Dead Space

Leoofmoon

Aug 14, 2008
SplashyAxis said:
Dead Space does fail at producing decent scares (for me at least) but I do admit both Dead Space games have a fantastic sense of a tense and creepy atmosphere. I think you play it expecting it to be less scary than it is you'd enjoy it more.

Broady Brio said:
Condemned: Criminal Origins.

Try that game.
THIS! It's just a brilliant game, it has one of the scariest levels I think I've ever played. If at all possible, play it with the lights off and the volume up.

F.E.A.R isn't a bad game to look into either. Not the scariest game you'll ever play, but it's got some decent moments that are worth playing for.
Well F.E.A.R. is more of a action game to where it slows stuff down for scarey moments but then gos back into action
Dead Space yes it has scarey areas but nothing more then that, the game is a action shooter becely

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I didn't find Dead Spce scary, but I did very much appreciate how polished the game was and the actual graphics of the loocations.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Your friend clearly haven't played Amnesia yet. He will shit bricks. I sure did.

I liked Dead Space and it was quite fun and it had me at the edge of my seat the first few levels, but half-way through the game, after the 1000th "dead necromorph suddendly is alive" jump, it's just not that scary anymore.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Johnny Impact said:
Playing at night, alone, with the lights off helps.
It got dark surprisingly early and I forgot to turn my lights off. It really didn't make a difference. And I use headphones and I always have the sound higher than it should be anyway.

Though I might mention that one time I walked up behind my brother when he was playing Left 4 Dead in the middle of the night and I tapped the back of his neck really lightly.

JUMPED A MILE!

I just don't get jumpy. I'm too calm.

Dec 14, 2009
ChromaticWolfen said:
When you run out of ammo it gets worse.
I don't know man, running out of ammo (at least on normal difficulty) just made me angry.

"Shit! No ammo! FALCON ENGINEER PAWWWWWWWWNCH!"

Followed by the stomping of necromporh faces.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I'd like to make an analogy.

In 1979 there was a little science fiction horror movie directed by Ridley Scott that you may have heard of. It was called Alien. There was only one monster in the movie, and it managed to stalk and kill most of a starship crew. At the time it was widely regarded as one of the scariest movies ever made, and still to this day pops up from time to time on "top # scariest movies" lists.

Now it's 1986, and James Cameron comes along with the sequel, Aliens. It attempted to keep the same creepy atmosphere as the first movie, but this time there were guys with armor and assault rifles who were gunning down dozens of the monster that the previous movie only had one of. It trivialized the horrifying element of the monster.

Dead Space and Dead Space 2 aren't like Alien (1979). They're like Aliens (1986). The two games aren't Sci-Fi/Horror, they're Sci-Fi/Action with Horror elements.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
I played DS1 on PC and I found the first couple of chapters to be scary, this was because I was playing alone and at night with earphones on and at max graphical settings so the immersion was higher for me than someone playing the game on the living room TV while sat on the sofa with the family coming and going.

That been said the scariness quickly wore off after I had gotten used to the jumping out of the closet scares that the game over relied on. This didnt really mattr though as the game was a solid shooter in its own right

Dec 14, 2009
Tuesday Night Fever said:
I'd like to make an analogy.

In 1979 there was a little science fiction horror movie directed by Ridley Scott that you may have heard of. It was called Alien. There was only one monster in the movie, and it managed to stalk and kill most of a starship crew. At the time it was widely regarded as one of the scariest movies ever made, and still to this day pops up from time to time on "top # scariest movies" lists.

Now it's 1986, and James Cameron comes along with the sequel, Aliens. It attempted to keep the same creepy atmosphere as the first movie, but this time there were guys with armor and assault rifles who were gunning down dozens of the monster that the previous movie only had one of. It trivialized the horrifying element of the monster.

Dead Space and Dead Space 2 aren't like Alien (1979). They're like Aliens (1986). The two games aren't Sci-Fi/Horror, they're Sci-Fi/Action with Horror elements.
Go to post number 9.
I apologise.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Dead Space WAS scary, just a different type of horror. I know Yahtzee doesn't like it so naturally a lot of people are going to parrot him, but really, I think we'd all be lying if we said we wasn't the least bit drawn into its atmosphere

OutforEC

Professional Amateur
Jul 20, 2010
I didn't think the game was even close to "scariest game ever!". From my recollection, the scariest thing about Dead Space was the camera.

alfawx

Nov 1, 2010
No_Remainders said:
So, a friend of mine gave me a loan of Dead Space today, and I was wondering when it gets scary.

I mean, I was told that even in the first chapter it would be scary, but so far all I've got are necromorphs occasionally coming out of the walls and then the old cliché of "Oh, it's dead... NO WAIT IT SUDDENLY JUMPS UP AND ATTACKS YOU!"

Seriously? Is this what "scary" is? No. Alan Wake was scary. That did fear in a psychological way and did it well. This? This just tries to throw things at you in a poor attempt at juvenile shock-horror, and it fails.

It's actually bad when a game that is supposed to instil fear ends up becoming predictable to the point of me saying "Well, that necromorph is clearly about to jump up and attack me."
Personally, I don't really think it ever does. I just like it for its gameplay. Honestly, though, I'm surprised you found Alan Wake scary, I was actually more scared of Dead Space. I mean it was a good game, but it was really just running around a forest with silhouettes attacking you. If you want some great psychological horror, try Silent Hill 2 or 3. If you're into action-y horror, try Condemned.

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
So true. I wasn't even abloogiewoogiewooed by surprise, kept whistling the whole game long. The cutting off limbs is pretty fun, but all in all one boring game.

idarkphoenixi said:
Dead Space WAS scary, just a different type of horror. I know Yahtzee doesn't like it so naturally a lot of people are going to parrot him, but really, I think we'd all be lying if we said we wasn't the least bit drawn into its atmosphere
Particularly the lack of atmosphere is painful. My opinion, but still, I'm a great horror fan and Dead Space is just some old films thrown together and like paint, it just turns to brown muck.

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
Portal 2. scared the shit out of me!
*cough*
No, dead space wasn't scary, and dead space 2 wasn't either. more shocking then scary i thought.
But what games ARE scary? apart from the games that get in your brain (Alan wake) the rest have to resort to the dead space method of, its dead NO ITS NOT RAWR!! I got the the point that i was shooting every corpse on dead space 2, just cos it was instant death for them, instead of waiting for them to get up and attack.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
dead space is not a horror game.
dead space is a shooter without cover where some enemies jump at you and go BOO!

Nifarious

Mar 15, 2010
Yahtzee's an idiot with one conception of horror. Dead Space does what Carpenter's The Thing does: take the human/animal form and contort it to horrible, unimaginable monstrosities. It's visceral, not 'psychological' (scarequotes emphasized). Shock at violence and physical distortion does wan, but never its abjection.

God the petulance that 'critic' breeds on this site is draining.