Dead Rising 3 Review - Good Zombie Slaughter

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Dead Rising 3 Review - Good Zombie Slaughter

Few games can really capture the feeling of the zombie horde like Dead Rising 3.

Read Full Article

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Four out of five, huh?
Well smack my ass and call me Sally! (Dragon Age: Awakening reference~)

I am well surprised with both this review and the others for the Xbox One.
In all honesty I am going to keep going with my decision to keep my eyes on the Playstation 4.
It feels like that so many great things will come out on that instead of the Xbox One.

For example.
Persona 5. (Probably exclusive)
Kingdom Hearts 3.
... and I couple of others I can remember.

Yet I have a new hope for the generation, especially since we might get a Fallout 4 and new Dragon Age (Inquisition, which I really look forward to).
So yeah, I have new hope for the generation. :D
For both sides.

Still, good to see that the Xbox One got a good start.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Good to hear that Dead Rising is, well, good. As a big fan of the series, and someone who is getting the Xbox One on Day One this was one that I was looking forward to the most.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
StormShaun said:
Persona 5. (Probably exclusive)
Persona 5 is going to be released around 2020 then?

I mean, this is a niche company that was still making PS2 games in 2010 and has actually developed... one current (or I guess last by now) gen game. And that's assuming they don't simply jump ship to portables since they're more profitable and these days offer a level of quality on par with a home console release.

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
Its a little ironic Dead Rising 3 looks to comment on government monitoring, considering how the Xbox One was initially intended to function towards its audience.

Regardless, its good to see Dead Rising hasn't lost its touch yet. I'll give this a try with my bud when he gets this and his One this weekend.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Dead Rising 3 looks very zombie, and very brown, probably quite a good next-gen zombie game.

But it looks like it's lost it's sense of humour from the previous games, and everything that made it Dead Rising, and not just the latest Zombie game.

Mothhive

Apr 2, 2010
It's an exclusive title with a big open world and tons of zombies that demonstrates the power of the next gen console well.
Isn't it 720p at 30fps though? If that's a good demonstration of the power of the Xbox One, I hate to think what a bad one would be.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
It still seems like the series took WAY too hard a slant towards grit for me to enjoy it this time around.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Alfador_VII said:
But it looks like it's lost it's sense of humour from the previous games, and everything that made it Dead Rising, and not just the latest Zombie game.
Don't let the screens and trailers fool you, it's certainly still there. The weapons, costumes and psychos are still quite goofy, but as mentioned the whole setting does take a bath in a little grit.

Mothhive said:
It's an exclusive title with a big open world and tons of zombies that demonstrates the power of the next gen console well.
Isn't it 720p at 30fps though? If that's a good demonstration of the power of the Xbox One, I hate to think what a bad one would be.
Just because it's not pushing graphical fidelity doesn't mean it's not using the hardware resources in other ways, animating hundreds upon hundreds of zombies on screen with zero load time across the map is a much better use for this game.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
So Dead Rising once again proves to be a fun Zombie sandbox which still has it's own style even after all these Zombie games? Nice, I'm glad to see it get 4 stars. The kinect thing will probably irritate me when I play it, though.

Hopefully Dead Rising 4 will have more colour, the wackiness is still present in three from what I can tell.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
Mothhive said:
Please, tell me how you'll be able to notice a difference. Because you probably won't unless you're playing it on a ridiculous size TV and your super-human eyes can detect more than 30fps. Also keep in mind that for both consoles this is the beginning of the "next gen," which means console optimization is barely being scratched at yet. 1080p and 60fps doesn't meean squat right now - look at COD: Ghosts - looks exactly the same on either console it's played on right now, even PS4. Both new consoles just need their allotted time to grow into maturity.

Anyway, on topic...
This is one of the games that I was excited for, so I'm glad to see it getting a good review. Looking forward to some zombie slaughter. I liked the previous Dead Rising titles (with the exception of their AI), so I was pretty sure I'd like this one too.

Apothecary2

Aug 28, 2011
Slycne said:
Mothhive said:
Just because it's not pushing graphical fidelity doesn't mean it's not using the hardware resources in other ways, animating hundreds upon hundreds of zombies on screen with zero load time across the map is a much better use for this game.
I don't ever see anyone praise musou games for that.

Apothecary2

Aug 28, 2011
Midniqht said:
Mothhive said:
Please, tell me how you'll be able to notice a difference. Because you probably won't unless you're playing it on a ridiculous size TV and your super-human eyes can detect more than 30fps. Also keep in mind that for both consoles this is the beginning of the "next gen," which means console optimization is barely being scratched at yet. 1080p and 60fps doesn't meean squat right now - look at COD: Ghosts - looks exactly the same on either console it's played on right now, even PS4. Both new consoles just need their allotted time to grow into maturity.

Anyway, on topic...
This is one of the games that I was excited for, so I'm glad to see it getting a good review. Looking forward to some zombie slaughter. I liked the previous Dead Rising titles (with the exception of their AI), so I was pretty sure I'd like this one too.
Anyone can easily see the difference between 30 and 60 fps. Where are you getting the BS that it isn't possible? One is twice as fast as the other.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Apothecary2 said:
Well I can't speak for "anyone" else, but I'm eager as hell to see Dynasty Warriors on the next-gen consoles.

Mothhive

Apr 2, 2010
Midniqht said:
Mothhive said:
Please, tell me how you'll be able to notice a difference? Because you probably won't unless you're playing it on a ridiculous size TV and your super-human eyes can detect more than 30fps.
lol What the hell are you talking about? The difference between 30 and 60fps is extremely noticeable, no need to have super-human eyes. I'd suggest it's more likely that your eyes are sub-human, rather than everyone else's being superhuman.

As for 720p and 1080p difference, are you really telling me that you can't notice the difference when 1080p has more than twice the number of pixels? The massive reduction in aliasing alone makes a huge difference.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I'm eager to see how it would play on the PC like how Dead Rising 2 was ported successfully. Besides I couldn't use an xbox one on my current TV anyway.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I think this is the one game I envy the Xbone for. PS4 exclusives aren't looking very tempting. Bar Killzone, maybe.

Apothecary2

Aug 28, 2011
Slycne said:
Apothecary2 said:
Well I can't speak for "anyone" else, but I'm eager as hell to see Dynasty Warriors on the next-gen consoles.
Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends is a PS4 launch title in Japan.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
So weaker console with better "at-launch" games or the better console with, what can only described as, poor titles.

Game selection and quality trumps console in my eyes, which is a shame as I have already got my eyes on the PS4 (with a later launch date here in Britain). PS3 took it's time with getting high quality exclusives out the gate, with the best of the rest The Last of Us, which I still haven't played being a 360 owner, coming at the end of the console's life cycle. Hopefully Sony wises up and gets better quality titles out as soon as possible.

People are going to buy the console all their friends are playing on, so if the XBone has better games it will have the bigger audienc, by defualt.