Deadpool 2 - Spoilers territory

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I had fun, and it was a nice irreverent change of pace from the usual MCU fare that I've been seeing lately. Even the more comedic entries like GoTG or Ragnarok pale in comparison to both Deadpool films. The landing sequence was the highlight of the film, and although some of the jokes fell flat for me, it still felt like a good time with a reasonably easy pace and a relative lightness of tone. You can only see so many films about the world getting genocided before it becomes boring, so it was nice to see a more down to earth, B-grade plot that was just about a dude wanting to fuck his girlfriend again by saving a fat kid.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Wow, tough crowd in here...

I adored it. I loved it just as much as Deadpool (and I adored Deadpool [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.934544-tippy2k2-tells-you-what-to-think-Deadpool]).

Really, the only mild complaint I would have is that the movie does take a bit of time to pick up in that kind of beginning-middle (basically from the Xmen Mansion to the prison before Cable shows up) but other than that, I really enjoyed it. The action was great, the movie was hilarious, and overall was just great. I would have called it pretty on PAR with the first Deadpool movie until that end credit sequence, which might be enough to edge Deadpool 2 to be the better movie for me.

I haven't reviewed a movie since January as I've gotten kind of bored with reviewing (I generally don't review a movie unless I really like it or if I feel like it's new enough that people might actually read it) but I will likely review this movie.

EDIT: I did indeed review it if anyone cares. I do always stay away from spoilers though so you're likely to get a better conversation in this thread about it then in my review...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.1055455-tippy2k2-tells-you-what-to-think-Deadpool-2

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Laggyteabag said:
I... didn't really care for it.

I found that about 50% of the jokes fell flat, and I didn't really care too much for the plot - mostly because the kid annoyed me immensely.

It wasn't all bad, though. Ryan Reynolds gave it his all, Josh Brolin was really good as Cable, and Zazie Beetz's Domino really stole the show for me. I also really enjoyed the expectation subversion of the whole X-Force thing. Oh, and the post-credits scenes were easily the best parts of the film.

Overall, i'd give it a 6/10.
Yup, a solid 6/10 from me as well.
Also I'm not sure how you "spoil" Deadpool. Everything's played for laughs in this movie. Nothing matters, nothing sticks.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
tippy2k2 said:

I adored it. I loved it just as much as Deadpool (and I adored Deadpool [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.934544-tippy2k2-tells-you-what-to-think-Deadpool]).

Really, the only mild complaint I would have is that the movie does take a bit of time to pick up in that kind of beginning-middle (basically from the Xmen Mansion to the prison before Cable shows up) but other than that, I really enjoyed it. The action was great, the movie was hilarious, and overall was just great. I would have called it pretty on PAR with the first Deadpool movie until that end credit sequence, which might be enough to edge Deadpool 2 to be the better movie for me.

I haven't reviewed a movie since January as I've gotten kind of bored with reviewing (I generally don't review a movie unless I really like it or if I feel like it's new enough that people might actually read it) but I will likely review this movie.
I mean, does The Escapist community ever react positively to mainstream, big production stuff? It's generally pretty cliche about being significantly slanted towards being cynical and negative towards anything and everything...

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Elijin said:
tippy2k2 said:

I mean, does The Escapist community ever react positively to mainstream, big production stuff? It's generally pretty cliche about being significantly slanted towards being cynical and negative towards anything and everything...
Always with the extremes. If you don't like Deadpool 2 you're a joyless contrarian.
I'd argue Infinity War, Deadpool 2 and Solo (for example) are cynical themselves. And that says nothing about my opinion on other "mainstream, big production stuff".

Dec 10, 2012
I'm with tippy, I love both Deadpool movies. The first one is just fun, and the second one is fun plus more and better action. I do kind of have a problem with fridging Vanessa, but I also knew that was going to happen. What else were they going to do with her?

But if anything, DP2 is even funnier than the first. When watching comedies I don't often experience sustained, hysterical laughter, even when something is really funny, but there were a few times here when I couldn't stop laughing. That's more than I can ask from any movie, especially what is nominally an action movie, so this gets a thumbs up.

