Demon's Souls Servers Will Last a Little Longer

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Demon's Souls Servers Will Last a Little Longer

Atlus has announced they're guaranteeing server support for Demon's Souls [http://www.amazon.ca/Atlus-DS-00132-3-Demons-Souls/dp/B002AB7TX8] unique online features until sometime next year.

Originally, server support for From Software's rock-hard PS3 adventure game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6527-Review-Demons-Souls] was only guaranteed until October of this year, after which publisher Atlus could pull the plug whenever it felt like it. While you don't need to be online to play Demon's Souls, and there's certainly enough offline content to warrant the $19.99 asking price, the game will be poorer without it's unique social components.

Currently, players in Demon's Souls can leave messages both deliberate and accidental - either as little notes, or in the form of blood stains that show an unlucky player's last few moments of life. This leads to more than a few cases of death by schadenfreude, as you're often too busy laughing at someone being pushed off a ledge to notice the death knight sneaking up behind you with a wicked glint in his eye. Players can also recruit other players as blue spirits to help with difficult areas or, conversely, less socially minded players can invade other people's games and try to murder them. One of the game's bosses isn't really a boss at all, but another player plucked from the server for you to fight against. This quirky player interaction is part of what makes Demon's Souls so interesting - well, that and its malevolent difficulty curve - and sadly, it's not going to be around forever. "While the reality is that one day the servers will ultimately close due to operation and maintenance costs," says the Atlus press release, but it goes onto add, "that day is not today."

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/22/atlus-continues-demons-souls-server-support-into-2012/]

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Makes sense. Taking them down would reflect poorly on the game they are about to release.

StrixMaxima

Sep 8, 2008
Good stuff, since I'll let Dark Souls bake a little and keep on playing Demon's Souls for a little while longer, since I haven't exhausted that title yet.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Fearzone said:
Makes sense. Taking them down would reflect poorly on the game they are about to release.
Atlus isn't handling the US release of Dark Souls. Namco Bandai is. I just hope that Namco Bandai are as benevolent in the future with their servers.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
That reminds me I need to finish them game
I only need to kill the Blue dragon and the King!!!

So hard :(

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
Yay! It's great as a strictly single-player game, but it's even better with everyone else's ghosts running around.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
I'll be really sad to see them go... i never did do that entire Black / White World Tendency run for the trophies. I started, but i stopped halfway through and didn't pick it back up again for whatever reason...

I really must make the most of the time we have left to put my affairs in order, get that platinum, and invade some poor soul's world. (See what i did there?)

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
What maintenance does it really need to keep a server up? Am I being thick?

Couldn't they farm it out to some crazy fanboy to have in his shed?