Dead Island: Riptide Review - Better Off Dead

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
I had a bad feeling about this game when i saw it was starting out at 40 dollars instead of the usual 60 dollars for new games. it sounds like this is a expansion turned sequel much like SR4 is which is too bad it looks like deep silver was counting on fan loyalty and some gimmicks to sell this one.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
The original dead island trailer had everyone so excited about a new type of videogame that could rival resident evil and now it seems it's just doing a death spiral.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Guess who pre-ordered this game on Steam?
<---
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Hope they patch most of the bugs.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
<---
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Can't you just cancel your pre-order?

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
RejjeN said:
Xan Krieger said:
<---
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Can't you just cancel your pre-order?
I don't think that's possible, especially as I've already given the pre-order bonus (a copy of Dead Island Game of the Year edition) to a friend.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
meh, paying off my preorder before work in an hour or so for the PS3 version.

I played the first one before any patches and most of the issues complained about here are "Waaaahhhh its tooooo harrrddd!!!" which were, frankly, issues the first one had too. And I had a blast with it and have few doubts about me enjoying this game too.

MissP

Feb 6, 2013
Dang, really disappointed to hear this. I also really enjoyed coop in the first Dead Island (despite its flaws) and was looking forward to more of the same, at least. A friend already gifted it to me, so hopefully there will be some enjoyment to be had here. If I pick up alcohol and it STILL replaces the weapon in my hands though, I'm gonna be all :mad:

That reminds me, I also still have the pre-order bonus copy of Dead Island GOTY in my Steam inventory. If anyone's interested, send me a PM and the first one I see gets it.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Honestly, I was expecting more of the same from this game. I'd be fine with that as I really enjoyed the first. This review saddens me but not enough to not buy the game. I'll definitely wait for a juicy Steam sale though.

Timzilla

Mar 26, 2010
Hmm, so this game is a...

*puts on sunglasses*

Dogs Breakfast?

Sorry, I've been waiting to use that one since they played that freakin add before every Youtube video.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Like with the original Dead Island, I'll pick this up once the modding community has gotten its hands on it and made some awesome stuff.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Man, I am now very disappoint.

The first one reminds me of Alpha Protocol: An excellent game if you're willing to overlook a lot of stuff...

This has so much potential and it's just getting thrown away. If anyone needs me, I'll be over here having a sad.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Kroxile said:
meh, paying off my preorder before work in an hour or so for the PS3 version.

I played the first one before any patches and most of the issues complained about here are "Waaaahhhh its tooooo harrrddd!!!" which were, frankly, issues the first one had too. And I had a blast with it and have few doubts about me enjoying this game too.
So, complaining about the copious bugs, the bad story, and the repetitious design is me saying the game is "too hard"? Yeah, ok, sure.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
Like with the original Dead Island, I'll pick this up once the modding community has gotten its hands on it and made some awesome stuff.
Dead Island mods? Any I should look for? I didn't even know mods existed for the game.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
<---
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

hahaha, I lol-ed

but seriously though dammit >_>

was somewhat looking forward to this one..

after seeing multiple reviews this game is totally hopeless =_=

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Dead Island mods? Any I should look for? I didn't even know mods existed for the game.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/02/the-10-best-dead-island-mods/

here you go :)

I haven't been able to try these yet, been too busy with school and work but the crysis one looks really badass

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
I'm not too surprised, bought GOTY Edition of the first one for $20, was good for about 20 hours then I got bored, barely made it halfway through the second chapter. It's a shame though, they could have done something really emotional and fresh with this series.

SteveoTheBeveo

Oct 9, 2012
I was not the least bit surprised by this game being bad. Just based on the idea that Dead Island's game-play was repetitive and got boring after awhile made the game pointless to me, but this game was shoving so many commercials to promote it that I decided to buy adblock for f**king once so I don't need to worry about that crap anymore. I'm just saying that this game was bad from the trailers alone for me and I no longer trust trailer sunless they show actually gameplay, and this one looked no different from its predecessor which sad because the ideas are good, the execution is just s**t.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Having played it for about 2 and a half hours it's more of the same Dead Island experience though with a few more bugs. In the first chapter I encountered one so bad I ended up in a part of the level you should never be in and had to load my last save. Also the new character has a special attack which is buggy as hell.