Dead Space Goes Multiplayer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dead Space Goes Multiplayer

Necromorph slap-chopping is about to become a whole lot more social, as EA appears to be adding online multiplayer support to the upcoming Dead Space 2.

A job listing posted on Dead Space [http://www.linkedin.com/jobs?viewJob=&jobId=784768] franchise on Xbox360 and PS3," who will "conceptualize, script, direct, and build online levels for the game" and "create extremely fun, satisfying and polished multiplayer levels."

There's no indication how the multiplayer will work at this point, whether it will be tacked on as a separate, non-story component similar to that of the equally multiplayer-unfriendly BioShock 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91580-BioShock-2-Multiplayer-Prequel-Revealed], or somehow shoehorned into the sequel's plot. Perhaps the game's hero will be joined by his old drinking buddies Frederik Heinlein and Harlan Bradbury for some hot vivisecting action. Whatever the case, it's a bit of a surprise move given that surviving alone in a hostile environment is a core component of the game and not, one might think, particularly conducive to online gameplay; but not really surprising at all, on the other hand, since most major publishers these days seem to feel an instinctive need to offer multiplayer support in pretty much every game they put on the market.

Dead Space was, as the job listing notes, an award-winning title but it wasn't a particularly huge seller and given EA's current bone-deep cuts [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95994-EA-Heavily-Cuts-Jobs-at-Mythic-Tiburon-Black-Box-and-Redwood] at EA, the listing says the company is "100 percent committed" to the franchise.

via: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/14/ea-job-listing-hints-at-online-multiplayer-for-dead-space-2/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fjoystiq+%28Joystiq%29]

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
that would be pretty cool, actually. maybe a mode where 1 player has a very sneaky Necromorph and has to assasinate all the others. or having huge battles, space guys vs player-controlled Necros.

or even better, a Survival mode!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, I don't have Dead Space, but please say it's not claiming to be a horror game.
With two times the guns, how can it be scary?

Ryuk2

Sep 27, 2009
Sellout, sellout, here he come...
I can't think of a way they could make multiplayer out of this. Does anybody feel optimistic about this one? The single player itself was lacking, but the thing i didn't like about it were monsters and how you decapitate their limbs. It seem like i was shooting lasers at silly monster, made of jelly.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
y not a left4dead style multiplayer? all Co-op! that wouldnt feel as tacked on as say some kind of Deadspace Deathmatch

I mean the Wii version of the game already have you walking around with like 4 ppl so y not just make them playable :p

Stitches242

Nov 16, 2009
Id love to see this game left alone. In my opinion I never saw - or would like to see - Deadspace have a multiplayer. If anything, a survival type would be nice.

Christemo said:
that would be pretty cool, actually. maybe a mode where 1 player has a very sneaky Necromorph and has to assasinate all the others. or having huge battles, space guys vs player-controlled Necros.

or even better, a Survival mode!
I would not want L4D scenarios/play instances to be replicated into Deadspace 2.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Oh. My. [Deity].
Who the hell told EA about my plans for Left 4 Dead Space?!!
Dammit, I've got to kill everyone involved now.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
The only way I can see this working is if it's a survival mode where one team are necromorphs, and the others are survivors who must get to an escape pod or something.

Or just a survival mode where a trapped team must survive against waves of necromorphs.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Vierran said:
Could be interesting, depending on how it is done.
Indeed, done correctly it could turn out to be an excellent addition. Condemned 2 was a survival horror game (for the most part) and it had a superb multiplayer; they just ruined it by having horrific lag and randomly kicking people from games, but the idea itself was genius.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
I hope they do some sort of survival mode where you can run around a large portion of the ship. If you strayed to far away from your team, you won't be able to hear them on your mic. The closer you get to them, more clearer they become.

Pretty nifty if you ask me.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Hm...I'm guessing they probably got this idea from how well Dead Space Extraction's co-op went. Well, hopefully this will be skillfully implemented. Bioshock seems to be proving that adding multiplayer to a previously single-player horror game can work, so hopefully the DS developers will do it equally well. If not, then let's just hope it won't tarnish the single-player experience.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Perhaps the game's hero will be joined by his old drinking buddies Frederik Heinlein and Harlan Bradbury for some hot vivisecting action.
Heheh, this was pretty clever, Mal. Cookie for whoever can figure out all the guys referred to in this sentence!

Multiplayer Dead Space could be fun. We all love Left 4 Dead, right? And that's about as "survival horror" as DS (which is to say, not very much).