Dead or Alive 5: Last Round gets ABYSMAL PC Port

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
I'll admit I haven't been following this game too closely or been too hyped up for it but I have a modest interest in the franchise, so when I loaded up DEAD OR ALIVE® 5 Last Round's Steam Store page to check it out today my first reaction was a bit shock at it's "Mixed" User Reviews. So I spent some time reading the user reviews and saw the same things pointed out over and over. A quick list:

-PC version uses a frankenport hybrid of the Arcade and PS3 version, not the PS4 version
-Missing 2 Versus Stages
-Doesn't have online mode yet (and may not for up to 3 months)
-No Steam Cloud support
-No Steam Achievements
-Wonky controller set-up that doesn't even support vibration
-Save files tied to your steam community ID making your saves invalid if you change your steam name
-Lack of Soft Engine from the PS4 version that adds higher graphic fidelity to the skin textures
-Poor optimization

While I've heard very little critical of the game itself, in fact even these negative reviews claim the core gameplay is still fun and the game overall is good but it's incredibly hard to overlook this very poorly done PC port.

So what are your thoughts on yet another in a long list of terrible PC ports done by AAA publishers?

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Its an after thought basically I really dont think they give a crap about the PC and this is just there to grab a bit more money and possibly shut up some people so now they can say well no one bought the PC version so we wont bother doing one again.

You also missed out that they changed the specs literally a few days before release. I cancelled my order but ofc praise steam I cant get my money back (god I hate steam).

I like the series, well most of it 1 and 4 were not great but 5 is the best its ever been its actually a solid competitive fighter now which it really hasnt been since 3. I also think it looks great and animates well and I love the flow of combat in it but the release of Last Round has been an absolute mess on all systems especially over here in Europe where it took a month to get patched so the online would work in some way and we are still waiting for the DLC we bought to carry over which it does seem to be doing slowly. Im glad they put that cheat in for people who lost their saves to be able to unlock everything instantly but really its a good game but the launch has been handled terribly and the PC port is also not worth your time. The PS4 and Xbox One versions are superior in every way and the last gen versions are superior in some ways as well.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Hmm... I can't comment about the PC port, but I've been holding out for this on 360 (last gen peasant reporting in) for some time now. I was a big fan of 2 and 3, 4 not so much, and although I've completely fallen out of love with fighters as a genre in general in the last 10 years or so, DOA5LR looks suitably shiny to get my attention.

Gailim

Oct 13, 2009
I got this game. It is the only AAA 3D fighter on steam right now (fingers crossed for Tekken 7)

It's not as bad as most people are claiming. The lack of online was stated long in advance so if that is all you want just wait to get it. I have never played the DOA series before so I figured I would use the delay to get used to the mechanics.

most of the missing stuff didn't really interest me anyway. we got all the characters and that is what really matters.

the only real problem I have now is the controller support, the rumble I dont care about but the buttons are mapped wrong. The face and shoulder buttons are fine but the triggers, start and select buttons are messed up. the triggers don't work at all and the other buttons are switched, in order to pause you have to press the right thumbstick, its weird.

the game is still completely playable though, I have spent a few hours going through the story and tutorial

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
TotalBiscuit covers the subject pretty well in his Port Report on this matter. From what he said...yeah...this is a solid "DO NOT BUY".

...I'm still going to be picking it up on my PS4, though. :p

AyaReiko

Aug 9, 2008
RJ 17 said:
TotalBiscuit covers the subject pretty well in his Port Report on this matter. From what he said...yeah...this is a solid "DO NOT BUY".

I think more accurately, it's "do not buy at full price". But let's be honest here. In two weeks, online will be virtually dead, and I think everyone here knows why.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
AyaReiko said:
RJ 17 said:

I think more accurately, it's "do not buy at full price". But let's be honest here. In two weeks, online will be virtually dead, and I think everyone here knows why.
Well there is no online so its dead now lol. But yeah I cant see this getting much traction on Steam most people who want to play it will be playing it on PS4 or Xbox One which are superior versions and have all the missing features unless you live in Europe ofc.

