Dennis Hopper As King Koopa: Daddy Needs New Shoes

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dennis Hopper As King Koopa: Daddy Needs New Shoes

Ever wonder how Super Mario Bros. [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000454/] movie? Hey, he needed the money.

People who complain about videogame movies today should treat themselves to the 1993 Super Mario Bros. movie, a widely-reviled film that's earned itself a six percent score on Dan Castellaneta [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/super_mario_bros/] and of course, Hopper himself, not the kind of guy you'd normally expect to show up in what is ostensibly a kid's movie. The experience has obviously stuck with the actor, who was asked recently by Conan O'Brien if he regretted any of the great number of movies he's made over his career.

"I made a picture called Super Mario Bros., and my six-year-old son at the time - he's now 18 - he said, 'Dad I think you're probably a pretty good actor, but why did you play that terrible guy King Koopa in Super Mario Bros.?'" Hopper replied. "And I said, 'Well Henry, I did that so you could have shoes,' and he said, 'Dad, I don't need shoes that badly.'"

I haven't seen the movie myself, but I imagine it takes a special kind of bad to make a six-year-old child trash his own father's acting ability. But the experience obviously didn't sour him on videogames completely: Since the Super Mario Bros. movie, Hopper has lent his voice to Grand Theft Auto: Vice City [http://www.mobygames.com/game/hell-a-cyberpunk-thriller].

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
Oh yeah, that movie was really bad. It's one of the reasosn why you don't see Dennis Hopper much anymore. You can pretty much see his career imploding in on itself as he says the fated word "Bob-omb", (sp?). And who can forget the timless...er...I mean not at all hilarious pizza joke that ran through the entire movie, and wasn't funny in the slightest.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
When I was younger I liked this movie. Looking back, I can see how wrong I was.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Everything you need to know about the movie can be gleaned from the picture in this post. Those are goombas, folks. In trenchcoats. Later in the movie, they dance.

TheWickerPopstar

Dec 6, 2007
I made that woman who was supposed to be Big Bertha (I know, a giant red fish) as a Mii.

At least I got something outta that movie.

raemiel

Jun 8, 2008
I used to like that movie when I was really young, but could never understand why it was nothing like the real Super Mario Bros. Haven't seen it in well over 10 years and that's probably a good thing.

All those people complaining about game to movie adaptations nowadays don't know how good they have it. Street Fighter anyone? (actually around the same age my brother and I thought that film was brilliant)

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I actually liked this movie. And I also kinda liked Street Fighter.

Hear me out, M Bison was awesome. "For you, the day M. Bison destroyed your village was the day your intier life changed. For me. . . It was Tuesday."

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
I always thought it was "So bad it's almost good" myself. I mean, it's just so damn wonky.
Same here. I was never really sure about it as a kid, but after reading Jurassic Park and The Lost World and then seeing what they did to the films (yeah, I read bloody books at an early age) I figured "well, I guess changes for Hollywood are just the thing that you do?". I started writing up my own ideas of game-to-film adaptations that were classically horrible. We're talking Uwe Boll level.

....God dammit I should've moved to Germany and gotten rich making shitty game movies.

In any case, I own both Super Mario Bros. and Street Fighter the Movie simply because they are so bad you have to laugh at them. It's like that movie Dragon Wars. These are the new Evil Dead films. I can't wait for the live action Dragon Ball movie to join their ranks. :D

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I'll put in just barely into the so bad so good category.... MK was better.

I think going with a a dark krystal in happy mushroom land with 5th element elements would do great justice to Mario film.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
i liked it when i first saw it when i was about 10, especially the bit where they slide through pipes on a mattress, it looked like fun

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Well, at least he admitted that he sold out, at least for this movie. Most actors wouldn't even consider admitting it.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
TheNecroswanson said:
TsunamiWombat said:
I actually liked this movie. And I also kinda liked Street Fighter.

Hear me out, M Bison was awesome. "For you, the day Bison destroyed your village was the single most important day of your life. For me. . . It was Tuesday."
There, fixed.
Fixed again. In spite of Street Fighter being a horrible movie, I don't think anyone can deny that Raul Julia was still fantastic and that some of Bison's lines, that one especially, are brilliant.

On-topic, I found this exchange between Hopper and his son to be rather humorous. It is a pity that someone of his talent reduced himself to be apart of such an abominable movie.