Demon Gaze Review - Grinding My Business

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Demon Gaze Review - Grinding My Business

A deceptively wacky game with a tough-as-nails heart.

Read Full Article

Malk_Content

Mar 20, 2011
There was mention of strengthening loot in the basement. Is this done through sheer expenditure of resources or is more like most other games in the NIS family, where you select a piece of loot to generate a minidungeon that, upon completion, confers bonuses to said item? If so I'm all over this and will finally use my vita for something other than Blazblue on the train.

tokesthedokes

Apr 22, 2014
I was wondering how similar this game is to the Etrain Odyssey series. Those games have been my introduction into the genre, but I've heard from some people that EO is not like many other first-person dungeon crawlers. Obviously EO is the only one with map-drawing, but are there any other differences? Is it simply difficulty? Or are the people I've talked to crazy?

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Malk_Content said:
There was mention of strengthening loot in the basement. Is this done through sheer expenditure of resources or is more like most other games in the NIS family, where you select a piece of loot to generate a minidungeon that, upon completion, confers bonuses to said item? If so I'm all over this and will finally use my vita for something other than Blazblue on the train.
I should have been more clear. You essentially "scrap" equipment to extract essence from it, which can be used on any other weapon of the same type. So, if you extract essence from an axe, you lose the weapon, but can use the essence to strengthen any other axes you have.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Hey, looks like the European release is only three days after the American one.

Yaaaaaaaaaaay. Goodness, I've been looking forward to a good dungeon crawler on the Vita.

Edit:

Thank you for the review Jim <3<3<3<3<3

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's been getting a ton of play out of his vita, these days, Jim! Again I must thank you, though. As with Dangan Ronpa before it, your review is the first news I'd heard of this game getting localized. I'll go pick it up this weekend, if this is anything to go by. Well done examples of niche genres need to be supported.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Goddamnit Jim, I'm supposed to be spending less money on games, not more. All this is doing is shifting my spending from PC to handheld.

jackpackage200

Jul 4, 2011
Great review Jim.

I am picking up the Borderlands 2 Vita Bundle in May and I will make sure to pick up Demon Gaze as well.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
I bought and played this game all day yesterday (thanks to this review). It's great! But boy is it hard, I'm glad Dark Souls 2 conditioned me for not getting angry at deaths.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I've never really tried this style of game before. Sounds like a good way to get started as my Vita currently is sitting with Deception IV 3/4 the way through the tutorial level (brother got me playing path of Exile before I could dig into it).

Pariah164

May 9, 2008
Demon Gaze is amazing. Seriously. If you like RPGs at all, go play this. I usually am not a fan of dungeon crawlers, but this game is addictive as hell.