Demon's Souls or Dark Souls?

Grey Walker

Jul 9, 2010
They have similar mechanics, but a vastly different atmosphere.

Demon's Souls has a series of worlds connected by a hub, and you can stock up on supplies before challenging a world, plus you're ab;e to tackle the worlds in whatever order you feel prepared for. The bosses are each unique and each level and indeed zone of each level have their own feel and set of enemies.

Dark Souls works by giving you limited supplies and a continuous world, but has more frequent checkpoints to balance it. Cautious exploration is more key than in Demon's Souls to discover the way forward, and it's more than likely that you'll need to find your way around problems rather than through them. It's a more subtle and fluid experience, but I've heard there is repetition in some bosses and minibosses, though I haven't progressed far enough to confirm this.

Both require a high pain tolerance and persistence, as well as a cool temper. You will die a lot, and you will likely be frustrated more than once. I have found both games to be extremely rewarding and challenging, so I say play both.

If you don't have a preference based on the two descriptions above, get Demon's Souls first due to the lower price, and make sure it's for you. If you enjoy it, then get Dark Souls after. If not, then you'll have saved a good chunk of change.

Word of warning: Be extra cautious when approaching major bridges. It could save your life.

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
I haven't played Dark Soul's but Demon Souls isn't nearly as hard as people say it is. I started as a Temple Knight because he has a halberd. I figured this would give me a bit of an edge because I'd have some extra range. No, I broke the game. I've died six times in my 12 hours of gameplay. 5 of which were against the second boss, and one with the dragon on the bridge.

So, get Dark Souls, because I was totally unimpressed with Demon Souls.

Soulfoodman

Dec 20, 2009
Leximodicon said:
I haven't played Dark Soul's but Demon Souls isn't nearly as hard as people say it is. I started as a Temple Knight because he has a halberd. I figured this would give me a bit of an edge because I'd have some extra range. No, I broke the game. I've died six times in my 12 hours of gameplay. 5 of which were against the second boss, and one with the dragon on the bridge.

So, get Dark Souls, because I was totally unimpressed with Demon Souls.
Want to really break Demons Souls? Build an archer.