Dead Space

Barry93

Mar 5, 2009
No, Dead Space 1 and 2 are not scary, but that's not why I like them. I expected to play an action game, not a horror game.

Gustof26

Apr 7, 2011
Nifarious said:
Yahtzee's an idiot with one conception of horror. Dead Space does what Carpenter's The Thing does: take the human/animal form and contort it to horrible, unimaginable monstrosities. It's visceral, not 'psychological' (scarequotes emphasized). Shock at violence and physical distortion does wan, but never its abjection.

God the petulance that 'critic' breeds on this site is draining.
All Dead Space did was imitate Carpenter's the Thing. The Thing wasn't scary because the creature took really messed up shapes. The Things horror appeal was meant to be that anyone could be the thing. Not to mention each, and every form the Thing took was different. The very fact that their were "Types" of enemies took away from this. The thing was Visceral, and Psychological. Dead space is a decent shooter, just not a decent Horror game.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I guess some people find different games scarier than others. For instance, I thought the first Dead Space was pretty scary, and so was the second one to a certain extent. But I do agree with the fact that they overused the whole scenario where you come across an already dead necromorph, then it jumps out at you.

Anyway I find the Dead Space series much scarier than Condemned. But the F.E.A.R series is still the scariest by far in my eyes.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Ive played though the whole thing, its pretty fucking predictable and never really gets scary. Silent Hill was the only game that ever got me scared though.

wolas3214

Mar 30, 2011
Deadspace 1/2 isnt a horror game so much has a well done survival action. It ddid become scary during some moments. in the beginning and on the ishumura the second time it really built the tension and scares but it resorted to the usual" HEY LOOK AT ME! ARE YOU SCARED YET! I POSE AN IMMINENT THREAT AND MY FACE IS MISSING RAWR ABLOOGY WOOGY WOO!" most of the time. still a great game though. Honourable mentions to those damned stalkers.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Andrew_Mac said:
Portal 2. scared the shit out of me!
*cough*
No, dead space wasn't scary, and dead space 2 wasn't either. more shocking then scary i thought.
But what games ARE scary? apart from the games that get in your brain (Alan wake) the rest have to resort to the dead space method of, its dead NO ITS NOT RAWR!! I got the the point that i was shooting every corpse on dead space 2, just cos it was instant death for them, instead of waiting for them to get up and attack.
Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a "it's coming, it's coming where am I going to hide" game
Condemned: Criminal Origins is a "Ok so I just killed a couple of hobos with a pipe... wait weren't those mannequins over there before?" game.
and
System Shock 2 is a "Shhhh what was that? Did you hear that? Where is it coming from? Over there? 'Join Usssssssss' Was it up there? 'eeek eeek ook' Run! Run! It's monkeys!" game.
None of these game resort to jump scares, they develop a sense of danger and use audio clues to torment you.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
alfawx said:
No_Remainders said:
So, a friend of mine gave me a loan of Dead Space today, and I was wondering when it gets scary.

I mean, I was told that even in the first chapter it would be scary, but so far all I've got are necromorphs occasionally coming out of the walls and then the old cliché of "Oh, it's dead... NO WAIT IT SUDDENLY JUMPS UP AND ATTACKS YOU!"

Seriously? Is this what "scary" is? No. Alan Wake was scary. That did fear in a psychological way and did it well. This? This just tries to throw things at you in a poor attempt at juvenile shock-horror, and it fails.

It's actually bad when a game that is supposed to instil fear ends up becoming predictable to the point of me saying "Well, that necromorph is clearly about to jump up and attack me."
Personally, I don't really think it ever does. I just like it for its gameplay. Honestly, though, I'm surprised you found Alan Wake scary, I was actually more scared of Dead Space. I mean it was a good game, but it was really just running around a forest with silhouettes attacking you. If you want some great psychological horror, try Silent Hill 2 or 3. If you're into action-y horror, try Condemned.
I thought Alan Wake was scary in the "fucking with your head" sorta way.

Shrug. It didn't terrify me, but it did the job while I was playing it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Dead Space never gets scary.

Neither did Alan Wake for that matter.

Both games make the utterly fatal horror mistake of letting the player kill the monsters. Nothing is scary when you can casually blow it away in three shots. Or in the case of Dead Space, cheerfully bounce the monsters around the room with a the force gun, cut of their legs with a plasma cutter and then stomp their heads off.

For what it's worth, Dead Space 2 does have one scene that I would count as horrific. You'll know it when you see it.

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
The only time either of the Dead Spaces got scary was when in the sequel,
you had to drive a giant fucking needle into Issac's eye and it made you watch and do it very slowly. Goddamn but that came out of the fucking nowhere. I hate needles and eyes. And this game goes "Oh well then here we'll make you do this then." That's some psychological shit on a really deep level and I couldn't sleep that night. But anyway.
Apart from that, it doesn't scare, it just startles. And that's good enough for me, honestly. I find it's impossible to make a game genuinely scary throughout when you can just pause the game whenever shit gets real and say "Look there it's a game now it's not scary in the slightest."

