Dead Space

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
So, a friend of mine gave me a loan of Dead Space today, and I was wondering when it gets scary.

I mean, I was told that even in the first chapter it would be scary, but so far all I've got are necromorphs occasionally coming out of the walls and then the old cliché of "Oh, it's dead... NO WAIT IT SUDDENLY JUMPS UP AND ATTACKS YOU!"

Seriously? Is this what "scary" is? No. Alan Wake was scary. That did fear in a psychological way and did it well. This? This just tries to throw things at you in a poor attempt at juvenile shock-horror, and it fails.

It's actually bad when a game that is supposed to instil fear ends up becoming predictable to the point of me saying "Well, that necromorph is clearly about to jump up and attack me."

theonlyblaze2

Aug 20, 2010
I felt the same way about the "Scariest game evar!1!" as my friend put it. I found it to be boring, with some okay jump scares thrown in.

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
Yea, although Dead Space is a great game I wouldn't say it is scary at all. I remember the creepiness of the first Resident Evil and Silent Hill was bounds above.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
I don't tend to see Dead Space as "scary" but more as an "awesome bloodfest".
If you're looking for a horror game might I suggest Amnesia: The Dark Descent?

Trololo Punk

May 14, 2011
Yea, I enjoyed playing it, but, it definitely not scary.
If you are really looking for a scary game that has been released lately, may i recommend Amnesia the dark descent?

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
Though during gameplay Dead Space never scared me, it did get to me at the end just when I let my guard down. As I don't want to spoiler anything and I forgot how to use those click to show things i'll just leave it at that.

Dec 14, 2009
Like others have said, Dead Space isn't really about fear, and more about surprise 'HOLYFUCKIN'GSHITGOTTASHOOTTHATTHINGSARMSOFF' moments.

Not scary, but both the the original and sequal are still both terrific games.

More Aliens, than Alien.

Pariah87

Jul 9, 2009
It has some good jump shocks, I say shocks because they wern't scary as such, simply a "Whoah fuck where did that come from" moment. Also some pretty cool setpieces.

Sadly I found it so repetitive I stopped playing at the penultimate level and just don't have the desire to start again.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
If you want psycological scares, go for Amnesia Dark descent, it's much more of a "Crap i hear a monster, hide! oh crap i think he's behind me! Run!" rather than how yahtzee put it: a "bloogy woogy woo" game.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
It's scary to some people... but yeah, Dead Space (1 & 2) aren't horror games.

Last game to really make me cringe was Amnesia

jyork89

Jun 29, 2010
No_Remainders said:
Alan Wake was scary. That did fear in a psychological way and did it well.
Alan Wake was scary? I honestly beg to differ. A great game and occasionally unsettling no doubt. But I didn't really consider it scary. It suffered from the same issue of Dead Space in once the enemies appear, they are appearing so often that you have no time to build up tension. In saying that I still thought Alan Wake was a brilliant game :)

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Dead space isn't scary. Luckily the developer realized that and fixed that in the sequel by not trying to make it scary. Dead space is atmospheric with creepy noises and dark spaces that can creep people out but the monsters aren't scary. As a matter of fact near the end the atmosphere goes away and the game becomes a monster killing simulator in fairly well lit environments.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Whenever I think about Dead Space I think about Randy saying "I'm so startled!" with the infra-red camera setting on, the lens focused on his startled face.

Leoofmoon

Aug 14, 2008
SecretNegative said:
Nuuu said:
If you want psycological scares, go for Amnesia Dark descent, it's much more of a "Crap i hear a monster, hide! oh crap i think he's behind me! Run!" rather than how yahtzee put it: a "bloogy woogy woo" game.
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that Yahtzee said that Dead Space and Doom 3 were the "abloogy woogly woo!" games while Amnesia actually scared him.
no they where the monsters they jump out of closets going "babogey wogey woo" and fight over screen time, he sed the game was good because you never see the monster so hearing it makes you the most scared rather then never seeing it, to me there last game was better because they added music in there newist, if you ever play a game haveing a constent music note calms you, haveing nothing is jaring

SplashyAxis

May 1, 2010
Dead Space does fail at producing decent scares (for me at least) but I do admit both Dead Space games have a fantastic sense of a tense and creepy atmosphere. I think you play it expecting it to be less scary than it is you'd enjoy it more.

Broady Brio said:
Condemned: Criminal Origins.

Try that game.
THIS! It's just a brilliant game, it has one of the scariest levels I think I've ever played. If at all possible, play it with the lights off and the volume up.

F.E.A.R isn't a bad game to look into either. Not the scariest game you'll ever play, but it's got some decent moments that are worth playing for.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Playing at night, alone, with the lights off helps.

But yes, I know what you mean. Whole game goes like this:

1. Follow your holographic guide through some serious rusty filth towards your next destination, wondering idly if anyone in the history of space has ever cleaned a single square inch of this ship, or replaced a single light bulb.
2. Hear a morph in the ventilation. Ooh, creepy!
3. Continue what you were doing.
4. Morph jumps out from some random location, gurgles what I'm pretty sure is, "Be with you in a minute" in Zombese, then begins shuffling in your general direction.
6. Raise weapon, take careful aim (you have plenty of time, after all), blow its limbs off.
7. Take any loot. Return to 1.

It gets harder in places, and the zero-G sequences deserve mention, but overall that's it. I enjoyed the game but I've played scarier.

I think part of the problem is we're so jaded from decades of horror entertainment. Axe-wielding maniacs, mouth-humping chest-bursting xenomorphs with acid blood, giant bugs, zombies, every sort of bloody psychotic vision imaginable, we've seen it all. It just ceases to be scary after a while.