Dead or Alive 6 Creator Director Shimbori Asks "Why does DoA get so much flak vs. other games?"

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
CritialGaming said:
The Earth could be flat too.

Japan does NOT have a clear awareness of western SJW culture, they don't understand it. There are clips and videos all over youtube of people interviewing Japanese people about some Western-based SJW outrage thing, they don't have the same grasp of what is "offensive".

So I do not believe that this DLC overpricing/overflow has anything to do with some anti-sjw agenda.
They literally courted the whole anti-SJW thing in orer to try to drive up preorders for a garbage game hat was going to be reviewed badly anyways because it was a shoddy dumpster fire of a product that took them two seconds to slap together. If your criticism had any validity, it would have been reflected how Western game journos reviewed the first DOA:VB. Which was reviewed favourably.

It's almost as if they wanted to get away doing fuck all work and using 'games as a service' economy, locking away past game characters, and journos responding poorly to that frankly fucking garbage policy were somehow on a culture war.

Remember the PlayAsia nonsense? Pepperidge Farm remembers...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
CritialGaming said:
erttheking said:
It can be both.
Something Amyss said:
Not can be. Literally is.

Japan does NOT have a clear awareness of western SJW culture, they don't understand it. There are clips and videos all over youtube of people interviewing Japanese people about some Western-based SJW outrage thing, they don't have the same grasp of what is "offensive".

So I do not believe that this DLC overpricing/overflow has anything to do with some anti-sjw agenda.

You are chasing ghosts, and labeling things that aren't there.

It's a shitty business practice plain and simple. There is no other evil reasoning behind it.

https://i.imgflip.com/1n2hie.jpg
I think they have a fairly clear awareness about SJW culture. You know why? Because this entire thread is about the creative director complaining about it. This may sound crazy, but people who spend a good portion of their careers exporting goods to another country get tend to get a feel for what flies in that country, so please don't tell me that they don't get it because they're Japanese.

And it's not an anti-SJW agenda, it's an "people will spend stupid amounts of money to spite SJWs, let's capitalize on that" agenda.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
erttheking said:
I think they have a fairly clear awareness about SJW culture. You know why? Because this entire thread is about the creative director complaining about it. This may sound crazy, but people who spend a good portion of their careers exporting goods to another country get tend to get a feel for what flies in that country, so please don't tell me that they don't get it because they're Japanese.

And it's not an anti-SJW agenda, it's an "people will spend stupid amounts of money to spite SJWs, let's capitalize on that" agenda.
Precisely. Western game journos liked the first DoA:VB. But when the same Western journos shit on all other slapdash iterations, 'SJW Agenda'. And they literally pretended as such with that garbage nonsense with that PlayAsia PR stunt before. It the same company, saying exactly the same thing as before, and pretending like the resistance against their game has nothing to do with the ransoming of content held for hostage or pisspoor game design with the same Western journos who once liked them telling people not to buy their shit because, get this, they're reviewers and their job is to tell consumers whether a game is exploitative trash.

Fuck me. We already know it's exploitative trash, so why dignify obvious conmen that they're not simply selling exploitative trash?

It's like thieves complaining about being treated like thieves. Maybe they should stop acting lie manipulative arseholes, first? Just a thought?

The funny thing about all of this is if the product was actually good and didn't rely on merely fan service, by dint of that they would have elevated their game. But by mrketing to the lowest common denominator they can then reverse that perception of that on fan service trash and self-excuse that the backlash isn't somehow it being exploitative trash but rather an 'artistic statement' that people are railing against.

I mean fuck off. Both of which are inexcusable, other Japanese videogaming companies do not insult the people's intelligence like that, and the people pretending as if those saying this is problematic are merely 'SJWs' are lying through their teeth.

Sep 24, 2008
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
erttheking said:

Precisely. Western game journos liked the first DoA:VB. But when the same Western journos shit on all other slapdash iterations, 'SJW Agenda'. And they literally pretended as such with that garbage nonsense with that PlayAsia PR stunt before. It the same company, saying exactly the same thing as before, and pretending like the resistance against their game has anything to do with the ransoming of content held for hostage or pisspoor game design had nothing to do with the same Western journos who once like them telling people not to buy their shit because, get this, they're reviewers and their job is to tell consumers whether a game is exploitative trash.

Fuck me. We already know it's exploitative trash, so why dignify obvious conmen that they're not simply selling exploitative trash?

It's like thieves complaining about being treated like thieves.
That, of itself, is a master stroke of marketing. One that political parties have been using to the Nth Degree.

"I'm a Proud American! I like to know the type of people in my land, I like to feel a kinship to them. You can be different, but don't expect me to cotton to you so clearly when I know what I like and I only like what I like!"

'That... sound bigoted...'

