Demon's Souls servers shutting down

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
Hope they one day remake it and create a PC port.

As a PC gamer, I haven't played any games on a console in 15+ years. My last console was a Playstation 1.

But a while back, a friend offered to loan me his old PS3 so I can play Demon's Souls. I'd just have to buy the game, a controller, and some cables to hook it up. This announcement has me pondering whether I should take him up on that offer. It's probably cost me about $40-50 out of pocket to get it set up.

There probably will be a surge of online traffic in the next few months, too, as people scramble to get in one more playthrough.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I sense some sort of remaster announcement in the near future. FromSoft have not yet revealed any of those games they said they were working on, which were around 3 maybe? My hope is a duel bundle of Demon and Dark Souls remastered with all new pretty environments to molest in existential despair.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Johnny Novgorod said:
Trading post!
Anybody want to trade me chunks of Hardstone, Mercurystone, Clearstone, Suckerstone, Marrowstone and/or Bladestone?
Also need pure Clearstone, Darkmoonstone and Greystone.
And the following rings: Friend's Ring, Foe's Ring, Ring of Devout Prayer and Eternal Warrior's Ring.
I would, but I killed Stockpile Thomas for some reason I no longer remember and can't access my stuff.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Drathnoxis said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Trading post!
Anybody want to trade me chunks of Hardstone, Mercurystone, Clearstone, Suckerstone, Marrowstone and/or Bladestone?
Also need pure Clearstone, Darkmoonstone and Greystone.
And the following rings: Friend's Ring, Foe's Ring, Ring of Devout Prayer and Eternal Warrior's Ring.
I would, but I killed Stockpile Thomas for some reason I no longer remember and can't access my stuff.
You monster.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Dalisclock said:
Xprimentyl said:
Wow, that sucks; I never got to play it! Ironically, I?m listening to a Let?s Play of Demon?s Souls right NOW, and was just thinking about picking it up. (I?m only listening because the Let?s Players have hilarious banter, but I DID notice there?s an enemy in there who?s laugh track was repurposed for Smough?s highly-modulated laugh in Dark Souls!)
Demons Souls, ironically, doesn't benefit from MP as much as the other games in the series. Mostly because of World Tendency. Not only is it effected by things you do, but also(apparently) things other people do as well, so other peoples games can screw with your and if you're actually trying to manipulate world tendency for sidequests or enemies, this can be frustrating.

Granted, I haven't beaten the game but this is my understanding.
True. It?s ironic you pretty much have to play offline to Platinum the game, since world tendency is/was tied to daily or seasonal events. I only did my first playthrough online, and then a bit here and there for pvp. I like how Bloodborne lets you choose off or online before you start vs having to disconnect from XMB.

In any case, Demon?s definitely deserves a remaster, and it would be cool if the broken arch stone world was somehow utilized. Maybe finding an alternate route after a certain point in the game would be best to keep the mystery intact. I wouldn?t want it magically repaired as dlc or whatever. Maybe it could be sort of like the painting in Dark Souls, where once you're in you have to fulfill certain requirements to get back.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
CritialGaming said:
Just makes you aware of all these games we have today with online features, that at some point will no longer be the same, or in some cases, even playable.

One thing about old Playstation 2 and older era games is that, if you have the working hardware and disc, you can play the full game just as it was the day it came out.

How many games that come out these days can you say that about?
least with the Souls games all your losing is the PvP, and far as I'm concerned that's a 'and nothing of value was lost' kinda thing.

But yeah, far to many games will be reduced to a coaster or abandoned code once the servers go offline, and that's kind of a massive problem.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Well it was bound to happen sooner or later. Hopefully that PS3 emulator will be able to have online or something.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
CritialGaming said:
Just makes you aware of all these games we have today with online features, that at some point will no longer be the same, or in some cases, even playable.

One thing about old Playstation 2 and older era games is that, if you have the working hardware and disc, you can play the full game just as it was the day it came out.

How many games that come out these days can you say that about?
This. Game consoles today just aren't like older ones. In the age of online everything and digital downloads, it's hard to imagine playing your Xbox One or PlayStation 4 decades from now.

Also, for those who wanted a PC port: I doubt it. FromSoft has proven that they do not care about PC gaming. I'm surprised that they even bother with PC ports. Dark Souls (the PC port) was indescribably bad. Dark Souls II was a lot better, but if I recall, they still did the lazy "press A/X/whatever console button" in order to do an action on the PC version with mouse and keyboard. Of course, the mouse-and-keyboard controls were so poorly done on the game, you'd want to use a controller.

Also, generally speaking, I doubt it because it's so old. I just don't see it happening.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Trading post again!

I'm replaying the game on NG+ right now and going for all the trophies I can. I'd love to take advantage one last time of online trading before the servers shut down because afterwards it's going to make stone farming a fucking nightmare. Stones are a priority, but I'm also looking for certain weapons/rings. I don't need to keep those, just hold them for the checklist to register as complete and the trophy to pop.

Stones: 1 pure Bladestone, 2 chunks of Mercurystone and about 5-6 chunks of Bladestone and Marrowstone.
Rings: Foe's Ring, Friend's Ring.
Weapons: Blind, Insanity Catalyst, Phosphorecent Pole.

In return I've got just about everything else to trade: pure everything (except Darkmoonstone, Clearstone and Greystone) and chunks for everything.

PS: EU servers only.

EDIT: Well, I got everything I needed from some kind stranger over at PSNProfiles. Go internet!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I have a feeling the Souls games are going to be getting periodic HD re-releases, including Demon's Souls. It's already all but confirmed that they're working on a Dark Souls 1 remaster for current gen.

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
Mad World said:
Also, for those who wanted a PC port: I doubt it. FromSoft has proven that they do not care about PC gaming. I'm surprised that they even bother with PC ports. Dark Souls (the PC port) was indescribably bad. Dark Souls II was a lot better, but if I recall, they still did the lazy "press A/X/whatever console button" in order to do an action on the PC version with mouse and keyboard. Of course, the mouse-and-keyboard controls were so poorly done on the game, you'd want to use a controller.

Also, generally speaking, I doubt it because it's so old. I just don't see it happening.
The port is bad as installed, sure. But remap the keybinds to something that actually makes sense, install a few fix mods, and, IMO, it controls with KB&M as well as any other PC game, like Witcher 3, for example.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Well, I finally got my Platinum. All is well in the world.
Can't believe I played this game for 4 years without knowing about the duplication glitch.