Denis Dyack Wants to Finish Too Human Trilogy

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Denis Dyack Wants to Finish Too Human Trilogy

Silicon Knights could be making a sequel to ambitious but poorly-received Norse "epic" Too Human, if Denis Dyack has his way.

Once upon a time, Too Human was one of the most anticipated games ever for some gamers. It was originally planned as the first installment in a three-part epic saga, and hyped to infinity and beyond by Dyack, who had won gamers' favor with the excellent Eternal Darkness.

Unfortunately, when it came out, gamers realized that Too Human wasn't very good. In fact, our very own Yahtzee listed it as his least favorite game of all time in a Reddit Q&A [http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/glt5k/iam_yahtzee_croshaw_off_of_the_escapists_zero/].

That doesn't mean that Dyack and Silicon Knights need to just throw their hands up in the air and give up, of course. Speaking with IndustryGamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/silicon-knights-on-too-human-we-intend-to-finish-the-trilogy-exclusive/], Dyack said that the trilogy was still on: "We intend to finish the trilogy but no comment beyond that... You know, there's very public litigation around that."

The public litigation referred to is the legal battle Silicon Knights and Epic Games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108891-Silicon-Knights-Keeps-Up-the-Fight-Against-Epic], with the former alleging that the latter offered inadequate support - and incomplete code - for the Unreal Engine. Instead, alleges Silicon Knights, Epic concentrated on its own titles like Unreal Tournament and Gears of War, while the Too Human team was forced to finish the engine itself.

For its part, Epic says that it believes that its actions will be "fully vindicated" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108903-Epic-Fires-Back-at-Silicon-Knights-Lawsuit] by the court.

Too Human may have been wretched, but there's nothing that says a sequel can't be a drastic improvement, right?

...right?

(IndustryGamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/silicon-knights-on-too-human-we-intend-to-finish-the-trilogy-exclusive/])

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Umm... if he really wants to piss away money that bad hookers and cocaine would work just as well...

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
for the love of god!
DON'T DO IT!

unless you make it playable then we can talk

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
I don't care what people say: I loved Too Human.

And I am happy to hear that it may be coming back. Of course, tweaks and fixing it up wouldn't hurt, and might add some new blood to the co-op community.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
You know, I actually enjoyed Too Human. Like, validly enjoyed it. I understand why people would have problems with it, and hey, that's your right. But I'm living proof that there were people out there that actually enjoyed it.

Camarilla

Jul 17, 2008
Diamondback One said:
I don't care what people say: I loved Too Human.

And I am happy to hear that it may be coming back. Of course, tweaks and fixing it up wouldn't hurt, and might add some new blood to the co-op community.
Thank heavens, I thought I was the only one on the Escapist that actually enjoyed Too Human.

Yes, it could have been better, but there have been far worse games out there.

EDIT: Good heavens, there are more of us than I ever realised.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
xitel said:
You know, I actually enjoyed Too Human. Like, validly enjoyed it. I understand why people would have problems with it, and hey, that's your right. But I'm living proof that there were people out there that actually enjoyed it.
I loved and played the shit out of the game. Yeah there are a lot of problems with the game but it could become validly one of the best RPG franchises if done correctly for the last two games.

Samechiel

Nov 4, 2009
Too Human may have been wretched, but there's nothing that says a sequel can't be a drastic improvement, right?
It's funny you should say that, because a sequel would HAVE to be a drastic improvement.

The trick is seeing if Silicon Knights can learn from its mistakes and make a good game instead of Super Crapfest Part Deuce.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
I liked too human as well. I mean I hated the camera that always tried to kill me but I loved what I understood of the story, loved the gameplay and was really disheartened to learn the trilogy had been canceled. The ending reveal was great. This gives me a little bit of hope that I might yet see a sequel.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Tim Latshaw said:
Honestly, I would very much rather see a return of Eternal Darkness.
This
Jonny49 said:
Eternal Darkness 2 or HD remake.

That is all.
And this

I loved Eternal Darkness, played it to death :3

I was so psyched when you get certain sanity loss in game and it shows title for Eternal Darkness 2 xD

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Oh no you don't Dennis! You get right back in there and make a sequel to Eternal Darkness! Nobody wants a sequel to your crappy action-RPG! You think about the horrible things you have said! :mad:

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I haven't played Too Human, but I have played Eternal Darkness. Seriously Dyack, why won't you make a sequel? He's either afraid of money and success like Yahtzee said, or he's afraid he'll ruin it.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I hope the triolgy does get finished, I really liked the game and it ended on such a disappointing cliffhanger.
So, I say please get your way Mr Dyak, I really hope we see a Too Human 2 (Two Human?)

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Listen up Dyack, if the first game was absolute shit, WHICH IT WAS, there is no point in making another one. I respect when people are determined to finish what they started, but normally those things aren't complete abminations!

Ok, I think I'm done.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Get rid of the fucking Valkyrie cutscene every time you die that is unskippable (and to add insult to injury, they give you an achievement for dying 100+ times! Who the fuck does that?!), and the overpowered mobs, and the absolutely shitty DPS classes and.. you might just make "meh" quality. Oh, and the insanely long levels..

I mean damnit, how do you fuck up Norse mythology of all things? That stuff is prime for war/combat epics! /sigh

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Hey look what they're doing with Prey 2. Also I enjoyed Too Human even if I was disappointed that it lacked the 4 player online co op it was supposed to have.