Dead Space 3 Dev: The Last Thing We Think About is Money

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Oh hey, now my desire to watch this game fail miserably has increased five folds.

I'm sure the people at Visceral are decent people, but these are just blatant lies.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Sounds like someone's covering hard.

'Oh we don't think of money at all; we just thought putting pay-per-content throughout the game was a good design decision'.

Either he's lying or EA just tacked this stuff on to the finished product.

fwiffo

Sep 12, 2011
Hagi said:
I think he's totally correct.

Money most likely was the last thing they thought about. And the first. And the second.

Money Money Money.

I see your money, and I raise you....loads

OT: Pretty funny stuff. I hope consumers and journalists continue to call out this bullshit.

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
Man, that's more spin than Bill O'Riely in a tornado. Seriously does this man think we're stupid? Making a game more accessible doesn't mean asking the player for more cash to unlock things. The game should be plenty accessible through various levels of difficulty settings which the player should choose. Honestly do they think no one of the intended age group can handle playing Dead Space on the lowest difficulty? If this game shared the same DNA of the previous two games then we could simply use a cheat code to get more money and power ups like we did in the original game.

xEightBitPlayerx

Jun 26, 2011
Argh, Atary77 you beat me to this, I agree with you 100%. This can easily be done through difficulty settings and what can or cannot be unlocked by your choosing. The community need to come together and smash this down.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
BLAH BLAH BLAH; we've heard this all before. EA is making it harder and harder for me to be okay with buying their games. I think Dead Space 3 might be the first video game because the EA label is attached to it; it's just getting out of hand.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

Oh yeah, good one there, Visceral, we believe you *nudge nudge*

Well, after Medal Of Honour's death yesterday, I believe Dead Space may be the next to go.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
MikeWehner said:
"EA leaves us alone. Almost every decision when it comes to the game is ours and ours alone," Calhoun explains in regards to who made the call to include paid weapon and credit packs. "We're trying to find ways to make sure that Dead Space 3 is really accessible. That doesn't mean we're going to sacrifice who we are or what the core tenets of Dead Space are in order to attract new players. Dead Space 3 shares the exact same DNA as Dead Space 1 and Dead Space 2." Adding later, "The last thing we think about is monetization."
You know, all your accessibility perks used to come in the form of cheat codes for free... just saying.

edit:

Andy Shandy said:

Oh yeah, good one there, Visceral, we believe you *nudge nudge*

Well, after Medal Of Honour's death yesterday, I believe Dead Space may be the next to go.
And you just know they'll blame the fans and critics for it too.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
So they make it more accessible by making players PAY MORE? Ok, let's say that by paying the game gets easier for some players, due to stronger weapons and stuff, but hey, wasn't that supposed to be "easy mode"? And how long until they release ultra hard games, making you PAY to get a "normal" experience?

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
The only reason I don't believe this is because of the removal of the in-game currency making it much harder to do things you used to do.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
On one hand, EA is the same company that said "they have to sell 5 million copies to remain a viable franchise".

On the other hand, and I'm going to just point this out... how is this ANY different from the ORIGINAL game?
http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Downloadable_Content_for_Dead_Space

You could pay money for better suits, better weapons, better abilities... or you could ignore it. DS1 came with a large chunk of DLC that serves the exact same purpose of giving you an edge in the game.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Total Bullshit!

There has been something around nearly since the first computer game saw the light of day - it was called:

Difficulty Level! Remember that? and it was the FREE in about every game.

And now, here comes the big part!
some let you CHANGE the difficulty level during gameplay and some even better games throw you a few bones when you are doing really badly.
What was wrong with that???

Now If I suck at a game I am supposed to BUY my difficulty level?
Really?!

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
MikeWehner said:
Calhoun insists that money was not a motivating factor in the decision.
How can there be any other motivation to add paid content than money? Do they expect that anyone actually believes this kind of bullshit?
If accessibility is the motivation, why do players have to pay for it?

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Must.retain.straight.face.

Oh to hell with it!

::Falls over laughing.::

Ahhh Dead Space 3, sure to continue my tradition of buying Dead Space games used for $20 a year or so after they come out.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Trishbot said:
On one hand, EA is the same company that said "they have to sell 5 million copies to remain a viable franchise".

On the other hand, and I'm going to just point this out... how is this ANY different from the ORIGINAL game?
http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Downloadable_Content_for_Dead_Space

You could pay money for better suits, better weapons, better abilities... or you could ignore it. DS1 came with a large chunk of DLC that serves the exact same purpose of giving you an edge in the game.
And it was BS back then as well, I suppose (never realy played Dead Space). But it's not just that they announced their BS DLC, they also have their paid content thing and flatout said that they were just going to make a shitty PC port because fuck you PC gamers. All of that happened in the course of like two or three days. And then they went on and claim monetization had nothing to do with that. It's just insulting, and I'm not even a fan of Dead Space.

I mean it is okay if they want to be exploitive jerks. But if they do that they should at least be honest about that.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Hey look. I have an idea how they could make the game more accessible without resorting to practices that everyone hates. CHEAT CODES!

Fuckin' liars.