Deathloop Preview

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So its first person Hotel Miami with a sorta arbitrary 1 Day plot, but not really because all the major targets get their own level and time of day, so it might as well take place over a week for all the 1 Day part actually adds to the gameplay.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hmm, sounds pretty interesting, but I have concerns. I tend to get bored if I feel like I have mastered an area and this seems like it might be vulnerable to that kind of thing which I did a shit job of explaining. I wasn't into Dishonored because of the game punishing you for using its most fun tools but I did really like Prey so I'll keep an eye on this.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ok so I'm more interested in this game now. I wasn't really tracking it, because the trailers made it seem like some kind of multiplayer deathmatch thing like Valarant or Overwatch or whatever, so my interest was at rock bottom.

But knowing it's a single player like Dishonored, which I loved, I will likely check this one out at some point.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I really liked dishonored and think prey 2017 is one of the best game of the last decade but I just can't get excited for deathloop. The basic premise does nothing for me, I really dislike time travel story because there's always a millions things that you should be able to do with time travel that you never can (ie go back 1 hour before a big event to stop it rather than months/years) and the 1 day plot also just feel arbitrary. I'll play it eventually and it's good to know that it plays well but... nah just can't get excited.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I really liked dishonored and think prey 2017 is one of the best game of the last decade but I just can't get excited for deathloop. The basic premise does nothing for me, I really dislike time travel story because there's always a millions things that you should be able to do with time travel that you never can (ie go back 1 hour before a big event to stop it rather than months/years) and the 1 day plot also just feel arbitrary. I'll play it eventually and it's good to know that it plays well but... nah just can't get excited.
Yeah it's hard to implement time travel in any medium and have it hold up well. I think, from a video game perspective, the original Prince of Persia: Sands of Time did it great, especially with how everything was resolved. But, yeah, it can be very messy.

I'm curious enough knowing it's single player to check it out, as I really enjoyed the Dishonored series, as it really gave you a lot of variety on how to proceed. Including a style of challenge that at first seems like it will be hard, but really ends up being super easy. I like how the different powers you got, governed your playstyle.

I think these devs dial into a style of gameplay that I personally really enjoy, so I'm on board for it.

Reactions: BrawlMan