Domino is great, Cable is great, long live the X-Force.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
TheVampwizimp said:
I'm with tippy, I love both Deadpool movies. The first one is just fun, and the second one is fun plus more and better action. I do kind of have a problem with fridging Vanessa, but I also knew that was going to happen. What else were they going to do with her?

But if anything, DP2 is even funnier than the first. When watching comedies I don't often experience sustained, hysterical laughter, even when something is really funny, but there were a few times here when I couldn't stop laughing. That's more than I can ask from any movie, especially what is nominally an action movie, so this gets a thumbs up.

Domino is great, Cable is great, long live the X-Force.
I agree with you agreeing with me!

The entire sequence with The X-Force was basically one giant gut laugh from me. Watching them all land in comically deadly ways was a freaking riot. Follow it up with an absolutely awesome action sequence (Domino's powers steal that scene and I loved the way they pulled that off) and that sequence alone made it worth the price of admission.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
I liked the sequel more than I did the original, which is faint praise. In my experience Deadpool wears out his welcome within the first hour. That kind of j/k humor is really exhausting in a two hour feature length movie. Was it even two hours? It felt long.

My main beef with these movies is the same as with Suicide Squad: they're supposed to be irreverent takes on an established formula but in the end they always play out more or less like the thing they're supposed to be riffing on. Both end with a heroic battle to save the world and then the characters walk away in a chummy group shot spouting lessons about family, for crying out loud.

Also - a lot of the jokes are only funny once, then get dragged out two or three more times. All the wink wink nudge nudge about Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds, for example. That tiresome "Hi Yukio!". I wish the movie stayed on that surreal note that certain scenes achieve, like the whole X-Force sequence.

As for the girlfriend:

Is she dead for realsies or does the mid-credits scene where Deadpool goes around reviving the dead supposed to be taken as canon?
Deadpool doesn't save the world in his movies, yeah sure Russel killed Cable's family but its not really a "Bad Future"

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
PapaGreg096 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I liked the sequel more than I did the original, which is faint praise. In my experience Deadpool wears out his welcome within the first hour. That kind of j/k humor is really exhausting in a two hour feature length movie. Was it even two hours? It felt long.

My main beef with these movies is the same as with Suicide Squad: they're supposed to be irreverent takes on an established formula but in the end they always play out more or less like the thing they're supposed to be riffing on. Both end with a heroic battle to save the world and then the characters walk away in a chummy group shot spouting lessons about family, for crying out loud.

Also - a lot of the jokes are only funny once, then get dragged out two or three more times. All the wink wink nudge nudge about Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds, for example. That tiresome "Hi Yukio!". I wish the movie stayed on that surreal note that certain scenes achieve, like the whole X-Force sequence.

As for the girlfriend:

Is she dead for realsies or does the mid-credits scene where Deadpool goes around reviving the dead supposed to be taken as canon?
Deadpool doesn't save the world in his movies, yeah sure Russel killed Cable's family but its not really a "Bad Future"
There was an unspoken element hinted at in the future scenes that super murder-y mutants like Russel lead to a pretty anti-mutant, sentinel heavy, war torn future.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
PapaGreg096 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

As for the girlfriend:

Like Elijin mentioned, it goes without saying that they're preventing a quasi apocalyptic future. It's not just saving Cable's family, the future scenes make it clear Russell's a tyrannical mass murderer.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

As for the girlfriend:

Like Elijin mentioned, it goes without saying that they're preventing a quasi apocalyptic future. It's not just saving Cable's family, the future scenes make it clear Russell's a tyrannical mass murderer.
But not a guy who started the apocalypse just someone who personally killed lots of people and if Cable wanted to he could've killed adult Russel before he killed his family

Elijin said:
There was an unspoken element hinted at in the future scenes that super murder-y mutants like Russel lead to a pretty anti-mutant, sentinel heavy, war torn future.
So that basically means there are more people like Russel, again not really big in scale as say a portal in the sky

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I mean, who knows about all the different mutant timelines at this point? The Sentinel timeline was prevented which supposedly followed the timeline of the original trilogy of movies(?). Then there is the Logan future which maybe follows the "good" timeline in which Apocalypse was stopped in the 80s(?) And that's the same timeline Deadpool's in. Also Days of Future past wiped out X-Men Origins: Wolverine... right? Though at least it's dead after this one for sure.