"OOOOH, HOW DARE YOU?! HOW DARE YOU USE THAT TERM WITH ME WHEN I'M JUST BEING THE BEST AMERICAN I CAN BE! I believe in the flag, son! I believe in the Tradition that makes this country great! I believe in Honoring the people who made this country great! So what if they all have the same type of appearance, YOU YOURSELF ARE BIGOTED FOR NOTICING THAT! I'm going to be extra angry towards people like you because you're attacking me for saying my opinion! You brought this on yourself, Son! I wasn't like this before you opened your mouth!"

And then cue everyone who likes what he's saying painting him as a poor victim who was attacked needlessly by the other party and backs him out of respect/spite.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
CritialGaming said:
Something Amyss said:
DOA has been counting on triggered gamers to empty their wallets to protest "SJWs" for a while now.
That has nothing to do with it. Koei Tecmo has been pumping out massive amounts of DLC at crazy prices for ages now. Look at any number of the DLC available for the Dynasty Warriors games.
...I want to defend Dynasty Warriors...but then DW9 happened...so I am not going to defend them.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
erttheking said:
Well I'm sure the creative director is relieved that DoA is going to get shit for other reasons now.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1033490/DOA6_Season_Pass_1/

What the FUCK is this!?
I wanna see if they can outdo what they did with doa5. If you actually wanted the entire costume set for the entire cast, you will have to shell out thousands of dollars for it. At least they aren't doing lootboxes.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
CritialGaming said:

They literally courted the whole anti-SJW thing in orer to try to drive up preorders for a garbage game hat was going to be reviewed badly anyways because it was a shoddy dumpster fire of a product that took them two seconds to slap together. If your criticism had any validity, it would have been reflected how Western game journos reviewed the first DOA:VB. Which was reviewed favourably.

It's almost as if they wanted to get away doing fuck all work and using 'games as a service' economy, locking away past game characters, and journos responding poorly to that frankly fucking garbage policy were somehow on a culture war.

Remember the PlayAsia nonsense? Pepperidge Farm remembers...
I'm not saying they didn't play that up for publicity.

The point was that the DLC overpricing had nothing to do with that part. Their DLC practices are on a different level of shitheadedness.

The two things aren't related. They do this DLC bullshit on games without SJW annoyances.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
CritialGaming said:

The point was that the DLC overpricing had nothing to do with that part. Their DLC practices are on a different level of shitheadedness.

The two things aren't related. They do this DLC bullshit on games without SJW annoyances.
Only the PlayAsia PR stunt was precisely courting anti-SJW rhetoric to find enough clueless fucking idiots to preorder their dumpster fire of a game. The DLC was just the dingleberry atop of a shit sundae.

They are using the same playbook they used last time, you had a meagre, garbage, uninformed mistake if you fell for it the last time--fair enough, fool you once. What exactly does it say if you're willing to believe them again?

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
They plan on releasing a f2p version of DoA 6 so the dlc costumes are as expected really. Enough people buy such things and when you can get $100 packs of mere tokens in gacha games that oftentimes don't even give you anything you want in the game I have a hard time being upset at a season pass. Like with the other games that do this, I just don't buy it and am fine.

CritialGaming said:

Only the PlayAsia PR stunt was precisely courting anti-SJW rhetoric to find enough clueless fucking idiots to preorder their dumpster fire of a game. The DLC was just the dingleberry atop of a shit sundae.

They are using the same playbook they used last time, you had a meagre, garbage, uninformed mistake if you fell for it the last time--fair enough, fool you once. What exactly does it say if you're willing to believe them again?
Playasia didn't really do a stunt, it was other people threatening playasia for having the game and them retaliating in a way that somehow managed to give em ten times as many twitter subscribers than they had initially within the span of like a week that did it. If nobody had come after them for having the game available in english for gamers to purchase in the first place nothing would have happened.

I actually know someone who works for playasia's social media department and I was told that it was his senior colleagues that handled the social media before him that were responsible for the masterful response and how it went down.

It ended up with DoA Extreme 3 being their most preordered import game ever and they had a whole room full of copies to deliver and eventually ended up having an exclusive PA version of the game like the ones you'd see in big stores like Gamestop. It was pretty hilarious how people who were trying to take down the game ended up helping it.

As far as I'm concerned, I've been a PA customer since 2006 and I love the site to death so anyone going after it is threatening a lot of people's access to a side of gaming they can't otherwise access as far as I'm concerned, and I find that inherently terrible. People who hadn't even heard of the site suddenly had an opinion and it eclipsed all those years of good work it did for the community.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Dreiko said:
Playasia didn't really do a stunt, it was other people threatening playasia for having the game and them retaliating in a way that somehow managed to give em ten times as many twitter subscribers than they had initially within the span of like a week that did it. If nobody had come after them for having the game available in english for gamers to purchase in the first place nothing would have happened.

I actually know someone who works for playasia's social media department and I was told that it was his senior colleagues that handled the social media before him that were responsible for the masterful response and how it went down.

It ended up with DoA Extreme 3 being their most preordered import game ever and they had a whole room full of copies to deliver and eventually ended up having an exclusive PA version of the game like the ones you'd see in big stores like Gamestop. It was pretty hilarious how people who were trying to take down the game ended up helping it.

