Demon's Souls Traverses the Nexus to Europe

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Demon's Souls Traverses the Nexus to Europe

Europe will finally be graced by the presence of one of history's most challenging RPGs.

European videogame players, your demon worshipping has been rewarded. Namco Bandai officially announced today that it has teamed up with Sony to bring From Software's Demon's Souls to Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia Pacific regions.

Despite critical acclaim from releases in both Japan and North America, and big sales [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99980-Demons-Souls-Sales-Triple-Expectations], this trek has been a long time coming for Demon's Souls and was often rumored to not be happening at all. Now, not only is the hardcore action-RPG making its way to many new countries, but those countries will also be getting what seems to be the game's ultimate edition.

The version to be released is called the Black Phantom Edition and will come with an artbook, soundtrack, and a strategy guide Namco Bandai is calling "new," meaning it will likely differ from the one North American purchasers got in the Demon's Souls deluxe edition released to them. The packaging is also a little different, and appropriate, showing off one of the game's often challenging red-colored phantoms. It's being promoted as a limited edition, so pre-ordering would be a very smart move.

Demon's Souls is one of the most unique games to be released in this generation, when games seem to be getting much easier to appeal to a wider audience. Demon's Souls embraces its crushing difficulty, and makes death less of a frustration and more of an expected gameplay mechanic. Okay, death can still be pretty frustrating, until players discover each area's shortcuts anyway. The Demon's Souls: Black Phantom Edition will come to Europe on June 25, 2010, and is a PlayStation 3 exclusive.

Apr 28, 2008
Well, have fun getting destroyed, then pissed on, by this game :p

Seriously, its crushing...

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Funny as hell that I actually inquired to Gameplay and GAME about if it was possible to import games so I could get this. I'll be sure to grab this, but maybe not the Limited Edition.

Edit: I even spoke to the devil at Gameplay to see if they can import games. Apparently, not even for my soul they'll important non-PAL games to Europe. So the decision to finally publish here is fantastic.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Madmanonfire said:
Let the thousands of new invasions begin.
I await them with a manly grin and my +5 Moon and +5 Crescent Uchigatanas.
Oh yes, shit will most definitely be on.

Irridium said:
Well, have fun getting destroyed, then pissed on, by this game :p

Seriously, its crushing...
If you don't take the time to study the game, then I agree.
I can safely tell you that I minimized deaths during Demon's Souls by taking my time, and going slow.

Protip to all of the newcomers: Approach every enemy like it is completely capable of mutilating you. This caution will save your life.
Heroin certainly helps to heighten reflexes.[footnote]That was a joke. Don't do drugs, kids.[/footnote]

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
My question: Will it have different servers to the American and Asian releases? What I would really appreciate is if they'd merge them all, or at least the English-speaking ones. I imported the US Deluxe Edition a while back and have had a blast. It'd be a pity to miss out on all the new players. That, and being in Australia, I'd lag less.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Oh, SON OF A B****!

I'm trying desperately to save for a car, so I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more games at all until Fallout: New Vegas came out. I promised! And now you jump this on me?! Damn you, damn youse all.

Must... resist... masochistic... gameplay...