Del Toro, Kojima Will Still Collaborate on a New, Non-Silent Hills Project

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Del Toro, Kojima Will Still Collaborate on a New, Non-Silent Hills Project

Despite Silent Hills [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/silent%20hills?os=%20silent%20hills] cancellation, del Toro and Kojima still plan to collaborate.

Earlier this year, the gaming community collectively wet their pants at the prospect of Hellboy director Guillermo del Toro and Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima collaborating on a new Silent Hill title: changing relationship [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/silent%20hills?os=%20silent%20hills] with Kojima. The good news is that this isn't the end, as del Toro has said that he still plans to collaborate with Kojima on a new, non-Silent Hills project.

In an interview with IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/24/silent-hills-kojima-del-toro-still-plan-to-work-on-new-project], del Toro said, "I love working with Kojima-san. We are still in touch. We are still friends and working into doing something together, but that's not going to be [Silent Hills]."

The veteran director also offers us a glimpse into what Silent Hills could have been. "We were in the planning stages, and it's a shame it's not going to happen," del Toro said. "We were talking about really pushing the boundaries of the new consoles, and making the game really mess with your head. One of the great moments in Metal Gear was Psycho Mantis. The idea that a game can actually interact with you, and stuff like that."

For the uninitiated, the Psycho Mantis fight in the original Metal Gear Solid broke the forth wall by having Mantis display his "psychic powers". During the fight, he would activate the controller's rumble feature, change the TV channel, and even "read" the player's memory card, making comments about other games they had been playing.

It's a shame that Silent Hills is dead, but i'm excited to see what del Toro and Kojima can think up, especially when they are freed from the corporate restrictions of Konami.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/24/silent-hills-kojima-del-toro-still-plan-to-work-on-new-project]

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
This is great news, possibly better then Silent Hills. They may enjoy greater creative freedom.

(pssssst It's Del Toro)

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Excellent.

It'd be neat if they could get Reedus on board for the hell of it (if that's even legal), but I sense that only good things can come of this.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
As Captain Barbossa says, "Gents! Our hope is restored!"

Please be a horror game. And please be so good that Konami's board spends the rest of their lives beating their heads against their keyboards.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
That's good to know, hopefully they'll create something so good the brain trust at Konami will regret ever letting them go... (Crosses fingers)

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Sniper Team 4 said:
As Captain Barbossa says, "Gents! Our hope is restored!"

Please be a horror game. And please be so good that Konami's board spends the rest of their lives beating their heads against their keyboards.
Let me get that clip for you.

OT: Well then! Wonder where this is gonna go. I look forward to finding that out.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Konami might want to see games development killed, but they will not be able to stop the Silent Hills spiritual successor.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
With del Toro still optimistic, I smell an extremely successful Kickstarter in the near future.

If Konami hadn't been a bunch of asshats, Silent Hills would probably be getting preorders out the wazoo in a few months. Now whatever Kojima game comes out next without Konami's involvment will probably be immensely successful, just from the news of how Konami handled MGS 5 and Silent Hills.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Kickstart a non-Silent Hill Silent Hill game. Call it...Hushed Peak.

Seriously, wanna break Kickstarter again, Kojima? This will get funded before you can say James Sunderland.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Del Toro keeps dancing around great games and failing to deliver. Anybody remember his tryst with Shadow of the Colossus? I'm starting to think he can't walk the talk.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Del Toro keeps dancing around great games and failing to deliver. Anybody remember his tryst with Shadow of the Colossus? I'm starting to think he can't walk the talk.
Well, this time it wasn't really his fault. He was working together with possibly the biggest industry vet still working and there was a concept demo and everything. One that people responded to very positively.

All his videogame projects are mired by bad luck though, so let's see if whatever they're going to set up next will finally break that streak.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
InsanityRequiem said:
Dapper Changeling said:
Coming in 2018
Quiet Peaks.
Vausch said:
Kickstart a non-Silent Hill Silent Hill game. Call it...Hushed Peak.

No no, gotta be more conspicuous. Ambient Valley is where it's at!
Muted Knoll
Whispering Heights
Peaceful Bluff
Reticent Ridge
Mum Crest

Oh!

"A Game Published by EA and Konami".

Everyone will be scared forever before they even buy it.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Wistful Ascent?
Yippee for good news! Although a part of me hoped, there is always that inherited despair that doubts all that can be doubted. Entropy is a bit of a naysayer. Norman Reedus isn't a huge loss if they can't get him on board, it isn't like he's one of the creative driving forces behind the whole shabbang.

Still have the PT demo on ps4 HDD...

*I want to believe*