Dedicated Halo 2 Fans Still Hanging Tough

PwnSt0nes

Jan 10, 2010
what these guys are doing is great, for like a million reasons. All of which i am too lazy to list.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
Microsoft salutes them for their dedication and yet people still continue to shit all over them. Lovely.

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
reecedempsey said:
olikunmissile said:
I might not like Halo or the stereotype of it's fans but.

Hang tough kids. You defiantly earn the right to be Spartans.
being a spartan isnt a right its a duty taken from childhood and traineed to kill with genetic and physical augments you have no choice. do you reckon someone somewhere is placing bets on this
Believe it or not I've actually read all the books up to the Ghosts of Onyx something or other. Now, unless it's in anything following that book, where has it ever mentioned genetically altering the kids, all they did to them was stick metal in their bones.

You might have tried to go fanboy on me but I probably know a lot more about the franchise you're trying your little darnedest to defend from someone that isn't a threat. Grow up. Seriously.

Tears of Blood said:
Heheh. Now that's what I call a "dedicated server." x]

Snip
I like you. That was actually worth a laugh.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
They don't deserve our respect. They deserve a kick to the arse!
It's crazy how some people get so butthurt over something so trivial and inconsequential.

Either way, mad props to them. When you love something, you love something.

Aug 25, 2009
Nuke_em_05 said:
MelasZepheos said:
big snip.
You do realize that staying connected for seventeen days doesn't mean that they have been playing for seventeen days, right? You can connect, walk away, and stay connected until the end of time so long as: 1. Your internet connection doesn't crap out. 2. Your hardware doesn't crap out. and 3. Nobody boots you. They probably play in rotations or have periods of time with five Spartans just standing there doing nothing. On that note, seventeen days of uuninterrupted connection is a pretty strong testament to their ISPs and Hardware.

As for the classic "X is dumb because Y is 'better'" argument is purely subjective. They enjoy it. Just because you don't doesn't make them idiotic.

Maybe they aren't playing to stick it to Microsoft (Bungie had very little to do with shutting down classic LIVE service). Maybe they just like the game? It is apparent that you don't, but that doesn't mean that they are somehow "wrong".
I think that may be even worse. If they're not even playing, that takes away commitment from my list. They're just sitting around letting their consoles run, wasting power. So actually, I suppose I'll say that their ISPs deserve the praise, but they're not even doing it themselves.

I said I enjoyed Halo 2. It's actually one of my favourite games ever, I still play it regularly in local multiplayer with friends on mine or their 360s, but I acknowledge that a half decade is a long time to continue supporting it online, especially now that there is an upgrade. I even said in my original post that I liked Halo, so quite where you got the X is dumb because Y is stupid I don't know. I said Halo 3 multiplayer was better, which I will defend, I did not say that Halo 2 was awful/terrible/dumb in response.

In fact, I'm going to ask that before you answer to my post, you read it properly and understand what I was saying first.

My specific issue was with the wording of 'courage and commitment' so in order to respond properly, tell me why they are courageous, and why they are committed, then we can argue properly, instead of having an intersecting monologue.

WastedHero

Jan 14, 2009
fozzy360 said:
It's crazy how some people get so butthurt over something so trivial and inconsequential.

Either way, mad props to them. When you love something, you love something.
Indeed. It's not like these guys are walking into your house and slapping your mama. Maybe they're going for some kind of Guinness World Record.

Either way, I think it's cool that they are doing it. Even if it was some crappy game that I didn't like I would still support their right to do it.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
Nuke_em_05 said:
MelasZepheos said:
big snip.
You do realize that staying connected for seventeen days doesn't mean that they have been playing for seventeen days, right? You can connect, walk away, and stay connected until the end of time so long as: 1. Your internet connection doesn't crap out. 2. Your hardware doesn't crap out. and 3. Nobody boots you. They probably play in rotations or have periods of time with five Spartans just standing there doing nothing. On that note, seventeen days of uuninterrupted connection is a pretty strong testament to their ISPs and Hardware.

As for the classic "X is dumb because Y is 'better'" argument is purely subjective. They enjoy it. Just because you don't doesn't make them idiotic.

Maybe they aren't playing to stick it to Microsoft (Bungie had very little to do with shutting down classic LIVE service). Maybe they just like the game? It is apparent that you don't, but that doesn't mean that they are somehow "wrong".
I think that may be even worse. If they're not even playing, that takes away commitment from my list. They're just sitting around letting their consoles run, wasting power. So actually, I suppose I'll say that their ISPs deserve the praise, but they're not even doing it themselves.

I said I enjoyed Halo 2. It's actually one of my favourite games ever, I still play it regularly in local multiplayer with friends on mine or their 360s, but I acknowledge that a half decade is a long time to continue supporting it online, especially now that there is an upgrade. I even said in my original post that I liked Halo, so quite where you got the X is dumb because Y is stupid I don't know. I said Halo 3 multiplayer was better, which I will defend, I did not say that Halo 2 was awful/terrible/dumb in response.

In fact, I'm going to ask that before you answer to my post, you read it properly and understand what I was saying first.

My specific issue was with the wording of 'courage and commitment' so in order to respond properly, tell me why they are courageous, and why they are committed, then we can argue properly, instead of having an intersecting monologue.
The majority of your initial post was personal insults at these guys. Many of which were based on the assumption that they were playing non-stop. So now you view them as "less" having realized that they have potentially maintained a "healthy" commitment to something they love? Playing the same match in their leisure time, but keeping it connected while away because once it is lost, it is lost for good?

I apologize if my actions, or these guys, have somehow directly impacted your life so negatively to warrant such vitrol.

Perhaps you shouldn't let things that have no impact on you affect you? Honestly, what about these guys doing this really warrants you lashing out at them so?

Maybe I'm ascribing too much to them, perhaps they are sleep-deprived, unemployed, neck-bearded man-children with no social life. That doesn't really affect me, so I don't care. I do share something in common with them, I like Halo 2 on original LIVE. They obviously had more of a commitment to it than I did by doing this, so I think that's pretty neat. Heck, even Microsoft (the "big-bad" people who actually cancelled the service, not Bungie as you suggested), think it is worth at least beta-keys, so go figure.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
To the people saying that these guys are nerds/have no lives, did you ever consider that they could just leave their Xbox on, and go on with their lives? They could be playing a hour a day, or ten, and it wouldn't make a difference. Maybe they have an "idle corner" set up somewhere, where people can walk their character to, if they aren't playing, and you aren't allowed to kill the people there. Seems like there are a few easy solutions to the problem.

XainBushido

Mar 17, 2010
I respect the dedication I can't hate people wanting to continue doing something they love.

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
This has probably been said, but this will pretty much go down as another epic moment in gaming history, alongside releases of seminal games like Final Fantasy VII and shenmue, and maybe even the videogame crash of the 80's. Truly memorable and noteworthy.