Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Review - One Button Combo to Meh

MyLifeIsAnRPG

Jan 20, 2011
Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Review - One Button Combo to Meh

Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax, the Sword Art Online and The Devil Is a Part-Timer anime fighting game, feels like it can?t decide to be hardcore or casual.

Read Full Article

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
A lot of this critique is fair but when you go on to describe all quarter circle back input moves as "defensive" or say that the game has no dedicated zoner (Mikoto) or grappler (Shizuo) or that the damage from the autocombo is "decent", I can't help but question your veracity as a fighting game player.

The next game doesn't change any about this, it just has more chars and the burst system is more intricate since now after each round you get to choose between 3 passive buffs, basically, more of those power ups you complained about. The game takes off once you get to a level where you can actually control all these myriad power ups and plan around them occurring. I have been playing the import of this for nearly a year now and I think there's a ton of stuff to love that isn't mentioned. The game is really dynamic and fast paced.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Personally, among my small group of friends that play fighters, this game was too button mashy. I could do massive chains complete with cancels and supers just by mashing buttons and doing random half and quarter circles.

I may not be able to do the same damage in Blazblue with Kagura but I can feel some satisfaction when I do a basic string of combos. I don't get that satisfaction with Dengeki

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Izanagi009 said:
Personally, among my small group of friends that play fighters, this game was too button mashy. I could do massive chains complete with cancels and supers just by mashing buttons and doing random half and quarter circles.

I may not be able to do the same damage in Blazblue with Kagura but I can feel some satisfaction when I do a basic string of combos. I don't get that satisfaction with Dengeki

Basically, if you're mashing, while the chains may "seem" massive, they're actually quite a bit worse than what you COULD be doing, if you actually learned the game properly like BB. Yeah, of COURSE if you're mashing it won't feel satisfying. Stop mashing. Stop being satisfied with the basic easy stuff, explore how to optimize combos, then endeavor to do those right. Therein lies the depth.

Here's some tips:

If you activate the trump card, you get this blue bar right? Well, when that's there, you get to call your assist meterless and in the air and with no summoning pose, you also get to cancel any normal into any other and jump cancel any normal into any other. These properties allow you to do very unique things. Ideally, you wanna go into trump card mid-combo, then continue comboing after the trump card activation, all in one long string. Also, assist-specific routes allow for a lot of variety since there's lots of very different assists.

Endeavoring to figure out all this stuff is the real meat of the game. That it gets overlooked cause you can do 25% of someone's life by mashing A is a grave injustice.