Deep Down Has "Nothing To Do With Dragon's Dogma"

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Deep Down Has "Nothing To Do With Dragon's Dogma"

Sad news for Dragon's Dogma fans: The upcoming PlayStation 4 title Deep Down is not a spin-off of Capcom's flawed but wildly entertaining roleplaying title.

When Sony first announced specifics about its upcoming PlayStation 4 console, it showed off an upcoming Capcom title currently known as Deep Down. That clip you see embedded at top-right is a two-plus minute announcement trailer for the title, and as you can see it's certainly a sword-swinging, medieval fantasy of some kind. With so few games of that ilk in Capcom's extensive portfolio, fans of Dragon's Dogma assumed almost instantly that Deep Down must be a new entry in the franchise, but sadly, that's not the case.

Hoping for official confirmation of a connection, fans on the Capcom Unity forums asked the company for a binding comment on the topic. Capcom's senior vice president Christian Svensson was happy to oblige, but his response wasn't what fans were hoping for. "... no new [Dragon's Dogma] product has been announced so there's nothing I can comment on there," Svensson states.

"For reference [Dead Rising 3] and Deep Down have nothing to do with Dragon's Dogma," he adds.

Straight up, I love Dragon's Dogma. Love it. It's far from a perfect game, but the concepts Capcom does get right in that game work so very well that it's easy for me to overlook its failings. Hearing that Deep Down isn't a new, next-generation Dragon's Dogma game is all kinds of depressing, but at the same time maybe we fans were getting our hopes up too quickly. I mean, this is Capcom we're talking about; a Dragon's Dogma sequel will happen eventually, it's just a matter of when. So, until the company runs out of fighters to sequelize, classic arcade games to remake, and Mega Man games to cancel, we'll just have to content ourselves with the recent Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen.

Source: Capcom Unity [http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/29964977/dragons-dogma-a-sony-franchise-now?post_num=10#533180419]

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
DVS BSTrD said:
Due to the obvious lack of actual gameplay, I think, Deep Down, I always knew it wasn't a sequel.
I see what you did there. It wasn't that this isn't Dogma that makes me sad. It's the mention of Mega Man. How I miss that guy. Going to be on Smash Brothers, but that's not enough. Not nearly enough.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Arawn said:
I see what you did there.
I don't see how. He was quite transparent. Wait, wrong thread.

I think it's weird that it's a "sad" thing that we're getting a new "IP" in a culture that constantly clamors for "new 'IP'". Especially since it doesn't preclude a future for Dragon's Dogma or anything. Rather, we're getting a new game and the worst thing we've got going for it is "not a sequel."

I mean, just think. We might have TWO franchises dealing with this sort of thing. And honestly, I'm trying to find the downside to "choice," unless the choice is about the previously mentioned Mega Man and the lack of choices.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
This makes me sad...
A Dragon's Dogma sequel would be a early system seller for me.
It's pretty much like two of my favorite games had some kind of mutant child that turned out just as beautiful as both in its own way.
Now I try to slip a little Monster Hunter action into any D&D campaign I run.

I hope they decided that Deep Down would not be a sequel but a spiritual successor instead.
Abandoning the previous story but using most of the gameplay elements.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
"For reference [Dead Rising 3] and Deep Down have nothing to do with Dragon's Dogma," he adds.
Wait, wut?

Were people actually thinking that Dead Rising had something to do with Deep Down?

I believe I must've missed the part of the trailer that had someone running around in a mankini with a dinosaur head on hitting dragons with dildos.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Arawn said:
It wasn't that this isn't Dogma that makes me sad. It's the mention of Mega Man. How I miss that guy. Going to be on Smash Brothers, but that's not enough. Not nearly enough.
Yeah, sorry about that. I'm a jerk.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Pitty it's not a DD sequel, but iunno, with luck, capcom will have learned some lessons, and the game will be great anyway? Here's hoping.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Arawn said:
I see what you did there.
I don't see how. He was quite transparent. Wait, wrong thread.