As far as I'm concerned, I've been a PA customer since 2006 and I love the site to death so anyone going after it is threatening a lot of people's access to a side of gaming they can't otherwise access as far as I'm concerned, and I find that inherently terrible. People who hadn't even heard of the site suddenly had an opinion and it eclipsed all those years of good work it did for the community.
Nobody was trying to "take down" Play Asia, fucking hell. 6 months after the devs said there wasn't going to be an NA localization (and nobody cared), one of the devs mentioned they didn't want to have "that kind of conversation" and Play Asia nakedly capitalized on it with this: https://twitter.com/playasia/status/669343456423100416?s=21

KT not localizing the game because it was a shit game with low projected sales wasn't an issue until culture warriors decided they had to spite the SJWs.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
altnameJag said:
Dreiko said:

Nobody was trying to "take down" Play Asia, fucking hell. 6 months after the devs said there wasn't going to be an NA localization (and nobody cared), one of the devs mentioned they didn't want to have "that kind of conversation" and Play Asia nakedly capitalized on it with this: https://twitter.com/playasia/status/669343456423100416?s=21

KT not localizing the game because it was a shit game with low projected sales wasn't an issue until culture warriors decided they had to spite the SJWs.
Thing is, that's a run of the mill off-hand comment/factual statement and not some deep "ploy" or "stunt" or anything in any way orchestrated and crafted to illicit the response that it ended up having with people who worked at games media threatening blackisting the site and so on.

It was serendipitous how people reacted to them and it was that reaction to a perceived affront by those who self-identify as "SJWs" (since that tweet wasn't being aimed at anyone in particular) that was the cause for this event.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
I mean fuck off. Both of which are inexcusable, other Japanese videogaming companies do not insult the people's intelligence like that, and the people pretending as if those saying this is problematic are merely 'SJWs' are lying through their teeth.
Dreiko said:
It was serendipitous how people reacted to them and it was that reaction to a perceived affront by those who self-identify as "SJWs" (since that tweet wasn't being aimed at anyone in particular) that was the cause for this event.
You really should look at right wing/'rational'/skeptic youtubers sometimes. Those guys are shockingly inept, lazy and anything they say can be debunked within minutes... and yet they still rake in money hand-over-fist with the laziest grift ever, and people swallow and believe their lies without question.

It's the same thing here, 'A fool and his money are easily parted'. I'd laugh, if not for the harassment and more caused by the blowback.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Windknight said:
Dreiko said:
You really should look at right wing/'rational'/skeptic youtubers sometimes. Those guys are shockingly inept, lazy and anything they say can be debunked within minutes... and yet they still rake in money hand-over-fist with the laziest grift ever, and people swallow and believe their lies without question.

It's the same thing here, 'A fool and his money are easily parted'. I'd laugh, if not for the harassment and more caused by the blowback.
Wish shows you how pathetic people who follows assholes like that really are. They're either miserable and don't know it, or think they're "fighting the good fight", and have no will of their own. I hate to use the term mindless sheep, as that would be an insult to sheep ever. I'll go with a bunch of yes men/women.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Windknight said:
Dreiko said:

I understand that other people do that, I just also know as a customer from 2006 that playasia never ever did something akin to those youtubers, so that tweet was more like a normal tweet you make and not something more thought out. Basically, blaming SJWs for game censorship is a normal activity, not the purview of the right-wing or youtubers or what have you.

It makes no sense to me that they just decided to do that one day and what the people I know told me also supports this. It just kinda happened and blindsided them and they just rode the wave into twitter popularity basically.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Dreiko said:
If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.

It ended up with DoA Extreme 3 being their most preordered import game ever and they had a whole room full of copies to deliver and eventually ended up having an exclusive PA version of the game like the ones you'd see in big stores like Gamestop. It was pretty hilarious how people who were trying to take down the game ended up helping it
No, it is quite literally very sad people are that stupid. We need less EAs, not more.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Gergar12 said:
Because the video game industry has lots of liberal media commenters duh.

$2,000 and it can be yours.

While it's hard to do a headcount and figure out who is and isn't liberal, and while liberals are not the issue but rather interesctionals, there is indeed an overabundance of prominent intersectional games journalists and that is pretty much undeniable and the issue at hand, since those journalists are activists first and foremost and are using gaming to further their activism. Prime example is sites like kotaku and polygon but most of all eurogamer who literally twitted out that they wouldn't stop being political activists and stick to games lol.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
undeadsuitor said:
Can we have mortal combat beach volleyball?
Scorpion would cheat - he can get the ball to "get over here" regardless of where the other team hits it.

Gordon_4 said:
I have no idea what Soul Calibur's 'thing' was. The weapons perhaps?
Yep.

Also, minor point, but SC has the advantage of being "pseudo historical fiction" whereas every other fighting IP listed is set in the modern day (realms in MK aside).