Dedicated Halo 2 Fans Still Hanging Tough

TimbukTurnip

Jan 3, 2009
Wow. Thats really really sad. Not in a 'aww how sad they're going to have to stop eventually' way, but in a 'jesus christ its just a game and not even a good one at that, get over it already you loners' way.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
josh797 said:
wait im confused. didnt they shut down the xbox live servers? how can they still be playing?
Peer to peer service, doesn't actually use any servers at all, the Xbox is the server.

Armored Prayer said:
I wonder what happens when theres only one left. What will he do?
Win!

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
josh797 said:
XJ-0461 said:
josh797 said:
wait im confused. didnt they shut down the xbox live servers? how can they still be playing?
I'm guessing that they started a game before the servers began to shut down, and have been playing ever since.

So that's some dedication, right there.
but if the servers are shut down, the game should be forced to close as well.
Hmmm. Want to just chalk it up as a mystery of the ages?

EDIT: Or the guy above me has the answer.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I may hate the halo series and think this is kind of silly since halo 3 is basically the same thing as halo 2.
But I have a sick kind of respect for them for trying to keep something they love alive for as long as they can, they know it's futile and when they stop it's going to shut down anyway but I support the players dedication GOOD JOB GUYS (there are clearly no girls who would do this)
*Salute*

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Holy crap.

I'm no Halo fanboy but I admire their dedication.

I wander what it must be like to know that you are the last ever players on Halo 2...?

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Go go! Whoever stays in till last is surely the true Halo 2 champion.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
fix-the-spade said:
josh797 said:
Peer to peer service, doesn't actually use any servers at all, the Xbox is the server.

Armored Prayer said:
I wonder what happens when theres only one left. What will he do?
Win!
so if its peer to peer, they dont have to marathon. if they dont need to xbox live server then they could turn off their xboxs and come back later and peer-peer it again.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
I'd really hate to be the 6th to last guy to drop out if they are not giving to all 24.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
Wow... just wow...
Why did they just get a beta code? They should get a copy of the legendary edition of halo reach.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Is it just me being cynical or am I the only thinking they did this for fame/the chance at a beta key?

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
How can five people possibly play a 17 day match? They've got to be idling most of the time.

Still, I can respect what they're doing.

TheXRatedDodo

Jan 7, 2009
On another note, this is why dedicated servers will ALWAYS be superior.
No pulling of plugs that completely disables you from being able to partake in a game's multiplayer.
I mean, I haven't checked, but I bet all the HL1 era multiplayer stuff (deathmatch classic, TF1, even ricochet) still has one or two servers going. Dedicated servers leave the option to continue playing in the hands of the community, not in the hands of a suit with a big red button.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
josh797 said:
XJ-0461 said:
josh797 said:
I'm guessing that they started a game before the servers began to shut down, and have been playing ever since.

So that's some dedication, right there.
but if the servers are shut down, the game should be forced to close as well.
The games are hosted client-side. All the Microsoft's servers did was set up the games.

So you can't make new games, or join existing ones, but if you're already connected, you're good until you leave, or your connection craps out.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
josh797 said:
so if its peer to peer, they dont have to marathon. if they dont need to xbox live server then they could turn off their xboxs and come back later and peer-peer it again.
Unfortunately no, that is where Microsoft have been incredibly sneaky.

Once the game is running it requires no server as one of the consoles is a host.
But, to get to that point you have to log into Live through Halo 2, which requires connecting to Xbox Live's central account servers. These servers apply to any and all Live games, but no longer allow access to any Xbox 1 game even if they are being played from a 360, so once the player disconnects, he cannot get back to the game.

Matchmaking does require a server between rounds to monitor stats and match up players to games, but this will not be matchmaking as it has run well beyond any time limits in matchmaking gametypes.

It's incredibly sneaky as it puts an arbitrary wall between player and game, there is no technical reason at all why friends only and invite matches of Halo 2 cannot continue, except that when you log in to Live now it specifically prevents you from playing it. Very, very sneaky.

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
Simalacrum said:
Holy crap.

I'm no Halo fanboy but I admire their dedication.

I wander what it must be like to know that you are the last ever players on Halo 2...?
Only for the Xbox, the PC dedicated servers are all still up and running. Still, it is pretty amazing that they're going to these lengths to keep their game alive, bet they were surprised when Bungie decided to reward them for it.