Deadpool Will Get His Own Movie, Starring Ryan Reynolds

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Reynolds can do ok humour, but this is the smack tackiest character in all of superhero history he is suppose to portray... ok humour is far from good enough for the role. I know marketing execs have an easy time when going middle of the road because that can be sold to all age groups, but that isn't a solid representation of the character.

On the other hand I just realized that with the gender wars going on a legit Deadpool would get burned at the stake, so they probably don't even have a choice at this point but to make him politically correct.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
get the Cheetos, Chimichangas, and Fresca ready. And if they actually let Reynolds be witty and have fun then he can be GREAT. Poor bastard needs a break too considering how he's had a string of bad luck with these kind of films.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
I actually think Reynolds did a a great job of the tiny slice of an actual Deadpool in ...shudders....Origins. They did a fantastic job on screwing everyone up in that mess of a movie, from Sabretooth to my man Gambit (see avatar). With a good script and director, this could be really cool. Cautiously optimistic here.

Also, if anyone doubts what type of range Reynolds might have, go watch "Buried". One man Reynolds show in a box for 90 minutes, and it succesfully managed to elicit every emotion I have. That takes some decent amount of skill and convincing performance.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Queen Michael said:
008Zulu said:
Reynolds destroyed Deadpool once, he then destroyed Green Lantern. (Don't bother saying he had nothing to do with production, he could have refused the roles after reading the scripts).
Um... That doesn't mean he's the one who wrote the script. What destroyed Deadpool was the guy who actually wrote the scripts.
The script writers might also not be entirely to blame for when a movie goes wrong, script writers from what I understand, don't get paid all that well and there's a lot of people screaming at them over their shoulder to change this or that for "reasons". Even if the script was incredible in the beginning, it could end up complete and total shit by the final draft assuming the script is even mostly followed when the film gets made.

Some movies also have multiple script writers who are forced to collaborate with each other (or worse just outright edit each other's work without any collaboration). Even actors have their own personal script writers to ensure what is getting said sounds like something the actor would actually say.

For all we know the script writer for XMen: Origins could have been a die hard Deadpool fan and wrote him spectacularly and the producer forced them to change it at the end because "Wouldn't it be ironic if this character who never shuts up got shut up!" and the script writer goes "Uhh but..." and sighs heavily and does it anyway because they'd rather not get fired.

Khrowley

Feb 4, 2012
I dunno; after watching the test footage it felt like Ryan Reynolds was just playing Van Wilder cosplaying as Deadpool. Sure he was wise-cracking the whole time but it was a little too quiet if that makes sense to anyone else. He needs to be a little more loud and I need to see just how obnoxious Reynolds is going to be.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I don't know if it's something that can be legitimately pulled off without sounding lazy or too obvious for the sake of fan-service, but I imagine the process of retconning Origins is going to be strictly based on 4th-wall breaking: they play the climax scene from Origins, Deadpool interrupts and pauses the clip to step in front of the screen then literally rewinds the movie, probably making some dopey comments in between, ("Yeesh, was I always that fat? Mediocre cgi DOES add ten pounds!"), stops at a point he's happy with, steps offscreen, film begins proper.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
While this could make for a fine film, I'll probably wait to see what Red Letter Media says about it when it comes out.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So is this a live action film? Or is it going to be the animated one we saw the leak for a while back?

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
As long as they make it more like the comics and not screw it up like they did with Wolverine Origins... then we're good. (crosses fingers)

Sep 14, 2009
shiajun said:
I actually think Reynolds did a a great job of the tiny slice of an actual Deadpool in ...shudders....Origins. They did a fantastic job on screwing everyone up in that mess of a movie, from Sabretooth to my man Gambit (see avatar). With a good script and director, this could be really cool. Cautiously optimistic here.

agreed, that movie had lots of great characters, and they were butchered one way or another :/