I found the evil orphanage cliche the most ridiculous one out of them all actually... well, maybe a tie with "your heart is in the right place". And that's on top of the prison stuff and fridge wife.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
PapaGreg096 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

As for the girlfriend:

But not a guy who started the apocalypse just someone who personally killed lots of people and if Cable wanted to he could've killed adult Russel before he killed his family

Elijin said:
So that basically means there are more people like Russel, again not really big in scale as say a portal in the sky
Not as big scale as sky portal but definitely save the world territory. Cable's flashbacks have a distinct post-apocalyptic tone to them.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

As for the girlfriend:

Elijin said:
Not as big scale as sky portal but definitely save the world territory. Cable's flashbacks have a distinct post-apocalyptic tone to them.
Russel just killed a lot of people, thats it everything else must have been something else because I don't remember the film mentioning that Russel himself created the post apocalyptic future.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Cable specifically blames Deadpool's generation for fucking up the world, not Russel. And he states his intentions at the end to stick around to prevent those fuck ups that leads to the world going to hell, which is as clear an indication as you can get that Russel's redemption doesn't change the world's fate. The film's scope is bigger than the first Deadpool, but definitely way smaller and more personal than any of the other superhero films in between except for Spider-Man.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Geez, I knew I took too long to see the movie, but I did not realize it was THAT long!

Whatever, I saw it last night...

I fucking loved it! The Deadpool movies are pretty much everything I want in a movie. I mean, the movie basically panders to me as a nerd and Marvel fan though, but I don't care.

I also like technically good Deadpool honestly. Sure he is not -too- bothered by collateral damage, but I do prefer him ultimately wanting to do good, even if it is vulgar and dirty, as opposed to him jumping between good and evil for the hell of it.

Also apparently the time travel stuff at the end is canon, so Vanessa is alive now as is Peter! (yay), and Ryan Reynolds is dead.

Also also, I think Deadpool getting covered in ash at the end was a sneaky way for them to throw in Deadpool's X-Force costume.

Also also also apparently they had planned for a Chris Evans as the Human Torch cameo...I wish it happened...I love Chris Evans and that shit would have killed me!

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
I've seen Deadpool 2 twice now and loved it both times. I'm only disappointed I couldn't find my Deadpool disc to watch the original movie before seeing it (moved recently and stuff is still all over the place). For me, the jokes always landed, the action was great, and I felt that this movie had more heart than the original, putting it slightly above that one in overall quality.

I know Reynolds has said that he thinks Deadpool is probably done as a stand-alone series, but sees the character working in a group movie (apparently there is an X-Force film in the works). Anything that brings more Deadpool is welcome for me.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Silentpony said:
Like you know how when you cut the head off a chicken its at least a little funny to watch it run around in dying spasms before your shame and guilt kick in?
No?What kind of childhood did you have?!?

OT: I thought it was bad. I love deadpool as a character but they aren't really doing him justice. The entired movie plot/scenerio was just horrible. Some of the jokes were okay, most were bad, 1 or 2 were actually funny ( the empty mansion and the credits).

It's really feels like the writters think they know what makes deadpool awesome and completely misses the mark.

Now i can only hope for a decent Punisher movie.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
TheVampwizimp said:
Reveal her to be Vanessa Carlysle aka the mutant known as Copycat, who was a pretty big part of the Deadpool comics for a while.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
votemarvel said:
TheVampwizimp said:
Reveal her to be Vanessa Carlysle aka the mutant known as Copycat, who was a pretty big part of the Deadpool comics for a while.
Thing is, she IS Vanessa Carlysle, but the movie completely removed the mutant powers, only keeping the prostitute origin.