Dead Rising 3 Producer: "Capcom's Had Its Missteps, It's Learning"

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Whatislove said:
Make another Breath of Fire game (let's forget number 5 ever happened) and it might be enough to make Capcom relevant for me again
This is basically how I feel too. BoF was such a great RPG series, dropping it from their roster made no sense to me. Even 5 wasn't 'bad' so much as just very different.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
JCAll said:
See, this is what happens when you cancel Megaman Legends 3.
I'm sure they're hurting hard from not finishing and releasing the niche spinoff of their steadily dying IP.

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
bafrali said:
As always, one should take statements like these as wishful thinking on the employee's part rather than an official statement from the company itself. Same can be applied even when CEO utters the same words(see EA). I am not questioning the man's honesty, just his overblown sense of optimism.

But maybe he knows something that I don't know and he most definitely does but I don't think the inevitable revelation will shake up things that much in the long run.
I agree with this statement, as the fellow from Capcom who said all this may or may not speak for the entire company or it's execs.

Also Capcom has a lot of learning to do when I think of the statements made in the last year such as not wanting to trust western developers anymore, relying more on DLC (which Microsoft gladly wants...), trying to makde Dead Rising for the "Call of Duty crowd", and overall spending WAY too much on any given project.

DmC didn't fail because of Ninja Theory, yet Capcom gave them the blame saying THEY were the ones that failed. Totally ignoring the facts that Capcom were the ones who wanted the character changed so dramatically and the way they marketed the game. Ninja Theory did the best they possibly could and I hope those guys will continue to work on new games.

Also, because of the fact Darksiders Rebirth didn't get as many downloads, all of a sudden Capcom feels that franchise isn't viable? I'm sorry but that's like saying no one would have interest in a new Mortal Kombat if the MK Arcade collection didn't get and many downloads. You can see the terrible reasoning here.

And if Capcom really cares about it's franchises and it's IP's, yet they will totally ignore Mega Man's 25th anniversary. Granted, as the man from Capcom said, maybe they wanted to do something but just didn't have the money or the time. Well if they didn't chuck every dollar and resource they had at Resident Evil 6 we could've gotten something. But at least they were kind enough to allow a fan made game to be put out and got behind it.

But yeah, Capcom certainly has made a lot of mistakes and I find it difficult to believe they can learn from them. Especially if you talk to Inafune or Makami. I'm sure those guys have a lot of great things to say about them.

Vyress

Jul 12, 2010
They learned? Let's recap:

Capcom has been in the business - for how long again? Like 30 years? And they "learned" just recently?! WOW!!! Congratulations.
Then again, I doubt they did.

Seriously, the way they pissed off their customers must have been much harder work than actually pleasing them.
- insulting the Devil May Cry fans for being against the emo Dante rework
- insulting Old Dante ("he'd be laughed at in a bar" or something among those lines was said - good publicity for the HD collection that was released after that btw ;D)
- not expanding on DMC4
- teasing Megaman Legends 3 and canceling it
- doing the same with Megaman Online
- not releasing a Megaman game for 5 years
- neither including Megaman X nor EXE in MvC3
- on disc DLC and defending it
- no Breath of Fire game in ages
- releasing same games over and over (MvC3 -> MvC3U, SF4 -> SF4AE -> USF4)

The fall from RE4 to RE5 and onwards was also quite the accomplishment. I mean kudos to them. They manage to have a winning formula and screw themselves despite of that. The ONLY SAVING GRACE Capcom has these days:
Monster Hunter.

The day they screw up Monster Hunter is the day Capcom dies. And they are on the way kinda. What's with them not releasing it on PS3? The first few MH games were released on PS2, some were on PSP (huh?) and now they are all on Nintendo consoles. Good job releasing one of your still intact IPs on the Wii U, the console with the smallest user base. 3DS kinda makes sense I guess, but PS3 alone has more units sold - and thus more potential customers - than 3DS and Wii U combined...

Considering all of the above I gotta say: I just don't get it. Is it that hard to look at things from the user perspective, take a few steps back, make realizations like "Hmm, I don't think I'd like that." or "That seems kind of awkward." and then readjust things from there? Is it really that hard?

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
At least Capcom is admitting they have a problem, so that's a small step. Now they just gotta get their act together and start winning back the hearts and minds of the gaming community.

They can start by showing more love and respect towards their blue bomber son and his creator.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ed130 said:
What's happening? Is it 'we dun goofed' week for stupid corporations?

At least Capcom haven't used up their forgiveness credit like EA has, mainly because I don't buy their products but still...
Don't worry, once Thanksgiving is a memory, we'll find out there's 4GB of 'DLC' on the disc of DR3.

And life will make sense.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mr. Q said:
At least Capcom is admitting they have a problem, so that's a small step. Now they just gotta get their act together and start winning back the hearts and minds of the gaming community.