Sep 24, 2008
Gailim said:
I got this game. It is the only AAA 3D fighter on steam right now (fingers crossed for Tekken 7)

It's not as bad as most people are claiming. The lack of online was stated long in advance so if that is all you want just wait to get it. I have never played the DOA series before so I figured I would use the delay to get used to the mechanics.

most of the missing stuff didn't really interest me anyway. we got all the characters and that is what really matters.
I wasn't going to buy it but I received it as a gift. And yes, the game play is solid.

The issue is that while all the things are missing, they are charging us next gen prices for a a last gen port. They even called it by the next gen name when it seems to be just a whole sale port of the arcade. Apparently, they even just put the new characters in the arcade a while ago, so they just took the data and put it into steam form.

I still would have been happy to buy if it was just at last gen prices. But don't give me the week old bread and tell me it costs the same as the fresh from the oven.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Gailim said:
the only real problem I have now is the controller support, the rumble I dont care about but the buttons are mapped wrong. The face and shoulder buttons are fine but the triggers, start and select buttons are messed up. the triggers don't work at all and the other buttons are switched, in order to pause you have to press the right thumbstick, its weird.
Not that it excuses shoddy porting, but Xpadder should be able to help with that.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I was actually interested in the game on PC. Not buying a PS4 OR XBone for like, what, two or three games a piece?

Watched it for months and was completely ready to drop full price at launch...but, of course, they just had to find a way to fall on their proverbial sword...which was in its scabbard...in a locked chest...on the moon.

G-fuckin'-G and all that. -_-

someguy1231

Apr 3, 2015
I could live with the delayed multiplayer, the lack of the Soft engine and the two missing stages, but what really pushed this into "do not buy" for me was the lack of achievements. I'll admit I'm somewhat obsessed with them, but if I don't have a clear record of my accomplishments in a game, I don't feel like it's something I can look back on and be proud of.

As far as optimization goes, I've heard it's actually very well optimized. 60FPS at high resolutions are apparently easy to achieve, provided your comp is powerful enough.

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
Shaun Kennedy said:
So what are your thoughts on yet another in a long list of terrible PC ports done by AAA publishers?
Probably worth mentioning that the publisher just allocate funding for development and marketing, the developers are the ones responsible for the port.

But whatever, honestly i put this down mostly to japanese dev's being unfamilier with the pc as a platform, same thing happend with dark souls and simular complaints were leveled at the dynasty warriors extreme ledgends complete edition. It is clearly either lack of technicle knowledge in regaurds to creating the port for pc or lack of knowledge to cater to the larger demands of the pc userbase. Either way people are unhappy because they feel that the PC is the superior platform but they gain the subpar experiance.

*Edit* Lack of online multiplayer though is just plain stupid for a fighting game.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
The only reason I was really interested in this at all was largely because the PC gets so few well designed spectacle fighting games that I was willing to put aside my lack of experience with the IP to give it a shot.

Suffice it to say I like pretty girls that kick ass, this is hardly original or surprising, but, given the after thought status Team Ninja has given this game in regards to its PC version, I rather doubt I'll waste the time or money.

I am becoming increasingly convinced that Korean developers are simply not interested in the Western market at all. Which is unfortunate because some of the games that never make it to the western market are stylish as hell and are just fantastic pieces of art.

DOA5: Last Round is not one of those fantastic pieces of art really, but it could have been, had Team Ninja really cared to try.

coates32

Jun 10, 2011
Based on the videos I've watched online about DOA 5 on PC, I find it's port to be really pathetic.

Pr0 said:
The only reason I was really interested in this at all was largely because the PC gets so few well designed spectacle fighting games that I was willing to put aside my lack of experience with the IP to give it a shot.

Suffice it to say I like pretty girls that kick ass, this is hardly original or surprising, but, given the after thought status Team Ninja has given this game in regards to its PC version, I rather doubt I'll waste the time or money.

