Dear Escapists: Recommend me a show!

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo (Really great animes that aren't ridiculous).
Band of Brothers

Stein Inge

Jun 9, 2009
Ahlycks said:
Stein Inge said:
- One piece (my guilty pleasure).
- Death Note (probably the best anime I know of)

So! Gimme!
CODE. GEASS.

one of the best shows out there. if you liked death note i'm pretty sure you will like code geass.
Up to episode 6!
Didn´t include it to the list because I had just started watching and I hadn´t made my mind up yet.

It´s shaping up pretty good though!

Stein Inge

Jun 9, 2009
Korten12 said:
Stein Inge said:
I hope its the sub you were watching, and I was going to recommend that to you. XD
Subs indeed! Can´t stand dubbing of any kind. Have you seen the latest episodes? Epic doesn´t even begin to cover it!

BTW: Is it true that in one american dub of One Piece they´ve censored Sanji´s smokes and replaced them with lollipops?
Might be a rumor spread by evil tongues but it sounds eerily plausible...

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Stein Inge said:
Korten12 said:
Stein Inge said:
I hope its the sub you were watching, and I was going to recommend that to you. XD
Subs indeed! Can´t stand dubbing of any kind. Have you seen the latest episodes? Epic doesn´t even begin to cover it!

BTW: Is it true that in one american dub of One Piece they´ve censored Sanji´s smokes and replaced them with lollipops?
I need to watch them, I always watched the show but when I caught up with it. I couldn't wait to see what happens to I began to read the Manga now I mainly read that and trust me when I say this, it gets epic beyond belief. Sucks oda is taking a 4 week break. :mad: Time to catch up on the anime then.

No that wasn't a rumor it was true... it was scary, its not like that in the dubs anymore (since Funimation took over, which their dub of OP isn't bad but not as good), but the original dubs by 4kids... censored the guns, making them water guns, no blood, no swearing, episodes taken out... It was hell...

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
I, Claudius

Easily the best TV show that depicts the ancient Roman as well as one of the best TV dramas ever made.

Also The Prisoner, if you don't mind the 60's weirdness of it, is a masterpiece.

And Edge of Darkness is a truly briliant miniseries. It's the most cynical, dark thing I've ever seen on TV.

Stein Inge

Jun 9, 2009
Korten12 said:
Stein Inge said:
Korten12 said:
Stein Inge said:

I need to watch them, I always watched the show but when I caught up with it. I couldn't wait to see what happens to I began to read the Manga now I mainly read that and trust me when I say this, it gets epic beyond belief. Sucks oda is taking a 4 week break. :mad: Time to catch up on the anime then.

No that wasn't a rumor it was true... it was scary, its not like that in the dubs anymore (since Funimation took over, which their dub of OP isn't bad but not as good), but the original dubs by 4kids... censored the guns, making them water guns, no blood, no swearing, episodes taken out... It was hell...
Water guns? Seriously?

The manga is, what, 130-140 chapters ahead of the anime? Tried reading it for a while (around the skypia arc) and I just couldn´t get into it. Don´t know why. I got started on the anime and I guess it just stuck.

Water guns?! Wh.. But... WATER GUNS?!?!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mythbusters is the only show I watch any more. Hosted by a semi-psycho pyromaniac, an epic walrus-moustache guy, and three twenty-something apprentices, who attempt to take modern myths (Can you shatter glass by singing at it? Can you own yourself by using the phone in a rainstorm? Is Macgyver full of bull shenanigans? Etc.) and bust/confirm them. If they can't make a myth work under regular conditions, they'll up it to the maximum that they can (Punching someone cannot knock their socks off, but getting hit by a twenty ton truck at 50 mph can).

It's bizarre, silly, and totally awesome. And it's funny to watch Adam get all happy at explosions, or watch Tory taze himself AGAIN.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Now I've thought a bit more I have one more reccomendation:

Wallander, I'm a big fan of detective shows and the best I've come across is the Sweedish Wallander. There was a British version but it simply wasn't as good. It's an excellent series that is unafraid to go to some very dark places with it's plots.

DerpyDerpyDerp

Mar 27, 2009
If you loved Carnivale and The Wire (which everyone should) you would absolutely love Deadwood. It is the greatest.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
I've got yet another reccomendation. If you like documentaries (or just have any interest in the Second World War) then watch The World at War, I consider it the definitive WW2 documentary, others may be good but it's the baseline of comparison. It's done almost purely using archived footage and interviews with the people who were actually there. And to top it off it's all narrated by Laurence Olivier, so what more could you want?

dlawnro

Jul 2, 2010
Burn Notice
Lie to Me
Sons of Anarchy
Justified:Kentucky-born US Marshal returns to his hometown to deal with borderline-psychotic redneck drug dealers. And kick major amounts of ass.
Criminal Minds
Flashpoint:Canadians (the surrogate-American kind) in a strategic response unit encounter people in hostage situations who are (in my opinion) some of the most human and well-written characters, especially considering they're all one-time-use.

Stein Inge

Jun 9, 2009
Axolotl said:
Now I've thought a bit more I have one more reccomendation:

Wallander, I'm a big fan of detective shows and the best I've come across is the Sweedish Wallander. There was a British version but it simply wasn't as good. It's an excellent series that is unafraid to go to some very dark places with it's plots.
Aahh, yes! this is a great show. I´m norwegian so this show pops up quite a lot on the telly! The swedes really know how to do proper thrillers.

BTW, have you seen the recent swedish vampire movie? Don´t really know what it called in english... "Let the right one come in" or something like that. While we are talking about the swedes taking things to dark places... this one freaked me out just a little....

I Max95

Mar 23, 2009
the mentalist
its my favorite modern sherlock holmes interpretation
and theres been what? three
EDIT: probly plenty more than that

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
dragonslayer32 said:
Either Scrubs (series 1-8), the Big Bang Theory, Family Guy, South Park or Spartacus: Blood and Sand. Those are my favourite shows.
Just wanted to mention to the OP that if you watch Spartacus, you have to watch at least 3 episodes before giving up. The first episode is maybe the worst thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

But, after that it becomes most excellent TV, it had me laughing and jumping around wanting to punch things I was so excited. :)

The end of the first season was an excellent way to go and I can't wait for season 2.