Dead Space 2 Hero Not Silent, But Very Quiet, Says Visceral

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Dead Space 2 Hero Not Silent, But Very Quiet, Says Visceral

Isaac Clarke's next adventure will be a monologue free zone, says Dead Space 2's producer.

If you were dismayed to learn that the previously silent Isaac Clarke would start talking [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100647-Breaking-Isaac-Clarkes-Silence-in-Dead-Space-2] in Dead Space 2 [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00309U0M6/ref=s9_bbs_gw_d0_ir01?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1Q4EHKEM18QTZBT72F6H&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846] then you'll probably be quite pleased to learn that he won't be flapping his gums all the time. In fact, Visceral Games actually removed a lot of Clarke's dialogue, because it didn't work quite the way it wanted.

Dead Space 2 producer, Shereif Fattouh, said that there was a big difference between the dialogue on paper, and when it was actually in the game. What might look fine in a script was often much too long for the game, and had to be cut, and/or edited multiple times before Visceral was happy with it. Fattouh said that the long speeches were throwing off the rhythm of the game, and so they had to go. "I don't want to hear him talking, this is ridiculous," he said. "I wouldn't be talking while I'm shooting, you know - while I'm being chased by these necromorphs, [but] he's having a monologue about his lament for his ex-girlfriend".

It's not hard to imagine what he means; few things ruin atmosphere faster than someone gabbing away when something tense or frightening is going on. I don't think it's a bad thing that Isaac speaks now - his silence could sometimes feel a little strange in the first Dead Space [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-Greatest-Hits-Playstation-3/dp/B000X1TC0U/ref=sr_1_4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295614892&sr=1-4], especially when other characters were talking to him - but it's clear that Visceral was prepared to be brutal with the script to keep the feel of the game intact.

Dead Space 2 comes out for Xbox 360, PC, and PS3 on January 25th.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/21/visceral-isaac-is-not-a-chatty-cathy-no-monologues-in-dead-space-2/]

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
...really? Sadly, this was the only reason why i was buying this game. actually hearing him talk!

wrong choice viceral. wrong choice

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Fair enough. I'm glad they're not gonna ruin the atmosphere. Still though :) Looking forward to this game. Got my pre-order down. And I get a second game for free (DS Extraction) Feeling pretty happy about next friday...

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
Well that is somewhat of a relief, I mean I would prefer him to be completely silent, but I suppose the script writer and voice actor have both got to eat. (not each other of course)

Anyway I look forward to some more of that classic statistic dismemberment.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
I don't see a problem with him thinking to himself. Hope they don't give him voice when NPC are giving him orders :p Just a nod or two would be perfect.

the obligatory "yeah" "Ok" "im on it" bullshit, those tiny bits of talking annoy more than just straight up speech dialogue in cut scenes or on the comms. Fully formed sentences > one word acknowledgment.

also good to know it won't turn out like Samus Aran XD

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Meh whatevs as long as he talks when he's spoken to by other characters i'm fine with it, i don't want him going "gah a necro!" every two seconds

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
One of the secrets of good writing is knowing when not to write.

I am looking forward to DS2 but I'm holding off on my pre-order until I can work up the courage to actually finish the first one.

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
Sarah Kerrigan said:
...really? Sadly, this was the only reason why i was buying this game. actually hearing him talk!

I don't know about that, look at what happened when they made Samus talk and gave her way to much and way to stupid and boring dialog. I say if you don't have anything interesting to say than its probably good they keep their traps shut. I'm looking at you Team Ninja.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Alandoril said:
One of the secrets of good writing is knowing when not to write.
More developers need to learn this.

Dear god, Red Dead Redemption needs to shut up sometimes. The long, non-stop preaching of the rebels...OY!

OT:

Dead Space 2 sounds better and better to me. Shame I'm going to have to wait a few months before picking it up.

Penitent

Oct 25, 2008
Thank goodness they avoided falling down the same pitfall that Metroid: Other M did.

Nicely done, Visceral. I'm feeling enthusiastic about this game. :)

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
Sarah Kerrigan said:

It only says they removed his monologues. I'm personally hoping this means we'll hear him screaming "SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT" while he's running away from necromorphs.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
When I imagine random monologues as you kill enemies, I think of John McClane in die hard with his borderline schizophrenic rants as he's doing stuff. Awesome and funny, but not good for the scary atmosphere.

Would kind of fit with his deteriorating mental state and everything...but it's probably for the best.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Visceral Games is fast becoming a developer on my "Developers to Support List" list. Can't wait for Dead Space 2. I loved the original, and despite it not being all that "scary", the atmosphere was great and from what I've seen of Dead Space 2 it seems to deliver that and more.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I'm glad. I was getting worried after seeing the GameStop commercial with Isaac Clarke's generic-as-fuck, macho and gravely "No one pukes on me" voice. You know, the voice you hear on every single fucking FPS ever made?

Moeez

May 28, 2009
That's interesting how a script can't fit when you actually put the game around it. Looks like the better part of the storytelling will be told by the environment and scripted moments, rather than rendered cutscenes (Dead Space 1 didn't have any) and monologues.

I'm more interested now, in the story.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Scrythe said:
I'm glad. I was getting worried after seeing the GameStop commercial with Isaac Clark's generic-as-fuck, macho and gravely "No one pukes on me" voice. You know, the voice you hear on every single fucking FPS ever made?

That's not the game's voice actor. Have you seen any other Gamestop commercials for big games? They're meant to be stupidly funny.