Dead Rising 3 PC Will Run Fine Above 30 FPS After All, Says Capcom

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Dead Rising 3 PC Will Run Fine Above 30 FPS After All, Says Capcom

A Capcom rep has stated that uncapping Dead Rising 3's PC framerate cap won't have any adverse effects - provided your PC is beefy enough.

The other week during E3, Capcom said that the upcoming PC version of Dead Rising 3 would Wbacon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e32014/11694-Dead-Rising-3-PC-Version-Will-Run-Into-Issues-Above-30-FPS-Says-Capcom] has "set the record straight," by stating that while Dead Rising 3 is optimized to run at 30 FPS, uncapping the game's frame rate will not necessarily lead to issues - provided of course your PC is beefy enough to handle it.

"Allow me to set the record straight -- while Dead Rising 3 is optimized to run at 30 frames per second for gameplay reasons, you can expect it to still run fine uncapped under most conditions provided you have a capable enough hardware. We can't guarantee that there won't be issues, and obviously depending on your rig you may see different results. Rest assured the beefier your gaming machine, the smoother your zombie killing experience will be."

In a Steam Community post [http://steamcommunity.com/app/265550/discussions/0/522730535829776687/], Wbacon posted several video examples of the game running in uncapped mode on a fairly powerful PC. He said that on this particular PC, the game ran fine from start all the way to the end without any "showstopping" issues.

Wbacon also clarified exactly what Capcom means by "recommended" system specs. "If your system meets the recommended specs, you will be able to play the game at High settings and at 1080p resolution. That's what we've formally tested at, and that is the consistent experience you can expect from the minimum and recommended specs outlined on the store page," he stated.

During E3, Capcom representatives were quoted as saying "We just really don't know what's gonna happen [if players remove the frame rate cap]. You might see some weird stuff with physics, some weird stuff with zombies."

Source: Steam [http://steamcommunity.com/app/265550/discussions/0/522730535829776687/]

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
And why didn't they give the full story to begin with? Something tells me the game is going to have problems uncapped...

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
The game is going to have problems PERIOD. Capped or otherwise. Nothing justifies those system requirements. It's obviously a bad port of a game that didn't sell well enough on Xbone.

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
I don't see why having a game not running at 30fps would directly cause problems, but then again I'm no programming expert. But from what's been said I think this will run on PCs like GTA 4 did when it first came out, i.e. not very well!

I was hoping to have better ports this year too, seeing as the new consoles have the same processor architecture as PCs, but so far it's been same old, same old.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Whilst that's nice that it " should be okay" what is more concerning is that the game was "optimised" to run at 30FPS in the first place. Fine you may not be able to run it at 60 or whatever on the xbone however your game should not be designed around a set frame-rate be that 30 120 or 240 fps. Higher fps always makes a game run smoother and make it a more enjoyable experience.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
A.k.a we didnt optimise to go above 30 fps so you better have the raw power to force it that high. Sincerely the watchdogs..wait..wrong game....and company.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Alexander Kirby said:
I don't see why having a game not running at 30fps would directly cause problems, but then again I'm no programming expert. But from what's been said I think this will run on PCs like GTA 4 did when it first came out, i.e. not very well!

I was hoping to have better ports this year too, seeing as the new consoles have the same processor architecture as PCs, but so far it's been same old, same old.
In need for speed rivals, raising the frame rate above 30 FPS actually caused the game's in-game speed to run faster, making it almost impossible to drive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDA37BmvNwM

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Another in the long line of developers these days who see computing power as a sledgehammer used to beat down problems rather than a map to be navigated to the promised land.

"Hope you have a good computer because we suck at this!"

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
alj said:
Higher fps always makes a game run smoother and make it a more enjoyable experience.
Except when the devs are idiots and tie something important to the frame rate in a way that removing the limit will literally break the game.

Skip to about 5:00 to see what i mean.

And as such, DR3 on PC will be pending a Certification of Not Shit.