Dear Escapists: Recommend me a show!

Phoenix09215

Dec 24, 2008
Comedy- The Big Bang Theory... its hilarious! Theres not one person I know who doesn't like it!

Drama- Supernatural. Season 1 isn;t too good but if you give it a chance you won't be dissapointed :)

And finally I'm gonna say Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. Everyone who hasn't seen it will say its bad, but again, there isn't one person I know who after they gave it a chance and watched it (again, season one isn't that impressive, but still good) and they loved it!

Stein Inge

Jun 9, 2009
viranimus said:
Fringe has had two solid seasons.

Although it is a miniseries, Pillars of the earth from stars is done exceptionally well.

Rescue me for the prior seasons as been great, this current one, not so much IMHO.

Got a few others, but cant think at the moment.
Fringe has been pretty great so far!
Rescue Me has passed me by for some reason...

Is "Pillars of The Earth" based on the book by Ken Follet?

YouBecame

May 2, 2010
Flash Forward,
The IT Crowd,
Bones,
Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes,
Skins,
Peep Show,
Spaced,
Green Wing,
Black Books

lots of channel 4 comedy in here it seems. I loved these shows, alongside some aforementioned

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Stein Inge said:
Is "Pillars of The Earth" based on the book by Ken Follet?
Yes, Indeed. I havent read the book, but a friend who has and has been watching the show tells me its fairly faithful to the book.

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
Stein Inge said:
I like this show! But it´s still a sit-com. I want something with a spanning story-arc.

"I´m disabled!"

hehe. Always cracks me up!
"How did you become paralyzed?"

"Acid"

what a show

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Xena & Supernatural are both great shows. Even if they both get a little silly at times.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Doctor Who. It may be due to me being childish, geeky, British or a combination of all three, I love that show.

Good morning blues

Sep 24, 2008
I understand that the OP has seen The Wire, but it really is the best show ever made so it bears repeating.

Battlestar Galactica is always a good one. If we want to get into miniseries, Generation Kill was made by the same people that were behind The Wire and it's at least as good.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Stein Inge said:
Whatever genre! Just no Sit-Coms.
The juxtaposition is jarring.
Also you are missing out on Red Dwarf, but hey.

Anyway, Doctor Who and Torchwood...

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Phoenix09215 said:
Comedy- The Big Bang Theory... its hilarious! Theres not one person I know who doesn't like it!
I don't. I really really don't. It's like a much unfunnier version of the IT crowd to me.

OT: Dexter is pretty good, up till the end of season 2 anyway, I didn't really like season 3.
If you're willing to try anime, then I'd also heartily recommend Full Metal Alchemist, which is my favourite show ever.

Edit: Frick, I just realised you said Dexter in the op. Disregard that then, just watch FMA!

WINDOWCLEAN2

Jan 12, 2009
Band of Brothers.

It is the best show I can possibly recommend.

The stroy of some of the bravest en of WW2.

Heres a Trailer if your interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ehwsOL04og&feature=related

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Screenwipe, Gameswipe, Red Dwarf (Not sure if that counts as sitcom), Doctor Who, Luther, Marion and Geoff, Trigger Happy TV and Im Alan Patridge.

Just listed my favourite shows that arent sitcoms and are british. Hope you enjoy them :D

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
You... you don't have Deadwood on your list... Are you OK? What is wrong with you? See it now.

Stein Inge

Jun 9, 2009
Outright Villainy said:
OT: Dexter is pretty good, up till the end of season 2 anyway, I didn't really like season 3.
I agree that season 3 was a letdown. Season 4 however was brilliant!