I am becoming increasingly convinced that Korean developers are simply not interested in the Western market at all. Which is unfortunate because some of the games that never make it to the western market are stylish as hell and are just fantastic pieces of art.

DOA5: Last Round is not one of those fantastic pieces of art really, but it could have been, had Team Ninja really cared to try.
Team Ninja is a Japanese developer. I'm actually not familiar with many Korean developer (particularly ones that don't do MMOs).

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
coates32 said:
Based on the videos I've watched online about DOA 5 on PC, I find it's port to be really pathetic.

Pr0 said:

Team Ninja is a Japanese developer. I'm actually not familiar with many Korean developer (particularly ones that don't do MMOs).
Yeah true they are, my bad, though there are Japanese developers that have the same general malaise in regards to the western market.

Not sure why Korean was in my head in regards to Team Ninja, was probably mixing it up with Team Bloodlust cause NCSoft has been on my shit list for several years now.

Tilly

Mar 8, 2015
Maximum Bert said:
I really dont think they give a crap about the PC and this is just there to grab a bit more money and possibly shut up some people so now they can say well no one bought the PC version so we wont bother doing one again.
This logic has potential flaws!

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Tilly said:
Maximum Bert said:
I really dont think they give a crap about the PC and this is just there to grab a bit more money and possibly shut up some people so now they can say well no one bought the PC version so we wont bother doing one again.
This logic has potential flaws!
Its more annoyed and inflamed opinion than logical deduction I agree but I would appreciate a bit more input if you are critiquing so even if I dont agree others can see what you think about the whole mess and draw their own conclusions.

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
It's a japanese dev, of course the PC version is shoddy as fuck, they do not care. And that is their loss as there is a fuckton of money to be made on the PC.

Tilly

Mar 8, 2015
Maximum Bert said:
Its more annoyed and inflamed opinion than logical deduction I agree but I would appreciate a bit more input if you are critiquing so even if I dont agree others can see what you think about the whole mess and draw their own conclusions.
Well the obvious flaw being that in terms of actual revenue, it's far more advantageous for them to release good products than have a reason to dismiss future demands. Not many successful companies have been founded on the idea of deliberately making bad products for the benefit of future arguments. Winning arguments doesn't make money (although we all like to act as if it does)

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Tilly said:
Maximum Bert said:
Well the obvious flaw being that in terms of actual revenue, it's far more advantageous for them to release good products than have a reason to dismiss future demands. Not many successful companies have been founded on the idea of deliberately making bad products for the benefit of future arguments. Winning arguments doesn't make money (although we all like to act as if it does)
Agreed in general altough im not sure that is always the case DOA has never had a presence on PC and yet they have done well enough now the question is how much do they stand to gain and how much do they stand to lose by making a really good PC port.

I think their main reason is that they dont want to embrace mods the costumes have made them a lot of money but would it continue to do so if the PC version was superior in every way then mods would potentially hurt their revenue by limiting this avenue so in the short term I dont think an excellent PC port is in their interests as long as they seek to aggressively push this avenue of income.

Its not so much a case of dismissing future demands I suppose more a way to steer people towards buying the `right` version that they have more control over while still allowing the testing of waters on an unexplored platform and if they feel it is not in their financial interest to push further they have a ready made excuse one that could potentially be used to push sales further by placing the blame on the consumer not showing enough interest in what is essentially a far inferior version.

Of course I dont know what their true reason is maybe it is just incompetence or some crap happened when they were making it such as they were porting the old version and then the new version was being made for PS4 and Xbox One and they wanted to try and bring it up to date but do it as cheaply as possible and the missing features would have cost to much time to implement in what they had written.

Also while I do agree it would be better for them to make good products financially rather than release a bad one to dismiss future demand the fact is they have released an inferior product on a potentially much more powerful machine and also given it minimum specs that does not allow for casuals to pick up on a whim setting it on an awkward ground.

Time will tell if they bother with PC ports again on the (almost) inevitable DOA6 if they do I would put good money on it not happening for a few years after the console versions.