Dead Rising 3 Producer: "Capcom's Had Its Missteps, It's Learning"

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Dead Rising 3 Producer: "Capcom's Had Its Missteps, It's Learning"

The producer says to expect "a lot of big stuff" from Capcom over "the next couple of years".

Capcom seems to be one of those old-school videogame companies that just can't keep up with the times, with recent big-name flops such as Resident Evil 6 and the recent Devil May Cry reboot contributing to its lackluster earnings in financial year 2013. The company turned a profit of just $33 million in the year ending 31 March 2013, but Dead Rising 3 lead producer Mike Jones believes that while Capcom has had it's missteps, it is starting to learn from it's mistakes. He says it just needs time to "find its place" in the evolving gaming landscape.

"Capcom is in a growth and adjustment period. The game's changed, new consoles are coming out... Everything's not out there in the open, right? There are portfolio discussions about next gen and mobile and digital and all this kind of stuff. They're well aware of our history, our strong properties, strong franchises, and they absolutely want to make the best content for gamers."

Specifically regarding those less-than-stellar decisions we've seen Capcom make in recent times, Jones says "Sometimes [Capcom] makes mistakes. Sometimes they work with partners who - sometimes games won't come out right, because there isn't enough funding or time or whatever it is, but they're trying and I think they're on the right track. If you look at their track record over the past year or two, there have been some successes in there, some failures in there, and a lot of lessons to be learned.

"People are listening and they're learning, and I think you'll see a lot of big stuff over the next couple of years," he added.

Jones is especially optimistic over the launch of the next-gen consoles, stating "I think as the new console generation develops, there's a lot of new stuff coming. Deep Down on PS4, Dead Rising 3 on Xbox One, trying to bring back Strider... "

So what do you think? Can Capcom redeem itself, or is it as dead as Mega Man Legends?

Source: OXM [http://www.oxm.co.uk/67174/expect-a-lot-of-big-stuff-from-capcom-over-the-next-couple-of-years/]

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
What's happening? Is it 'we dun goofed' week for stupid corporations?

At least Capcom haven't used up their forgiveness credit like EA has, mainly because I don't buy their products but still...

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
Well I've lost all care for Capcom a while ago. Probably because they went console exclusive with both their newest games and I just can't get myself to care about anything not on PC.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Ed130 said:
Yes it is. See with new consoles out they need to make sure people keep buying the shit they throw out. What better way to sucker in some of those on the fence than by saying "New generation, new us, we promise!" Just like the last gen.. and the one before that.. etc etc.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Ed130 said:

At least Capcom haven't used up their forgiveness credit like EA has, mainly because I don't buy their products but still...
Are we certain of that? Do we know if the DMC and Megaman crowd are still brandishing swords and X-Busters? Frankly, I think Capcom suddenly felt a whiff of irrelevance floating up off of their company and wanted desperately to hear from us again.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Make another Breath of Fire game (let's forget number 5 ever happened) and it might be enough to make Capcom relevant for me again

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
SourMilk said:
Ed130 said:
While also making a fair point that EA is under "new management". Changes won't happen overnight (if they do at all) but nonetheless it isn't the same guy running the show.
Yeah, but similar statements came out when John Riccitiello ascended to the CEO position. And we all know how well that worked out.

So no, EA used up their forgiveness credit back in 2007/2008 and I'm not going to be sucked in again.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
I am one of the few who wasn't horrified at RE6 and I like me some Dead Rising... If only they didn't include smartglass... I might have bought an Xbone just for it, but oh well. Not immediately, of course. But until that pointlessly exclusive content gets patched into the rest of the game I refuse to buy DR, just out of principle. And by proxy the Xbone because thus far DR was the only game I was hyped for on next gen.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
As always, one should take statements like these as wishful thinking on the employee's part rather than an official statement from the company itself. Same can be applied even when CEO utters the same words(see EA). I am not questioning the man's honesty, just his overblown sense of optimism.

But maybe he knows something that I don't know and he most definitely does but I don't think the inevitable revelation will shake up things that much in the long run.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Well that's nice of them. I shall await deeds that back up their words.

FalloutJack said:
Do we know if the DMC and Megaman crowd are still brandishing swords and X-Busters?
The only reason the Mega Man crowd may not be brandishing their X-Busters is of course because they have the Mighty No. 9 development to keep them happy. They'll have just abandoned Capcom and left them for dead.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Who even cares what they say at this point.
Everything large corporations utter might as well be a lie they can flip flop on as they please.
If you assume that they have absolutely no integrity, you'll be right most of the time.

What they did so far: shit all over their loyal fanbase.
What they did to fix that so far:

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Wasn't Mike Jones the one insulting Devil May Cry fans while the new one was in development?

Yeah, I don't believe a single thing that prick says.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Dead rising 3 all dark and grim with no fun. Sorry you have learned nothing. Lets see something like the older Re games or original Dead rising !

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well I actually didn't hate Resident Evil 6 like everyone else seemed to (going in with low expectations, perhaps?) and quite enjoyed DmC, even if it was a bit simpler than the other games in the series.

Plus, I'm having an absolute blast with Dead Rising 3, and I loved Remember Me as well so I'm of the opinion that Capcom doesn't need to redeem itself much at all really.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Sorry, Capcom, but to regain my affection you'll have to make it through sixteen individual quick-time events. And if you fail at any one of them, you have to start over from the beginning.

Press X to not suck!

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
http://www.court-records.net/animationgk/miles-crossed(d).gif
Admitting you have a problem is the first step to getting rid of it.
Now, all you have to do is release my second game outside of Japan!