They can start by showing more love and respect towards their blue bomber son and his creator.
No, they're going to continue to piss on Mega Man fans. I suspect it's the only thing that keeps them going in these quarters of poor results.

Also, I really want to see Mighty No 9 steer clear of Capcom.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Cybylt said:
JCAll said:
I'm sure they're hurting hard from not finishing and releasing the niche spinoff of their steadily dying IP.
That statement might have made the tiniest bit of sense if Mighty No. 9 hadn't proved that Megaman fans not only exist, but are willing to spend money. The only reason the Megaman IP is dying is because crapcom is trying to kill it.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I don't think veering away from making Dead Rising 3 a shit game really counts as learning (well, improvement) per se, but frankly I guess we'll take anything at this point

the problem is that I think Capcom is banking on us taking anything at this point

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
major_chaos said:
Cybylt said:
JCAll said:
That statement might have made the tiniest bit of sense if Mighty No. 9 hadn't proved that Megaman fans not only exist, but are willing to spend money. The only reason the Megaman IP is dying is because crapcom is trying to kill it.
A lot more of it came from butthurt fans spiting capcom more than any genuine interest in the type of game it is. Which is kind of a shame because Mighty No. 9 looks pretty promising, it should get funded on its own merits rather than "fuck crapcom."

Aside from that, Legends is a 3-D adventure title more akin to Zelda than the sidescrolling platformer than MegaMan titles mostly are and what Might No. 9 will be. Back in the day, people were pissed to see a megaman that wasn't a sidescroller and Legends never truly took off as a result. It never left niche status and Inafune had to cash in every last bit of good will he had to get 3 off the ground at all.

Actually, I think I can pretty accurately point out the size difference between classic MM and Legends fans. It took a month for Mighty No. 9 to raise several million dollars, it took a year for Legends 3 to get 100,000 people to click a goddamn button to say they're not happy that it's canned.

And MegaMan sure as hell wasn't getting stronger, nor was capcom trying to kill it, from 2004 to 2011 when every game (and they were coming out with at least two a year from 2003 to 2006) was making less money and getting worse reviews with every iteration barring MegaMan9 which was a low budget surprise hit and then immediately got back on that downward trend with 10 and 11. People only gave a damn about MegaMan again when they cancelled Legends, and that was a disproportionate level of anger, this was at a time when 3DS was considered dead on arrival and the most positive attitude about the game was, "Looks cool but I'm not getting a 3DS for it."

Sure it sucks that there's been no new MegaMan games for a couple years but it's not hurting capcom nearly as much as fans claim. Plus I'd rather see it die with some goddamn dignity(whatever X6+ and Battle Network milking didn't drain away at least) than be another Sonic.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I think that while perhaps Megaman fans aren't most of the market (like what, was somebody claiming that), the situation around it easily becomes the poster child of Capcom's overall issues.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Atary77 said:
But yeah, Capcom certainly has made a lot of mistakes and I find it difficult to believe they can learn from them. Especially if you talk to Inafune or Makami. I'm sure those guys have a lot of great things to say about them.
Though unfortunately a LOT of the stuff people ***** at CAPCOM for is the kind of stuff Inafune encouraged (such as pandering to the West and hiring mediocre Western devs instead of doing stuff in-house), so I wouldn't exactly trust him. As for Mikami, he's acting kind of the same way as Inafune lately and comes off as kind of a bitter old man.

Anyway, I can't exactly trust Jones. His track record has been awful, such as with the whole DmC fiasco and him encouragin Ninja Theory's unprofessional attitudes. I do find that CAPCOM has more of a Jekyll and Hyde thing going on. They do stupid things like with the aforementioned failed DMC reboot, Lost Planet sequels, etc, but they've also got their fair share of good stuff such as the revived Street Fighter series, MvC3, Phoenix Wright, Dragon's Dogma, RE: Revelations, etc as there are people in the company who want to create games and are good at it. They have to wrestle with stupidity though, which I feel is mostly that Inafune stink that's been hanging around the company. They're main problem is that they're trying to emulate Western business practices, when in fact I would say that even the WEST shouldn't do Western business practices (seriously, how many Western devs have folded shop over the past seven years?). What CAPCOM needs to do is just be itself and not be ashamed of what a bunch of idiots think

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Teoes said:
The only reason the Mega Man crowd may not be brandishing their X-Busters is of course because they have the Mighty No. 9 development to keep them happy. They'll have just abandoned Capcom and left them for dead.
You know me so well Teoes. Many of us left Capcom long ago. XD

OT: So you're learning huh? Maybe you'll continue development of Megaman Legends 3 then and actually release the eShop game that has been completed that you never released for no reason at all! >.>

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
You have released Dead Rising 3. Therefore, you have not learned yet.