Decent super hero games?

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
inFAMOUS 2 is definitely worth your time and money. Spider-Man 2 as well, if you can find a copy.

I still can't believe no other devs has been able to match the webslinging in that game.
Hell, do any of the other Spider-Man games let you web a goon and then swing them around like a mace?

Although I spend most of my time just slamming the enemies into the ceiling. There's something to be said for a game about a straight-lined superhero that still lets you play like a psychopath.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
What about Freedom Force?

It is totally the balls if you are into rpgs, tactical squad based strategy and silver age comic books and best of all its like £3 on Steam. Only drawback is that it isn't based on any actual comic books, so its just a bunch of made up dudes but you can make up your own dude which is fun if you're into that.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
inFamous is my favorite one of all time.
inFamous 2 is a quality follow-up as well.

Arkham Asylum is great but I'd pass on Arkham City (good, not great).

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Ultimate Spider-Man is probably one of the best superhero games I've played, but it's a little on the short side. Free-play and sides missions fixes that, though. You can play as both Venom and Spider-Man too, which is neat.

Ultimate Marvel Alliance is great. It's more fun with a friend (or four) and pretty lengthy. The sequel isn't as good, but it features more characters and slightly better graphics.

Even though you're not into fighting games, Marvel vs Capcom 2 is pretty great. MvC3 is also pretty good, but some of the characters are pretty broken. Weskers. Weskers everywhere.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction for the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube.

This game surprised the fuck out of me. There had been a number of Hulk games made, but none of them really captured the essence of the Hulk. Until this game came out in 2005 and smashed my low expectations. You can leap over entire buildings, smash entire buildings, throw tanks around like they're pebbles, wrestle with Hulkbusters, suplex and smash said Hulkbusters, grab jets and helicopters out of the sky so you can smash them, and most importantly.

SMASH. EVERYTHING.

There are plenty of challenge missions along the lines of smashing this and that, if you ever tire of the story (which was surprisingly good, all things considered), and in the end, the game is fun yet never too easy. It provides just the right amount of challenge with enough fun and smashing.

So, if you want a good superhero game, get Hulk Ultimate Destruction and you'll have a smashing good time.

Did I mention it has smashing?

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
The Batman Arkham games are sexcellent if you want -the- perfect blend of runny-punchy-platformy-puzzle-solvey.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I am probably one of the few who will suggest Web of Shadows. The story is kind of dumb and the mission structue is repetitive, BUT the combat is the best of any Spider-man game, finally mixing combat and web slinging instead of having them as two separate activities.

And you might as well try out the mmos. There's like what, three of them and they're all F2P. Each one is good for different things though. Champions online really lets you customize your hero, while DCUO has much better travel powers and combat more like an action game than an MMO, and City of Heroes is really the oldest of the bunch and I think has the most overall content though the graphics have not aged well.

Wayneguard said:
From what I've seen of the new spiderman game, it should be really good. It's gotten a fair amount of praise from the critics as well. I particularly like the webslinging; the close-in camera angle gives a great sense of motion. Combat seems ripped right from Arkham Asylum too (good thing).
I thought the reception of it has been that it's a meh game.

chimeracreator

Jun 15, 2009
Definitely Freedom Force if you like squad based strategy games. That said I would advise against making your own heroes because if you do it right they just end up crazy broken, and you don't get the fun of the wonderfully campy banter that the main heroes have.

lukey94

Sep 2, 2008
I'd definitely recommend Spiderman Web of Shadows, that was an awesome game (would recommend it on the PS3)

Other awesome superhero games:
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X-Men Legends (1 and 2)
Batman Arkham Asylum + City
Lego Batman

Dec 14, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
Daystar Clarion said:
inFAMOUS 2 is definitely worth your time and money. Spider-Man 2 as well, if you can find a copy.

I still can't believe no other devs has been able to match the webslinging in that game.
Hell, do any of the other Spider-Man games let you web a goon and then swing them around like a mace?

Although I spend most of my time just slamming the enemies into the ceiling. There's something to be said for a game about a straight-lined superhero that still lets you play like a psychopath.
It's the only one that lets your drag a thug to the top of the Empire State Building and pile drive them all the way back down to earth.

Hardcore thugs too, impossible to kill :D

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Lunar Templar said:
Batman for the NES
Nice to see someone else who likes this one. One warning though, OP, it's Nintendo Hard.

Other decent to good retro games:

- Batman: Return of the Joker (NES, sequel to the first NES game)
- Batman Returns (SNES, if you're into old school beat'em ups)
- The Adventure of Batman & Robin (SNES and/or Genesis, they're different games)
- X-Men and X-Men 2: Clone Wars (Genesis, both hard action platformers with kickass music)
- Phantom 2040 (Genesis/SNES, a more story based metroidvania-like platformer)

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
inFAMOUS 2 is boss. Great story, great gamelay. Great game. 'Nugh said.
Prototype 2 polished up the gameplay and the visual design of everything, but the story suffered a tad. The new guy is better than mercer, but it's only because I found him to be an insufferable git.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
I had a lot of fun with Marvel Nemesis, though I don't think it was well received. Crackdown is kind of a super hero game and it is pretty fun though it is an xbox 360 game. I don't think anyone has mentioned X-Men Legends and I believe their is a pc version though I am not sure. Had a blast with that game. My brother HATES Jubilee so I always put her in my group in case he walked in just to make him mad. It really feels right though. All the xmen you would want and multiplayer which x-men games need in my opinion. I mean its a team, not an individual.

Kind of off topic, but has anyone been paying attention to Marvel Heroes [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Heroes_(video_game)]? I haven't seen anyone mention it on here and that surprises me. Its basically Diablo (with more people from diablo 2 than diablo 3 had from what I understand) but with Marvel superheroes. They are making it an mmo, not sure how that will turn out, but it looks fun to me. Its going to be free too. It has odd character choices in a way, but I think that that is good. They have made a lot of references to Squirrel Girl being in it though I don't think she has been confirmed and they have Rocket Raccoon in addition to the major characters.

Captain Anon

Mar 5, 2012
-both batman Arkham games.
-Marvel ultimate Alliance 1 and 2.
-the amazing spider-man.
-i enjoyed ultimate spider-man even through it was a ***** to beat.
-infamous 1 & 2.
-many gamers don't know this but we have a dc universe offline type of game called Awakened it was originally called "Hero" for the next gens.
-DC Universe Online.
-spider-man 2 and 3.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Well, I see a lot of people pointing out the really big ones. Though, I'm surprised Batman: Arkham Asylum took as long to be mentioned as it did.

Anyway, there were a couple of good Spiderman games on the PlayStation and 64. Might wanna check them out.

And since the inFAMOUS and The Incredible Hulk games, along with Spiderman: Web of Shadows have been mentioned a few times, I would like to think [Prototype] should be allowed a mention, as well. It's even got a sequel. Can you guess what it's called?

"[Prorotype] 2". WRONG! It's "[Prototype 2]"! (Gotta love technicalities!)

On that note... what about Eathworm Jim? He's a superhero... right...?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfb3DF2R3Qg