Defiance Passes One Million Users in One Month

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011

Players of Trion Worlds' latest MMO have killed over 500 million hellbugs.

Just one month after launch, Trion Worlds' futuristic MMO Defiance has one million registered users. The multiplatform shooter, which is a companion to the Syfy TV show of the same name, launched on April 2 after being in development for five years. In addition to its million players, Defiance has seen 500 million hellbugs killed as gamers drove 50 million virtual miles on ATVs and fought on one million Arkfalls in under five weeks.

As for the television show, Defiance was the Syfy network's most-watched scripted premiere in seven years. Defiance premiered on April 15, and over two million people have watched the three episodes that have aired thus far; the next episode airs on May 6.

Though reviews for Defiance were average [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10284-Defiance-Review-Great-Concept-Generic-Game.2], calling the MMO "generic" (among other things), that clearly hasn't stopped gamers from taking a chance in the alien-filled apocalypse. According to Trion's Nathan Richardsson, this is "just the beginning of a truly unique entertainment experience." It's much too soon to call either the game or TV show a complete success, but at the very least, it appears that Defiance is off to a good start.

Source: GamesIndustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-03-defiance-scores-1-million-registrations]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
rhizhim said:
....like a kidney stone.

5 years developement and shitty ai plus horrid updaters and clear "stay away until they patched it" messages from reviewers seemed to have missed a million players.
There will always be an audience for bad games.

I'm just surprised it's this big.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
rhizhim said:
....like a kidney stone.

5 years developement and shitty ai plus horrid updaters and clear "stay away until they patched it" messages from reviewers seemed to have missed a million players.
There will always be an audience for bad games.

I'm just surprised it's this big.
Wasn't there something about the game influencing the TV series? Perhaps the sheer novelty of that appeals to people.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Uh, 3 posts in and 2 people are already lambasting the game. Funny. Have the two of you actually played the game or just watched some reviews? Maybe TB's "very first impressions"? Is the AI good? What exactly are you expecting out of it?

The game is relatively stable, its actually fun, you can play in group or solo, though playing solo actually requires alot more tactical play, you have to actually use cover and stuff like "the high ground" and "range". Enemies dodge your shots, use cover or require at least specific methods of dealing with them.

Aint gonna claim the game is perfect, it isnt. But i fail to see how people can go around claiming its bad. Especially those who havent even bothered actually playing it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I guess that is an achivement but isn't it normally the number of players register after release is usually higher than like (like 2 or 3)? I guess we shall see how long until the decline starts.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
As for the television show, Defiance was the Syfy network's most-watched scripted premiere in seven years. Defiance premiered on April 15, and over two million people have watched the three episodes that have aired thus far; the next episode airs on May 6.
So that would mean....say maybe 2 seasons before it gets axed for more wrestling or some kind of paranormal reality show?

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
One of the first fps mmos out there. THe fps mmo niche is ready for the taking

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
You know what, even though the game looks a bit generic in places, and the show hasnt exactly set my world on fire, I'm hoping that with the success they seem to be having so far, it allows them to take more risks and be willing to invest more money into the franchise to really turn it into something interesting.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
I thought the game was sub par. It works, no doubt about it, theres nothing wrong there. But its just boring. Atleast the show is okay.

jetriot

Sep 9, 2011
I need more out of my MMOs than combat these days. I am glad people enjoy it though and I wish them all the success in the world.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
kailus13 said:
Wasn't there something about the game influencing the TV series? Perhaps the sheer novelty of that appeals to people.
I think it only works the other way around, but I could be wrong.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Isn't it subscription based? 1,000,000 is a wonderful number for a first month, but how many will renew their subs? Because I think that's the real question here.

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
Falterfire said:
Isn't it subscription based? 1,000,000 is a wonderful number for a first month, but how many will renew their subs? Because I think that's the real question here.
I believe it's buy to play like Guild Wars 2 is

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
Falterfire said:
I believe it's buy to play like Guild Wars 2 is
I think you're right. I had it confused with Darkfall: Unholy Wars. (Another one of them shootery type MMOs that released recently)

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
A-D. said:
Uh, 3 posts in and 2 people are already lambasting the game. Funny. Have the two of you actually played the game or just watched some reviews? Maybe TB's "very first impressions"? Is the AI good? What exactly are you expecting out of it?

The game is relatively stable, its actually fun, you can play in group or solo, though playing solo actually requires alot more tactical play, you have to actually use cover and stuff like "the high ground" and "range". Enemies dodge your shots, use cover or require at least specific methods of dealing with them.

Aint gonna claim the game is perfect, it isnt. But i fail to see how people can go around claiming its bad. Especially those who havent even bothered actually playing it.
Well put. While I wouldn't say it's a great game, Defiance still plays fairly well and can be quite interesting. It's almost akin to DC Universe Online, not a spectacular, world changing game in any way what-so-ever, but it definitely has an appeal to it. Also, I found the show to be pretty decent and entertaining enough to keep watching it. It's no Firefly/insert relatively well received sci-fi show, but it still has it's own flavour.