Dear Everyone: It's All Going to be Okay

Robert Rath

Oct 8, 2010
Dear Everyone: It's All Going to be Okay

Change is hard, but it's also necessary.

Read Full Article

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
A much needed shot of optimism in a sea of worries, and a different perspective worth thinking about. Thank you Robert, it's times like this that remind me why I'm excited to see a new piece from you.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Well, of course there's going to be a lot of bad vibes and bad things happening during a stage of transition.

Apart from the usual horrorshow that is real life (as conveyed by the general news anyway), AAA gaming IS sinking.
But this is not some prophecy of destruction but an arguably overdue phase of the gaming market's cycle.

The current old system of development isn't working very well anymore, and it's time for that to change.

Jason Farquhar

Mar 14, 2013
For once the trouble facing the games industry is of their own making, taking sales for granted and making grandiose decisions with millions upon millions of pounds (dollars) that are normally not for the benefit of the games or the wider gaming community. Always on DRM's, grand cut scenes and expensive voice actors are not going to make anyone buy a bad game. See Jimquisition for the angry rants about it.
It used to be piracy. How many playstations do you know that were not chipped? In my part of the UK, not alot. How many flashed Xbox 360's do you here of? Is the fact you can play a 360 game online but can't when it's a copy?
Sane thinking companies will not blow millions on games and expect six million sales just to break even, they will budget accordingly (thanks again Jim).
The industry will survive, they just need to listen

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Great article and thank you for the reminder : ) All the negative/fail hype, it is easy to do as they are not invested and costs them nothing if they are wrong.

You are also right, games continue to improve as new or refreshed ideas are built upon previous ones, this keeps our beloved hobby going through thick n thin.

Lastly, I think it is great when you mentioned real world examples of the past. How buildings lost though sad at first, end up making room for new buildings and new experiences to happen.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
Thanks a lot for the article. We need an optimistic reminder every now and then. I wonder how much better things would be if we incorporated that attitude of forgiveness not just in discussions about games, but in all facets of life.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Personally, I haven't been worried. I'm almost looking forward to the next big games and movies crash. The air here needs clearing and maybe the crash will take out some of the undead monstrosities hanging around stinking up the place.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Thank you very much. We certainly needed some positive thoughts. At least, this managed to chin me up a bit :)

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Thanks for tipping me off not to read next weeks edition. Nothing personal I am just sick of that game being discussed so I'll pass.

Though I do take issue with one thing in this article. It seems to value change for the sake of change. Not for improvement, but just for changing. If the change happens because of no reason then the change has no value to add. You see that car dealership closed down because it's profits declined or the owner wanted to retire and it was to be replaced with something else that would bring in the money and as such offer jobs and stimulate the local economy.

You see we wouldn't be where we were if there was no improvement brought on by the change. If things change for the worse then we should put our foot down and stop that change. If the 720 wants to change things up by quite literally making gaming itself reliant on the servers and stability of the console manufacturers connection then we should put our foot down, say no and demand a change in the RIGHT direction.

In short we should not blindly want or allow things to change when we do not like the outcome of those changes.

As for the market crashing? I am actually hoping for that. It needs a big fat crash to stir up the industry that has basically reduced itself to one mission statement.

Be like Call of Duty.

FavouredEnemy

Oct 16, 2007
I think the crash in the games industry is just a single part of a wider issue: the economic downturn from 2008 (almost 5 years now) isn't going back up. More and more belt-tightening, as prices for basics like food, housing, electricity, oil all go up. There is less money in the industry. There is less money in every industry. There is less investment and speculation. It's nice to go 'well, there's been economic downturns before, it'll pick up again', but we're facing peak oil: not just that the oil-producing countries have whacked up prices, but that it's actually just starting to tip towards 'running out'. We're potentially even heading into a mini ice age.

To say 'it's all going to be ok' is to dismiss all this, and believe naively that things will get better, because things *always* get better. It's a comforting thought, sure, and I guess it's nice to have those, but it's not grounded in anything.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I've been willing to welcome change to the industry for a while now. Some won't like it, but I know it has to come if it wants to continue living. That might involve Nintendo no longer making consoles, Naughty Dog violating Sony's ownership contract to nab the mature PC audience (and thus court battles debating the distribution rights of owned developers), or even having to challenge Bungie or Infinity Ward to make something new that doesn't use violence as a mechanic to prove their relevancy. It's these kind of changes I'm willing to embrace; it's coming to a situation where the rules that did work in the past are no longer effective, and even worse hurting companies and genres because it's essentially a taboo to break them. An example of such taboos would be allowing users to create private servers in an MMO. Even the word and definition of "video game" has be challenged because of releases that are dubbed "visual novels" or "no-games", as they use the same level interactivity games do.

But yes, I agree - We need to change. Or, at least accept that we need to in order to proceed. Many opportunities missed and still waiting are like low-reaching pieces of fruit; some of it is hanging low enough that those who can reach it without stretching have been too ignorant to take it.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Industries stagnate & need to collapse once in a while

I just hope AAA publishers don't get federal bailouts, which they probably will

RealRed05

Feb 22, 2013
In times like these, it is best to enjoy the little things. Gaming will get better. It will change, but it will get better.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Aww, this made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I wanna go hug someone, can someone give me a hug? ......Ah, fuck it! GROUP HUG! C'MERE GUYS~!

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Yes! Thank you for this article. Let's not focus on the negative, but look for the positive!
And remember:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2hqS_lzNIlU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
EDIT: DAMMIT, how do embed Youtube videos on this thing?!

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Alright, some much needed optimism. So much anger about. I'm not saying we should ignore bad things, but it might be nice to bring some more positivity. Or as Bobby McFerrin would say:

Darth_Payn said:
Like this, just remove the spaces: [ youtube = 2hqS_lzNIlU ]

Captcha: Chocolate cookie
A good start, cookies are great

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
Darth_Payn said:
Yes! Thank you for this article. Let's not focus on the negative, but look for the positive!
And remember:
Fixed that for you;well kind of.