Dear Santa

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
I was all happy and fine then the picture of Kotick showed up and now a blind rage has consumed me. This list however might be the greatest wish list ever. I ask that you please censor all Kotick images.

Elec0

The Master of Fractals
May 29, 2009
Yup, that was a good article. And the poem at the end was pretty sweet too.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
I think I found the problem in your wishes - it seems Santa doesn't deliver on wishes that a lot of people wish for (you might as well add to your list - end cancer, finding world peace etc.). Old Saint Nick just doesn't deliver that often if it's not wrappable in shiny paper.

I guess we can still hope. Happy holidays.

p.s oh, LoganN, I guess your getting coal this year

Jul 22, 2009
Well I'm going to continue to enjoy GFWL until Microsoft remembers it exists and makes it work for everyone.

For Christmas I want a pony :D

Apr 28, 2008
For christmas, I want a fast internet connection. That would make me very, very happy. Since I just came from TF2 after 3 straight games with a ping of 996.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
LoganN said:
Another shit article by Shamus.
Evidently you're far more interesting and articulate.

OT: The Steam one would be nice, but it is really hard to care when I've just bought Bad Company 2 for £6, New Vegas for £15, Torchlight for £3 and the SoT sequels for £2 each.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
It'll make a hard thing to do, a website to rival steam.
Yes n' screw you activision.
Love this guys articles. Your Fallout Vegas review was better though.

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
Shamus Young said:
They're suing rivals, former employees, former business partners. If lil' Bobby gets in a fight at school, you can say maybe the other kid started it. If Bobby gets in ten fights with ten different kids, and if Bobby is the biggest kid in the class, it's a pretty safe bet he's a bully, not the victim.
I'm not the biggest fan of Mr. Young, but this was really well put.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
I don't care how much Santa may ignore me. I will still keep asking him to make DRM go away. It does nothing but harm customers and PC gaming in general.

I don't make it a habit of being cruel, but DRM should go die in a ditch somewhere.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Oh, I'm sure a lump of coal could start a decent enough fire if placed in, say... Bobby Kotick's shoes.

Scout Tactical

Jun 23, 2010
Spot1990 said:
LoganN said:
Another shit article by Shamus.
How... constructive.
To be fair, Shamus has a fairly bland writing style and often adds little to existing discussion, so I can see why people may not like his writing. That said, you also have a valid point: it's pretty out of line to be that blunt about attacking someone, especially when you don't specify what you think is wrong. Nonetheless, I don't think this thread is the time or place for a discussion of the quality (or lack thereof) of Shamus's writing: the fact is that he is a staff writer and he will continue to put out articles, and to discuss the broader subject, as opposed to the one relevant to the topic, would be a bit weird.

That said, Shamus did bring up in interesting topic in one of his 'requests': Steam. The critique Shamus offers is a bit strange: it seems to congratulate Steam on successes at being a quality project while begging for a contender to take it down a notch. It seems a bit irrational to ask for a rival without qualifying that. Of course, that noted, I have personal critiques that Steam is often bulky and slow, and that a rival could encourage Steam to innovate (as per capitalism), but I honestly don't think a new cloud rival would do that: I'm fairly confident Steam is already competing directly with stores, particularly places like GameStop.

But Merry Christmas to everybody, even Shamus, because I can respect the guy for his commitment to the industry even if I don't like his writing.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
The first two sentences really cracked me up. :)

Can we send coal an asteroid to EA too though? In fact, since they're both in the ring right now having a slap-fight over Infinity Ward, just set two douchebag CEOs straight with one (very large) stone.

And yes, DRM bad, making it go away good.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
He's an immortal old man that travels the world delivering gifts to people in one night, not a miracle worker.

Apr 17, 2009
If Santa can't deliver, why not send a letter to the Krampus or Black Peter? Punishment is right up their street and I'm sure they'd be glad of the correspondence

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
RE: A rival to Steam

Yeah I have been using Impulse whenever possible for this reason. Steam still gets some of my money for exclusive content but I will even pay a bit more to support Stardock. Yeah I am that guy.