Dead Space 2 DLC Packs Unlocked on PC

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dead Space 2 DLC Packs Unlocked on PC

PC gamers may be able to gain access to console-exclusive Dead Space 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-2-Pc/dp/B002I0HJ68/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1297352495&sr=8-3] suits and weapons DLC after all, thanks to an edited save file that purports to unlock the items that were already in the game.

Back in January, EA revealed three suit-and-weapons Dead Space 2: Severed DLC [http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Dead-Space-2/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802454108df], they were also announced as console exclusives. But are they?

Not according to people in an ongoing discussion in the Steam forums, where a link to an edited save game that apparently unlocks all the suits in the game, including those available via the DLC packs, is now making the rounds. The installation process is very simple and while situations like this are always "buyer beware," several Steam users have confirmed that the save does in fact work.

The conversation originally began on EA's own Dead Space forums but migrated to Steam after EA deleted the thread, a move that undeniably contributes to the feeling that this is the real deal. And since the save file is tiny - 3.4K in size - it's obvious that it doesn't contain the DLC data but merely unlocks it, meaning that the code was present in the game all along. This naturally leads to the question of why EA [http://www.ea.com] made the DLC bundles console only, since it clearly didn't take an act of rocket surgery to open them up on the PC. It's possible that the publisher does plan to "release" it for the PC at some point in the future, but even if so, why delay it at all?

We've reached out to EA for more information and will let you know what they have to say, if anything. In the meantime, you can find out more about the PC DLC situation and, if you're feeling brave, snag a copy of the edited save file at Steam's Dead Space discussion forum [http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20713895#post20713895]. Bear in mind that this does not constitute any kind of endorsement of the save; I haven't tried it, I can't verify its safety and if you end up nuking your entire system into oblivion, it's all on you.

via: Techspotlight [http://techspotlight.net/news/dead-space-2-pc-gets-dlc-no-thanks-to-ea-but-to-edited-save-files]

Apr 28, 2008
If its on the disk, its not downloadable content. First the crap with Bioshock 2, now this. Just unbelievable.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
Same happend with dragon age, Fallout new vegas, etc. Pc users found ways to get the "on the disc" dlc on your pc. Even if it was from preordering from multiple retailers or in this case console exclusive (but on the disk).
Thanks for the Hint, thought i had to put up with that fad :)
I hate it when people lock away content on the disk even if alot of the cheats and dlc you can buy ruin the balance.
Ill edit with a confirmation if it wotks or not.

Edit: Yes it works you use the safegame as a new game+ save.

Funny how companies go out of they're way to make the pc expirience worse by locking content away so that the console version seems to have "exclusive features"

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Honestly, the people at EA should've seen this coming (maybe they did, and that's why they didn't try to sell it...)

Any content you've put in the game files but failed to "unlock" can be gotten at by the users. And PC is extra-open to this sort of thing. The only real way to sell DLC on PC is by making it install the data after launch.

Jan 23, 2009
so... why is this paid-for-dlc, something we should have to buy if it's already been included?

Are the people who use this savefile now pirates?

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Sneaklemming said:
so... why is this paid-for-dlc, something we should have to buy if it's already been included?

would you consider somebody accessing content that is in the game they purchased a pirate? i certainly wouldn't.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
This saddens me. Whenever there is content on the disc that I have to pay for I am really disheartened. I don't understand why I should have to ever pay for something already on the disc. If you put it on the disc, it isn't extra content.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I'm a little more concerned about how this DLC was obviously easy to put into the PC version, to the point where it literally is in the PC version just locked away, but EA arbitrarily didn't want to give it to us. Either they are waiting to release it to us in time, and just not telling the truth about the exclusive, or they are purposefully going out of there way to discourage PC players. Who last time I checked, may be a smaller percent of the market, but their money is still pretty green. On the upside, at least, it doesn't exactly strike me as must-have DLC.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
So according to EA, just because they weren't going to give you something doesn't mean you can have it in any other way... nice...

Jan 23, 2009
uppitycracker said:
Sneaklemming said:

would you consider somebody accessing content that is in the game they purchased a pirate? i certainly wouldn't.
Well if the extra content is meant to cost $5 extra then ...theyre stealing it right? Unless EA shouldnt have been selling it in the first place.

Jan 23, 2009
9_6 said:
Sneaklemming said:
Well if the extra content is meant to cost $5 extra then ...theyre stealing it right? Unless EA shouldnt have been selling it in the first place.
New ammunition for retarded morality discussions detected.
If you order a pizza and the box comes with a locked case in which there are fries, the key costs 5 bucks but you manage to open the box and eat the fries without paying for the key anyway, you're a thief?
Trick question, the real question is, who in their right mind put that case with the fries readily accessible into the box of pizza in the first place?
Tbh it's DLC - downloadable content.

If it is content unlocks, then that's what it is - not DLC - therefor EA are lying to consumers = lawsuit.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Sneaklemming said:
uppitycracker said:
Sneaklemming said:

In my eyes, if it's included in the original game, ESPECIALLY a 60 dollar game, then they have no business charging more for it. Of course, that's a fine line of what you consider just on the publisher/player ends of the spectrum.

ScRaT_the_destroyer

King of Fail
Nov 18, 2009
9_6 said:
See this is why DLC can go die in a fire.
I have not yet seen any sort of DLC that would be worth my money at all and then this crap where the files are on the disk but locked away happens and is apparently all the latest rage now.

What ever happened to the idea of making DLC actual expansions?
You know, like expansions from a time before it was suddenly download only.

Instead what we get is 2 or 3 items or maps and to add insult to injury, the files are on the disk you bought already.
Whoop dee fucking doo.
the sad thing is its much more cost effective to make people pay $5 a pop for very little content than $30 for a full expansion. most expansion packs seem to becoming full fledged stand alone games in their own right ie SupCom: Forged alliance, Crysis Warhead, Spore: Galactic Adventures, Dawn of War II: Retribution etc etc etc

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
This is one of the reasons I hate DLC. It's just a money grab - it's not a case of them finishing the game and afterwards just adding new stuff to enhance the experience, it's them finishing the game and them selling it to us over and over bit by bit. I understand all DLC is not like this, but there's an obvious market tactic that publishers like EA and Activision do to rip off gamers.

rvdm88

Jun 11, 2008
I tried it and to my disapointment, it worked like a charm,
Why would EA lock away that content, if it was a compatibility or logistical problem i could just wave it off. But including it not only on the disk of the consoles but ALSO on the Disk/EADownload/SteamDownload of the PC version just blows my mind...

Also i dont really get why they would try to sell the sh*t in the first place,
It is just a few suits and weapons with different colours textures and maybe a 5-15% boost to certain stats here and there.

They should just unlock it for the PC version anyways it just doesnt make sense...

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
I've bought all 3 from PS store. 100 kb unlocks they are. Sure, they make game more fun. To a certain extent.