Demon's ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU (Souls)

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
What the hell is with this game, I started it yesterday and bloody hell, I died in the tutorial (vs some giant guy with an axe, he crushed me) and now I'm pretty much stuck in the soul world...I can't get out, any hints or is this game just too hard for me :(

Carbonic Penguin

Jul 7, 2009
Pretty much just trial and error... keep trying, everytime you go through, you'll learn something, and get a bit further before you die! Maybe...

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Just wait until you get to an unbeatable boss, die, and lose 10k souls.

This is a game that genuinely hates the player. All i can suggest is writing notes for other players to recommend so you get a health boost now and then. Make sure you have a ranged weapon for the dragon, too.

Biffy Cakeo

May 24, 2010
Your meant to die at the end of the tutorial. Also what is your class? Roayl is the best for beginners but if you want to be melee i suggest temple knight.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
The best advice I can give you is this: adopt a very defensive play style for your first time through the game. Find the Purple Flame Shield on 1-1. Find the Winged Spear on 1-2. Proceed to play turtle, poking with your spear while you block with your shield. Oh, and ditch most of your armor so you can "fast-roll", because dodging is about 10x more effective than blocking. Just make sure you're fighting in a decently open area. You don't want to be fighting in narrow hallways or on the edge of a cliff if you can help it; failed rolls will kill you more often than anything else.

Once you're relatively comfortable with the rhythm of combat, start paying attention to vulnerabilities. Some enemies are vulnerable to piercing attacks, which your spear covers nicely. Some enemies call for magic or fire. Others will be knocked down and subsequently owned by heavy weaponry. Using the wrong weapon is like fist-fighting a dump truck, so expand your arsenal whenever you can. Oh, and try to find a bow as quickly as possible. They're the only ranged weapons you can actually aim for long distance shots, which is crucial for pulling enemies into more favorable environments.

Biffy Cakeo

May 24, 2010
FieryTrainwreck said:
Stick with it! After a few dozen frustratingly stupid deaths, you too will begin abusing overpowered weapons and exploiting idiotic AI! Really, that's when you know you're awesome.

Sorry, I didn't buy into the whole "this game teaches you how to kick ass" nonsense. The best way to dominate DS is to play like a methodical cheating prick. It's lame.
Yeah I glitched the flamelurker to beat him melee.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Veldt Falsetto said:
What the hell is with this game, I started it yesterday and bloody hell, I died in the tutorial (vs some giant guy with an axe, he crushed me) and now I'm pretty much stuck in the soul world...I can't get out, any hints or is this game just too hard for me :(
Yahtzee had the same issue, you wern't supposed to survive against the massive monster and read an instruction manuel to find out how to get out of the soul world... there are many ways... THe game is meant to be INCREDIBLY challenging and every time you die, you start the level over again.

choose your fights wisely, lure enemies away from one another, and beware for hiding monsters, they be cheap in this game...

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
That fat axe guy is a meant-to-die fight, don't worry.

Even if you manage to kill him you just go down a hallway to get ***** slapped by the dragon god.

To get out of soul form you have to kill a boss, use a stone of ephemereal eye, invade someone elses world or help someone else out in their world.

To come back to life for the first time your only choice is to kill a boss in soul form though.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
It gets easier once you play enough and get better. I struggled playing through about a quarter of the game with my first character, then decided I wanted a STR build and restarted and annihilated the tutorial boss. Progress in Demon's Souls is such a good feeling... stick with it.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Biffy Cakeo said:
Your meant to die at the end of the tutorial. Also what is your class? Roayl is the best for beginners but if you want to be melee i suggest temple knight.
Yeah I'm Royalty class, I like my back stabs and ripostes though so I tend to be more into melee than magic atm.

Urgh this game is silly hard.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Yeah, you're meant to be killed by the Vanguard at the end of the tutorial.
All you have to do to continue the game is talk to the soldier sitting by the stairs near the first pillar, then enter the activate the portal behind him.

I'd suggest using the Royal class on your first time through (starts with magic and mana regen).
For the least frustrating run possible, get a bow, a spear and a shield.
Never let go of the block button unless you know you're safe.

Once you get the basics, what will kill you most of the time is heights. You will fall to your death more times than you can count.

You need patience to complete this game.

The only game I've completed that's more frustrating than DS is Ninja Gaiden 1 on MNM (and maybe NG2 as well).

Biffy Cakeo

May 24, 2010
Veldt Falsetto said:
Biffy Cakeo said:
Yeah I'm Royalty class, I like my back stabs and ripostes though so I tend to be more into melee than magic atm.

Urgh this game is silly hard.
In my opinion Royal is not that good a choice if you want melee. It just takes practice and patience. Look up the secrets in some levels and dont rush in. Soldier,Knight, or Temple Knight for melee. Royal for Magic. Once you've got the hang of it you can start again as a more advanced charater (Pointless hard character EG BARABARIAN RAWR D:)

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Hehe, I was just playing this. I was in a fight with some stupid knight in the first level (not the tutorial) and he and I hit eachother with fatal blows at the SAME TIME!! He was dropping to the floor at the same time as me. Needless to say, I raged.

Googenstien

Jul 6, 2010
You are supposed to die in the Tutorial and its then when you find out dying means NOTHING in this game at all.. you lose the souls you have on you if you die again without getting your body.. but its really no big deal, there are plenty places to farm and one you can do early on where you get 4500 souls with killing 1 guy which takes no more than 25 seconds, then you evac and do the run again as many times as you want.

The first ring you should get and keep on you whenever you die is the Cling Ring which makes it so being in soul form only takes 25% of your max life.

I finished the game lastnight finally, I stopped playing months ago when in a drunken rage I killed the entire Nexus. I thought I was slick by ejecting the disc after the last person was dead. But upon loading back in all of the NPCs were dead other than the Maiden. So I had to play 50% of the game without a banker and all of my souls were on him too! Luckily he returned on the second play though.

Stick with the game, its awesome and read thru the wikia site and their forums to get help on how to do things in terms of specs and weapons.