Dear Escapists: Recommend me a show!

GammaZord

Jan 26, 2009
Seeing as you've already experienced The Wire, I say you go the next best thing: Arrested Development.

Give it a couple episodes for the jokes and characters to stick tho!

ars731

Nov 10, 2006
Drama- The Glades -one of my favorite new shows on tv, its an excellent twist on the police show, plus it has some great quotes (its on A&E)

Happy Sock Puppet

Aug 10, 2010
If you haven't seen Firefly, please do so at your earliest convenience.

And by earliest convenience, I mean RIGHT NOW.

Also, Avatar: The Last Airbender. Yes I know it was a kid's show on Nickelodeon, but it is VERY VERY good.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Gotta reccommend Megas XLR. It's a cartoon about a giant robot with a '71 Hemicuda convertible for a head, what's not to love?

superstringz

Jul 6, 2010
Freeman's Mind. Its a hybrid MST3K/Lets Play of Half Life, with the narration being done by a steadily deteriorating mind of Gordon Freeman. Voiced by Ross Scott, of Civil Protection.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Stein Inge said:
ggesh said:
Watch gurren laggan and evangelion.
one piece and death note are nothing compared to these two animes. i made a account just to tell you to watch these shows so watch them sir.
Becareful on evangelion tho it fucks with your head.
Out of the two gurren laggan is the best anime, its also the best i will ever see.

Others animes you might like are fairy tail, and bleach
Well, I pretty much have to now!
I´ve just started on Code Geass but I can multitask!

I kinda like the first story-arc of Bleach but after that it nosedived...
It doesn't get better from there. I hear Naruto being panned and Bleach being praised, but it actually has a far better developed story...(I watch both regularly anyway though, the fights are enjoyable).

But they aren't going head to head on this post. Code Geass is a great choice, as it's Death Note with Mecha. But you already know that. :D

I'm not sure how obscure you like it, so for now give Black Lagoon, Samurai Champloo and Trigun a look. My "try it, don't expect you to love it" is Gundam Wing. Excellent show but heavily political, however there is as much action as there is politics.

ShoopDaToaster

Jun 15, 2010
Watch Jersey Shore.
That is,if you want to be a assholish douchebag who misuses women and has no personality.And you are full of yourself.

Honestly,my mom watches this all the time and it makes me sick to see these people.

/rant

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
A Town Called Eureka
Its been said a few times but its worth mentioning again: Sons of Anarchy
Life on Mars & Ashes to Ashes
...I can't think of any others at the moment.

squballs1234

Jul 9, 2009
Well if you liked Death Note you'll probably like "Code Geass" even if your not a Mech anime fan the plot is still kick ass.

CATS FTW

Mar 21, 2010
Phoenix09215 said:
Comedy- The Big Bang Theory... its hilarious! Theres not one person I know who doesn't like it!

Drama- Supernatural. Season 1 isn;t too good but if you give it a chance you won't be dissapointed :)

And finally I'm gonna say Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. Everyone who hasn't seen it will say its bad, but again, there isn't one person I know who after they gave it a chance and watched it (again, season one isn't that impressive, but still good) and they loved it!
You are goodness.

CATS FTW

Mar 21, 2010
Breaker deGodot said:
Cowboy Bebop - Best anime I've ever seen (26 episodes and a movie)

Bottom - Hilarious British comedy about a pair of perverts, and it's only 18 episodes!

Columbo - excellent detective show from the 70's with hundreds of episodes to choose from

and if you like miniseries, try Jesus of Nazareth. Yeah, yeah, I get it, it's religious, but its easily the best Christian show there is, and the cast is incredible.
Bottom's a great show, my dad is from london and used to watch the actors from the young ones and introduced me to bottom, fantastic.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I personally recommend the following:

Avatar: The Last Airbender - anime-esque-style art in a somewhat eastern-inspired setting, great story and characters.

Megas XLR - Another Anime-style show, mainly humor, parodies the giant robot genre.

Tenga Toppen Gurren Lagann- THE definite giant robot anime, action-packed, filled with awesomenesss.

Samurai Jack - beautifully designed, lots of action, great characterization.

Fullmetal Alchemist - great story and characters, but be warned: there are two versions, I recommend watching the original version first.

Doctor Who - the ur example for British sci-fi shows.

Enjoy!

CATS FTW

Mar 21, 2010
If you like true blood you should check out six feet under, also weeds is pretty awesome.

skywing

Nov 18, 2009
captaincabbage said:
Gotta reccommend Megas XLR. It's a cartoon about a giant robot with a '71 Hemicuda convertible for a head, what's not to love?
Good man.
That show is amazing.

OT: One anime I can think of off the top of my head with a good overarching story and compelling characters is Monster, it was airing on the SciFi channel a while ago, but I think at least most of it is on youtube under the shows tab.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I personally recommend the following:
Megas XLR
Samurai Jack
Tenga Toppen Gurren Lagann
Cowboy Bebop
House
Scrubs
Doctor Who
Fullmetal Alchemist