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Nifarious said:
Yahtzee's an idiot with one conception of horror. Dead Space does what Carpenter's The Thing does: take the human/animal form and contort it to horrible, unimaginable monstrosities. It's visceral, not 'psychological' (scarequotes emphasized). Shock at violence and physical distortion does wan, but never its abjection.

God the petulance that 'critic' breeds on this site is draining.
idarkphoenixi said:
Dead Space WAS scary, just a different type of horror. I know Yahtzee doesn't like it so naturally a lot of people are going to parrot him, but really, I think we'd all be lying if we said we wasn't the least bit drawn into its atmosphere
Jesus fucking Christ, I am terminally sick of people trying to bring out this pathetic bloody argument.

"Oh God! Someone disagrees with me! But surely they cannot possibly disagree with me for legitimate reasons of their own formulation. Wait sec... their argument is similar to something Yahtzee once said! Therefore they must be parroting him because, unlike me, they are feeble minded sheep. QED."

Nifarious, there was nothing abject about the Necromorphs. They're aggressive and violent. The only thing they ever do is attack you. The only ones who appear to be in pain are those things that stick to walls and spawn smaller monsters. Besides, even if they were abject, it would lose any and all impact once you've cheerfully spattered Necromorph #482 across the room.

idarkphoenixi, I can honestly say I wasn't the least bit "drawn into its atmosphere". I cheerfully waltzed through the game, secure and comfortable in the knowledge that no matter what the game threw at me, I would be able to shoot it twice in the left leg, then once in the right arm. Just like I did with the last 500 monsters.

Panken

May 23, 2009
Dead Space isnt as much a scary game as it is an intense game. Some parts made me kind of nervous, but I was not too scared. However, if you do want a scary game play Condemned: Criminal Origins. Its second on my list of "Games that scared the shit out of me."

Number 1 is The Suffering, in case anyone was wondering.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
No_Remainders said:
So, a friend of mine gave me a loan of Dead Space today, and I was wondering when it gets scary.

I mean, I was told that even in the first chapter it would be scary, but so far all I've got are necromorphs occasionally coming out of the walls and then the old cliché of "Oh, it's dead... NO WAIT IT SUDDENLY JUMPS UP AND ATTACKS YOU!"

Seriously? Is this what "scary" is? No. Alan Wake was scary. That did fear in a psychological way and did it well. This? This just tries to throw things at you in a poor attempt at juvenile shock-horror, and it fails.

It's actually bad when a game that is supposed to instil fear ends up becoming predictable to the point of me saying "Well, that necromorph is clearly about to jump up and attack me."
Honestly its how you play things. Hard mode with only the plasma cutter is scary because you will run out of ammo a lot and if a necro comes at you from too close you have no defense. Except flailing like a mental patient. The decon room is downright terrifying to me and the game kept making me go back though it. When there is a room in a game you don't want to go through again they did a good job. That said the reused that room in DS2 and it didn't scare me at all.

Scariest movie of all time for me was "they" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0283632/ until a friend ruined if for me with some comment while I was watching it. Now its just silly to me.

TL;DR: The reason it's not scary is because he is not playing it alone in the dark he has a backseat driver.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
You found Alan Wake scary?! I agree that Dead Space isn't scary, but Alan Wake is even less scary... if that's possible. Anyway, despite not being scary, Dead Space is a fantastic game. I didn't care too much for DS2, though
Broady Brio said:
Condemned: Criminal Origins.

Try that game.
Agreed! Condemned is a fantastic, somewhat underrated, game. But please, please avoid Condemned 2, it's baaad

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
octafish said:
Andrew_Mac said:
Portal 2. scared the shit out of me!
*cough*
No, dead space wasn't scary, and dead space 2 wasn't either. more shocking then scary i thought.
But what games ARE scary? apart from the games that get in your brain (Alan wake) the rest have to resort to the dead space method of, its dead NO ITS NOT RAWR!! I got the the point that i was shooting every corpse on dead space 2, just cos it was instant death for them, instead of waiting for them to get up and attack.
Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a "it's coming, it's coming where am I going to hide" game
Condemned: Criminal Origins is a "Ok so I just killed a couple of hobos with a pipe... wait weren't those mannequins over there before?" game.
and
System Shock 2 is a "Shhhh what was that? Did you hear that? Where is it coming from? Over there? 'Join Usssssssss' Was it up there? 'eeek eeek ook' Run! Run! It's monkeys!" game.
None of these game resort to jump scares, they develop a sense of danger and use audio clues to torment you.
Exactly. Like i said, apart from these sorts of games. These are the best type of horror games. There's 2 types. THESE and jumpy jumpy shock type games. THESE are the best. I wasn't say that only alan wake does this, hell no. It was just the example that came to mind.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
When I had heard that EA was getting complaints about their game being too scary, I had to laugh.
that means that nobody knows what real horror is. Its less about weird aliens and monsters, and more about atmosphere. While Dead Space had a good atmosphere, it locked subtlety and came across as an action game.
don't get me wrong though, it is a pretty fun action game!

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Broady Brio said:
Condemned: Criminal Origins.

Try that game.
I agree with this. I actually like both Condemned games, but the first one takes the cake for me. It's not, to me, as polished as Dead Space, but I believe that it's the better game.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
It's a B-horror style thing like Resident Evil, don't take it seriously just go with it and have fun.