Define Chemistry in Relationships

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
So I'd been wondering this for a while now but I've only just remembered/gotten off my metaphorical ass to bother asking someone. Which is the internet because random strangers opinions seems more varied and shit.

Anyway, when you hear someone mention having romantic chemistry with someone... is it emotional or physical that comes to your mind?

Which one could be considered the proper meaning? Or is there one at all in the first place?

If a person mentions a kiss with someone but that it felt too much like kissing a sibling, is that an emotional chemistry thing? Like having a connection? Or is it a physical chemistry thing where the kiss either sucked or didn't get them worked up at all?

BlazeRaider

Dec 25, 2009
I am pretty sure chemistry in this context is intentionally vaguely defined. My understanding is that it refers to the general reactions people have to each other's actions and personality, it refers to both I think. Though I do believe it leans towards the emotional side in general. Chemistry is something typical decided after interacting with the person, and therefore not based primarily on appearance.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
BlazeRaider said:
I am pretty sure chemistry in this context is intentionally vaguely defined. My understanding is that it refers to the general reactions people have to each other's actions and personality, it refers to both I think. Though I do believe it leans towards the emotional side in general. Chemistry is something typical decided after interacting with the person, and therefore not based primarily on appearance.
While I agree with most of this, I do think it leans more towards the physical than the emotional. Nothing to do with a person's appearance, but more sexual excitement. It can develop into a full blown emotional, longterm relationship, but I think when a couple is said to 'have chemistry' it means they are unable to keep apart - there's a spark, or some sort of pull between them.

Not to say people who have not had, or don't want to have sex, cannot feel chemistry - but that it isn't exactly an emotional connection, but that it isn't appearance-based either. More, y'know, chemical.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Chemistry would be based on how well you connect on every level. How well you personalities mesh, whether you have interests in common so you can share your lives, and of course the physical aspects you obviously have to have a attraction to each other.

For example my girlfriend tends to be a bit more controlling and agitated than myself while I tend to be extremely lax and easy going. Both of our personalities mesh well because she is able to push to get things done when I am lazy and I am able to keep more level headed when she gets frustrated so we balance each other.

We both love video games, judo, paintball, and cartoons so we have just about all our hobbies in common and the ones we don't we both don't mind learning about. I love comics and art and she loves to learn about all the subtle techniques to art and she even started reading all my batman comics. She loves science and often spends hours talking about all the lab work she does I find it fascinating. This is why our interests work well together.

Lastly the physical aspect I tend to be really into Asian girls at least more so than most other ethnic groups and she likes red heads in the same sorta way so in these regards we work well in a physical attraction sorta sense.

keybird

Jun 1, 2009
Happiness.

If you have chemistry with someone, I like to think it means your happy with them. That's all that really matters

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
A mixture of both [small]see what I did there?[/small]
For there to be a long term relationship there needs to be at least SOME physical attraction and SOME emotional attachment, if there isn't any then one party would get sick of the other. There are exceptions of course but I'm talking about generally.