Dead Rising 2 Prequel Still In the Grave

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Dead Rising 2 Prequel Still In the Grave

The downloadable Dead Rising 2 prequel set to be released this week has been delayed due to inappropriate content.

Normally, games are delayed due to bugs or other issues. In a more mysterious case, Dead Rising: Case Zero, the downloadable prequel to Dead Rising 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Rising-2-Xbox-360/dp/B002EE5ROO/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1283186586&sr=1-1], has been delayed in Japan due to what Capcom says is inappropriate content.

Case Zero is an Xbox Live Arcade exclusive and was scheduled to be released on August 31. A last minute delay has caused Capcom to put the episode's release as "TBA" instead. The company reportedly discovered an aspect of Case Zero that was too violent to be included in the free demo portion.

The free download of Case Zero is meant to be the demo for Dead Rising 2. However, if players choose to pay 400 Microsoft Points, they get to experience a much larger story. Case Zero takes place three years before Dead Rising 2 and tells the tale of the game's main character, Chuck Greene, in his first encounter with the zombie hordes. Experience points and cash earned in Case Zero can be brought into the main game.

There hasn't been an announcement of Case Zero's delay in any other regions, but if you check XBLA this week and it isn't there, you know why. What's confusing is that Capcom knew from the beginning that Dead Rising 2 wasn't going to be a tame experience, with both zombie and human blood bound to be constantly spilled throughout, so it's odd that the company wouldn't have caught whatever it caught until a day before release. Dead Rising 2 is still on track for release on September 28.

[UPDATE] Capcom has told Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5625695/dead-rising-2-prequel-on-track-in-us-europe] that this won't affect the release of Case Zero in any other regions.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/30/dead_rising_2_case_0_delay/]

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
Those silly japanese people. What will they think of next?

Anyway, im seriously hyped for Case Zero. It´s gonna be awesome!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Haha! Oh wow, of all things. Thats pretty unique. Well, I am sure it will rear itsh ead eventually

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
So only in Japan it's delayed? and seriously? In japan it's delayed? There's so much more inappropriate things in Japan

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
So only in Japan it's delayed? and seriously? In japan it's delayed? There's so much more inappropriate things in Japan
Considering how lenient the Japanese are with their media, an announcement like this is bizzare. And what about Austrailia? They're ridiculously strict with mature content, but it doesn't seem they'll make a fuss.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
OceanRunner said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Considering how lenient the Japanese are with their media, an announcement like this is bizzare. And what about Austrailia? They're ridiculously strict with mature content, but it doesn't seem they'll make a fuss.
Turns out it's because in the free demo, Chuck says "son of a *****" in the intro. Not joking, this is the reason for the delay. Here's a link:

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-news-in-atlanta/dead-rising-2-case-zero-delayed-due-to-demo-contents

On the plus side, this may only apply to Japan...

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm going to be a little bit miffed if I can't get Case Zero. What could have been so bad though, that the Japanese would have pulled it? Necrophelia? Or the suggestion of necro-lust? Somehow I think not...unless there is a LOT of it but even then...

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
What the hell!? You allow people to be bloodily tortured in anime, in one case were someone had there fingernails pulled out which I blocked out the name, a child being killed, in Gantz, and constant rape in anime, okay serious overstatement but still, and you won't allow a bit of blood in a game- actually looking back on those examples it must be REALLY fucked up to be delayed, fuck.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Japan only? I'm still waiting with baited breath, tbh...

But seriously? The japanese thought something innapropriate? The land of molestation sims? Seriously? Either some former BBFC employee just had his first day of working at the japanese equivalent, or dead rising 2 must really be pushing it...

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
If it's only in Japan, then this explains it. Depicting Dismemberment in games is illegal in Japan.

GrimRox

Feb 22, 2008
Does anyone know if it is actually coming out today? I saw the article says it will come out as expected in the other regions (which is today?) but nothing is coming up for it on the Xbox website.