I think it's weird that it's a "sad" thing that we're getting a new "IP" in a culture that constantly clamors for "new 'IP'". Especially since it doesn't preclude a future for Dragon's Dogma or anything. Rather, we're getting a new game and the worst thing we've got going for it is "not a sequel."

I mean, just think. We might have TWO franchises dealing with this sort of thing. And honestly, I'm trying to find the downside to "choice," unless the choice is about the previously mentioned Mega Man and the lack of choices.
Well we want news IPs that aren't the same as everything else out there. Dragon's Dogma was an IP like that. It had a lot of potential and a lot of issues. A sequel could have fixed the issues and improved on what was already there. Of course if a lot of games that came out were like Dragon's Dogma then people would be less disappointed about it.

Bottom Line: We want something new but when something new comes out and is flawed we want a sequel to improve on the original.

eltonborges

Apr 25, 2008
"a Dragon's Dogma sequel will happen eventually, it's just a matter of when." Just like Godhand, just like Tech Romancer, just like Haunting Ground, just like Battle Circuit, just like Auto Modellista, just like Cannon Spike, just like Red Earth, just like Beatdown... Yeah, they always have a sequence in mind. Not to mention, Breath of Fire, Rival Schools, Power Stone, taht could not even make an appearance in Marvel vs Capcom!

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
I'm in the party for new IP's. Sequels and remakes are great when the developer finds something they want to expand or improve, but if we get a new IP that's equally awesome, I'm instantly more hyped than if it was a sequel.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Most of those games, while good, either sold like crap or were released in that time when the arcade was starting to die out everywhere but Japan and Capcom was still making a lot those of arcade titles.

Except Breath of Fire, in that case Dragon Quarter pretty much committed franchise suicide for a lot of people.

Dragon's Dogma on the other hand is a surprise hit that sold millions of copies and holds the current record of fastest selling new IP on this console generation. So I think it's far more likely to see a sequel coming out of it than any of those plus Deep Down shows a lot of similarities in design in what's shown so it is odd that it isn't some kind of successor.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
All I can say is that those who have completed Dragon's Dogma, understand the meaning of the concept of the 'Eternal Return' presented in the game...

I'm not buying this 'Deep Down isn't related to Dragon's Dogma' in any way.

I'll speak no further on it though and while I HAVEN'T finished Dark Arisen yet and discovered the truth within Bitterblack Isle, I doubt it has a drastic change to the meaning of the ending of Dragon's Dogma.

So... Yeah. That's all I've got.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Well i´m glad it´s something new, because it looks interesting. And there are too few games like this on the market. I hope it´s something less Open worldy and something a bit more similar to the level structure of Dark Souls. There really are too few games like that these days.

If you want more Dragons Dogma, you just have to be patient, it will come eventually. Probably sooner than later.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
eltonborges said:
"a Dragon's Dogma sequel will happen eventually, it's just a matter of when." Just like Godhand, just like Tech Romancer, just like Haunting Ground, just like Battle Circuit, just like Auto Modellista, just like Cannon Spike, just like Red Earth, just like Beatdown... Yeah, they always have a sequence in mind. Not to mention, Breath of Fire, Rival Schools, Power Stone, taht could not even make an appearance in Marvel vs Capcom!
The difference is that Dragons Dogma was a succes, they are probably planning a sequel right now, they always said that they wanted Dragons Dogma to be a franchise.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Capcom stated the other day they had to stop relying on fighter remakes to stay afloat. I always figured Deep Down was going to be a new IP to give the studio more life.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CrazyBlaze said:
Bottom Line: We want something new but when something new comes out and is flawed we want a sequel to improve on the original.
Yes, but the bottom line is that you can still have that. Nobody's saying you can't.

Deep Down isn't necessarily going to be all that similar, so it may still fill a desired niche AND not preclude Dragon's Dogma 2: Hardly Clerkin'.