Dead Rising 4 Only a Timed Exclusive For Xbox

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Dead Rising 4 Only a Timed Exclusive For Xbox

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1330/1330181.jpg
Microsoft has confirmed that the upcoming Dead Rising 4 will only be a timed exclusive for Microsoft consoles.

GameSpot [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/dead%20rising%204?os=dead+rising+4] that the game's exclusivity is only for a limited time.

"'Dead Rising 4' on Xbox One is developed by Capcom and will be published in partnership with Microsoft. Fans will be able to play 'Dead Rising 4' first on Xbox One and Windows 10 PC this December. It will remain a Windows 10 exclusive for the first 90 days and console exclusive on Xbox One for one year. We've had a close and longstanding relationship with Capcom including the launch of Dead Rising as an Xbox 360 exclusive and Dead Rising 3 as an Xbox One exclusive. We're thrilled to partner with Capcom once again to help bring their ambitious vision for Dead Rising 4 to life."

Dead Rising 3 was a timed exclusive on the Xbox One for 10 months, after which it came to PC. As of now, it is still yet to come to PS4, but Microsoft made it clear at the time that it had secured a console exclusivity deal.

Meanwhile, Dead Rising 4 will launch simultaneously for PC and Xbox One on December 6. The 90 days of exclusive Windows 10 time suggests it will make its way to other platforms (IE: Steam) after that, and the one year of "console exclusivity" strongly suggest it will make its way to PS4.

Source: Gamespot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dead-rising-4-is-a-timed-exclusive-for-xbox-one-an/1100-6440999/]

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
"Timed exclusive"? That's what they're calling it now? I thought pretty much every Capcom game did this, but I don't remember fancy monikers slapped on them for it.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
LaughingAtlas said:
"Timed exclusive"? That's what they're calling it now? I thought pretty much every Capcom game did this, but I don't remember fancy monikers slapped on them for it.
To me, a timed exclusive, is exclusive for about three months. Anything longer is a kick in the balls. Like the Tomb Raider sequel. I loved the reboot, but as soon as I found out that I had to wait for a year, my faith in the franchise plummeted like an anvil.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
So long story short, if you really want this, wait a year and then pick up the PS4 "Remastered" version which will also have all the DLC for no extra cost.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
It's the same as with Tomb Raider. Are PS4 owners really going to be interested in a year old game or are they going to be getting the latest releases?

I really don't see how this makes financial sense for them to cut out the console with the largest player base.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Considering how "meh" Dead Rising 3 was, they shouldn't have went with the timed exclusive. Rise of the Tomb Raider learned that the hard way. Timed exclusives don't sell consoles. This is a move MS has been doing since the jump and its backfired 3 generations in a row now.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
They pulled this shit with multi-platform DLC too. It's adorable. "I got it first!" Shouts M$ on the playground clutching the title close to its chest. "It's mine and nobody else's."
Meanwhile, all the effect it has on the PS owners is making them more bitter about a company they have already sided against.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well at least they announced it before the game's launch this time round.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
How many people actually cared about Rise of the Tomb Raider once it finally was released for every other system? I know some people played it on PC since they'd been waiting, but I haven't heard practically any talk of it, which stands in pretty stark contrast to Tomb Raider (2013), which people were talking about for rather a long time following its release. And it's not even because Rise isn't a good game; from all I've heard it's basically 2013 but better. But it was a console exclusive for a while, so the interest for it died before it was actually played by a large proportion of the public.

I don't foresee anything else happening to this. Especially considering that it's just another zombie game at this point.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
And another game to throw on the pile of "Ehhh maybe a steam sale if its good"

and game companies wonder why exclusive games don't sell well...

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
thewatergamer said:
And another game to throw on the pile of "Ehhh maybe a steam sale if its good"

and game companies wonder why exclusive games don't sell well...
Game companies don't make exclusives for the sake of selling well, though that's a plus, they do it because they know there's no reason whatsoever to get any given console over any other given console or a PC without it. Exclusives are monopolies designed to all but obligate gamers to pick up their consoles, not because they benefit the consumer in any way, especially these days when the only thing stopping consoles from actually being low to mid end PCs is that they are programmed not to.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Seeing as the Tomb Raider reboot sequel still hasn't come to PS4 yet, seeing as i've lost all previous interest in the title with so many other unique distractions, this doesn't seem like a choice that benefits the consumer in any way. Neither does it appear to benefit the developers. In fact, it only really benefits Micosoft, shamelessly gating what they can, for as long as they can, in their treehouse to convince people it's what we want. Stay classy, MS, unless you are really trying to own this whole desperate image thing. Glad i made the jump from ship at a most convenient moment, but how long will these tricks continue?
Though part of me is relieved this is eventually crossing borders, that part is overshadowed by the knowledge that i will end up losing interest and finding bigger and better things once reviews and user comments start chipping away at the curiousity.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Has the XBO had one true exclusive yet? I thought nearly everything has shown up in Windows or is going to show up on windows?

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
You could say this is an attempt to have one's cake and eat it too; it's exclusive, but not forever. I'd say it's certainly not as bad as making something completely exclusive to a single console (or just for PC), but still it seems like software companies trying to get hardware companies to sweeten the pot for themselves at the expense of the player base. "Oh sure, you can be the only concole with this for a short period, namely the early Christmas sales period when people are throwing money like it's got a contagious disease..."