatest game ever. I feel like a well done zombie RPG would be like printing money so why can't anyone do it right?!? I appreciate the review and suppose I'll wait until the price drop on this one.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
rhizhim said:
that it only got a written review instead of a video review plus written review like the first one speaks volumes...

i am sure the game is just a mod that was turned to a standalone game only to reek in some money. or at least it feels like it.
Actually, that was just a factor of me wanting as much time as possible with the game to make sure that it had the issues I thought it had. If you play a game on a certain day and have a bad time, that might not be the game's fault, per se. But I played all weekend long and just got angrier and angrier as I went.

So...well, I guess it does speak volumes, but perhaps not quite in the way you might mean.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Assassin Xaero said:
Do the weapons still degrade completely after about half a dozen hits like they did in the first?
Depends on their durability and whether or not you've chosen the perks that extend their lifespan. I never really had a problem, but then I'm also hyper aware of fixing them whenever I get near a workbench.