Deadpool Director to Helm Sonic The Hedgehog Movie

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Are they hoping to break the curse by switching mediums? Because that's the closest thing to a rational reason to make this I can think of.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
BLUUUUURG, cgi/live action.

Sonic already doesn't have an overall plot for any of his media. Seriously, like each one of his everything takes place in its own universe.

I still don't get why Sonic has a fanbase, but then again I wasn't a fan of his original games either. The only thing I can see that really makes him stand out is the art style, nothing else looks like sonic. Probably the reason people come up with so many fan characters set in that style.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
I still can't believe Sony is entertaining the idea of a Sonic movie. After Pixels and GmC: Ghostbuster May Cry you'd think they would try to be a littler smarter with the films their funding. This is just way past dumb.

I'll see myself out.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Movies Based On Games: Doomed To Failure.

Family Movies That Mix CGI with Live Action: Doomed To Failure.

Family Movie That Mixes CGI with Live Action And Is Based On A Video Game: how much acid did the studio execs have to do in order to greenlight this?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Tim Miller, the director of Deadpool, recently left the set of Deadpool 2 citing creative differences with actor Ryan Reynolds [http://www.indiewire.com/2016/10/deadpool-2-director-leaves-film-creative-differences-ryan-reynolds-1201739392/].
Ruh-Roh, Raggy.

I don't give a mouse fart in a hurricane about a Sonic movie, one way or another (and didn't Sony learn anything after Ratchet & Clank...?), but I'm not liking the sound of creative disconnect on Deadpool 2. I know the word is that Reynolds provided a significant amount of the impetus behind the thing getting made in the first place, but that doesn't make his being at cross purposes with his director a good sign.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
RJ 17 said:

Family Movie That Mixes CGI with Live Action And Is Based On A Video Game: how much acid did the studio execs have to do in order to greenlight this?
It worked for Pixels, right?

...right?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
RJ 17 said:

Maybe theyre hoping that it will turn into a double negative equation and come out with a massive positive.

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
"Sony's plan is to make a hybrid CG-animated/live-action comedy family film."

"Family film"?

So no real drama or danger and plenty of hack pop culture references and squeaky voice side characters. Oh, god no.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
gigastar said:
RJ 17 said:

Maybe theyre hoping that it will turn into a double negative equation and come out with a massive positive.
The only way this could turn into a positive is if the screenplay was written by whoever the genius is that's making the posts for the official Sonic twitter account.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
ShakerSilver said:
RJ 17 said:

...right?
Okay, would someone mind telling me what was actually wrong with Pixels? Outside of Josh Gad's character, I quite liked the film.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
A movie by Sony Pictures based on a video game franchise (one with a mascot that's the laughingstock of the internet, no less) that's both CGI-animated AND live action?!

I'm almost looking forward to it now, just to see how badly they fuck this up.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Jesus, how bad were the creative differences that Tim thought THIS movie idea was better? Holy crap, what's more terrifying the direction Deadpool 2 seems to be aimed at, or this coming train disaster?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
RJ 17 said:
gigastar said:
RJ 17 said:

The only way this could turn into a positive is if the screenplay was written by whoever the genius is that's making the posts for the official Sonic twitter account.
Sadly i doubt even that genius can apply itself to a screenplay of a 90+ minuite film.

But hey, at least its not Uwe Boll.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
So quick to rage or dislike the idea. I believe this can work. After all, perhaps he can make Shadow likable to anew audience? =D

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Transdude1996 said:
ShakerSilver said:
RJ 17 said:

...right?
Okay, would someone mind telling me what was actually wrong with Pixels? Outside of Josh Gad's character, I quite liked the film.
It was a Adam Sandler film. I mean, thats why people say its bad. I too liked it. Was no masterpiece of film, but it felt like Sandler actually tried something interesting, if a bit silly.

Though I dont want a Sonic film that is actually Sonic as a video game character. This might have worked in the 90's with Sonic and his cast ending up in the real world with some kid...

...it hit me I basically described Sonic X.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
As a former member of the Sonic fandom from a time before said fandom was filled with nothing but artists on Deviant Art and FurAffinity drawing recolors that screw each others brains out, there is still some part of me that hopes the franchise can be redeemed. It is quite sad when the best Sonic can do now is "this one doesn't suck!"

I have a suspicion that this movie won't fall into that category, or any better category for that matter. Live-action combined with CG? I'm sorry, but the Sonic characters are just way too colorful for something like that.