Dead Rising 2 Producer Hates His Job

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Dead Rising 2 Producer Hates His Job

He may have made dozens of games, but Capcom's Keiji Inafune says he isn't having any fun.

Considering his outspoken criticism [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95024-Inafune-Japanese-Game-Industry-is-Finished] of the Japanese game industry, you might assume that Inafune is passionate about making games and loves what he does. Well, that's where you'd be wrong, as he says he actually hates his job and wants to retire early.

Inafune said that people who enjoy their work take their time over it, but because he doesn't enjoy it, he works much harder and gets more done. He said that it would be easy for him to just do a small amount of work and still pick up a big paycheck, and there were a lot of creators who did exactly that, but that that wasn't the way he liked to do things.

For a man who hates working with games, he sure has spent a lot of his life doing it. In his 23 year career with Capcom Inafune has worked on more than two dozen Mega Man games - helping to create the original design for the titular character - as well as nearly the same number of non-Mega Man games either as a producer, or as an artist.

It's hard to imagine someone working a job that he or she actually hated for more than two decades if they had other options, so presumably, Inafune's comments aren't literally true and are meant to reflect how hard he pushes himself to succeed. Considering he thinks that Capcom is only just keeping up with Western developers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103614-Dead-Rising-2-Producer-Blasts-Japanese-Game-Industry], you've got to imagine he's pushing pretty hard.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5661596/dead-rising-producer-hates-his-job-he-wants-to-retire]

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
It's hard to imagine someone working a job that he or she actually hated for more than two decades if they had other options, so presumably, Inafune's comments aren't literally true and are meant to reflect how hard he pushes himself to succeed. Considering he thinks that Capcom is only just keeping up with Western developers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103614-Dead-Rising-2-Producer-Blasts-Japanese-Game-Industry], you've got to imagine he's pushing pretty hard.
If it wasn't for the fact that he has been working for over 2 decades and hasn't left and that it's just to show how hard he works, then I'd say someone take away the razorblades from his house! He sounds dangerous with all this hatred of pretty much everything around him.

Calumon: He doesn't hate me does he?

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
So in Japan when you hate your job you work harder? ... interesting indeed

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Antari said:
The japanese are very work related. When they need to take a sick day, they will either make up the hours or take vacation days instead of sick days out of respect for their employer. It's not uncommon for your direct boss to take on a father-figurish appearance at work, and alot of people simply don't take lunch breaks and all stay late. It's a very hard working culture

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
I'd hate my job too. Somehow I think creating video games for a living would actually ruin video games for me.

Either way it's a hobby that I wouldn't want to be my job.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Well, he is working for the guys who just deliberately drowned a cheesy but pretty well-recieved figure in their shit.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Heh, you know...as much as I admired the guy for being willing to see that the world's game industry is moving on with or without his nation...this kind of darker, melanchonic response is on the other hand *exactly* what I'd expect a Japanese person to admit to.

Not sure if I should be laughing at his misfortune, but...it just strikes me as a funny sort of irony really.

hurfdurp

Jun 7, 2010
It's probably easier to work harder when you aren't as emotionally invested in what you're doing.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
There are a lot worse jobs in the world

Bin Men
Dairy Farmer
Construction Worker
Roustabout (Someone who performs maintenance on oil rigs and pipelines)
Social worker

Try them and then tell me you hate your job

Still I sympathise with him because the amount of pressure they are under to meet targets, sales figures, profit margins and output levels

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
That's kind of weird coming from the guy who has often stated that he REALLY wanted to make Mega Man Legends 3. I'd imagine its the other aspects of his job that he hates, because he seems to like games in the very least.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
His comments basically describe Japan in a nutshell. 'I don't enjoy doing what I do but I keep doing it waiting for the day I won't have to do it anymore.'

It's amazing, what all these irate bloggers are saying about Japan are true. Are any of these guys passionate or is everything the result of 'happenstance'?

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
Antari said:
Yeah, In Japan it's common to find a job you hate and then try to become one of the best of it.
I'm going to be Bobby Kotick's secretary when I grow up.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
Too Human might have been horrible but at least Dyack poured his heart and soul into it. I'd like to think Bungie enjoyed making Halo. Imagine if Warren Spector said 'I hated making Epic Mickey.'

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
I like this guy if i ever own a video game company i want him working for me.

Gotta love an employee that is honest, and hell he does good work.