Also, if anyone doubts what type of range Reynolds might have, go watch "Buried". One man Reynolds show in a box for 90 minutes, and it succesfully managed to elicit every emotion I have. That takes some decent amount of skill and convincing performance.
god dammit, you just had to remind me of that awesome movie, had my butthole puckered right up until the end, I was amazed at how immersed I was in the movie when it's literally a one man show.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Why can't he be the white vampire hunter from Blade again? I really like the way he jobbed to HHH.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
CrazyGirl17 said:
As long as they make it more like the comics and not screw it up like they did with Wolverine Origins... then we're good. (crosses fingers)
Ryan Reynolds Superhero movies have never ever been good. Deadpool from Wolverine and Green lantern were both massive disappointments. But Reynolds himself needs this to succeed for him to be considered a natural leading man since almost all his recent movies across the board have been flops, so I imagine he himself will at least be trying.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
So is this a live action film? Or is it going to be the animated one we saw the leak for a while back?
That clip was done as a "proof of concept" and the project was intended to be live action the whole time.

bdcjacko said:
Why can't he be the white vampire hunter from Blade again? I really like the way he jobbed to HHH.
Triple H cut off his hair and lost his power in Hollywood.

Scorpid said:
Ryan Reynolds Superhero movies have never ever been good. Deadpool from Wolverine and Green lantern were both massive disappointments.
The five minutes of Deadpool we got in Origins was fine. It was the movie that was ass.

And Green Lantern...well, Jesus coming back from the dead and fulfilling prophecy couldn't make that movie work.

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
To me Reynolds was the only bright spot in Origins. As Wade he did fine, but Barakapool is not his fault. He had no lines for crap sake, and he wasn't a writer, or a producer for that crap. Hugh fucking Jackman was...... He should of known better. But hey, here's Deadpool making waffles to make my anger better.

PS I really want this movie to be good. If I recall correctly thought it will be PG13 and not R like it should be. Bummer. MUST LOOK AT WAFFLES!!

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Man, he's been trying to get this movie since the late 90s... Good for him.

On the other hand, I wish he'd gotten it earlier. Kelly's Deadpool was awesome, post FabNic Deadpool is... Ugh...

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Trishbot said:
Also, I read the leaked script once. It's GLORIOUS and thoroughly dismantles the Origins appearance in one quick, amazing stroke.
You've seen what Fox have planned for Fantastic Four? You really think they will do Deadpool justice? And you actually think they will use the leaked script?

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Lizmichi said:
PS I really want this movie to be good. If I recall correctly thought it will be PG13 and not R like it should be. Bummer. MUST LOOK AT WAFFLES!!
I really, REALLY hope Fox rescinds that type of policy, because Deadpool is inherently R-rated, and is exactly what would attract both fans and newbies alike. That five-minute video showed it well-enough.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
008Zulu said:
Trishbot said:
Also, I read the leaked script once. It's GLORIOUS and thoroughly dismantles the Origins appearance in one quick, amazing stroke.
You've seen what Fox have planned for Fantastic Four? You really think they will do Deadpool justice? And you actually think they will use the leaked script?
And a good Deadpool movie would outright make fun of the Fantastic Four situation. The script I read totally demolished Fox for the choices in Origins.

I don't see why they wouldn't use the leaked script. The footage that leaked earlier was also directly from the leaked script, and everything the script had would still work beautifully except for one single dated Amy Winehouse joke (substitute Lindsay Lohan or Amanda Bynes in there and nothing would be lost).

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Trishbot said:
And a good Deadpool movie would outright make fun of the Fantastic Four situation. The script I read totally demolished Fox for the choices in Origins.

I don't see why they wouldn't use the leaked script. The footage that leaked earlier was also directly from the leaked script, and everything the script had would still work beautifully except for one single dated Amy Winehouse joke (substitute Lindsay Lohan or Amanda Bynes in there and nothing would be lost).
Lohan'd sue.

Perhaps. It depends on how bad it calls Fox out. They might decide to utilize Executive Meddling (It's super effective!) to reduce or even eliminate anything bad.